Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    And PS:

Hating on Emery at this point is really kinda dumb. The guy isn't flawless and he isn't God but he's done more to revitalize this team in 18 months than JA did in 5 years. He got us a real TE, a marquee top-5 WR, a pro bowl LT, a very promising #2 WR, a power RB, a couple of good looking LB prospects, and a slew of depth vets/UDFAs/late-rounders to pick from.

The OL is the toughest nut to crack and its a work in progress. After multiple busts in FA and the draft, it was hanging by a thread when Emery took over. He's been chipping away at the problem but its by no means "fixed" nor could it be in only 18 months. We will be drafting more OLs in the next few drafts just to catch up on depth which we still lack even if our starting 5 pans out well this season.

And yeah, while not absolving Phil completely, I still believe that Lovie and Tice had a lot to do with the Shea pick, especially since Emery was fresh on the job and didn't have his scouting personnel in place yet.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,392 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    I don't HATE him, I just don't TRUST him yet and it has far less to do with his drafting than other issues.
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    All we have seen from Emery so far are a lot of changes. And the only acquisition that has made any noticeable contribution has been Marshall. If we lose to the Packers twice this year, rest be assured, that Emery is going to get slammed pretty good. Just because you are making drastic changes to the roster doesn't mean you are improving the team. And his first draft class better step up this year. Rather than worry about the OL, I'd worry about these guys he's bringing in that ARE NOT making an impact. At this point, 95% of the guys making an impact are Angelo's boys.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Did you expect him to turn over the whole roster in 18 months? Or lose vet guys like Pep, Peanut, Forte, and Briggs when it wasn't warranted? I would guess not. Comparing those 18 months to JA's decade+ I'll take for example...

Marshall/Alshon over Roy Williams/Johnny Knox
    Michael Bush over Chester Taylor/Marion Barber
    Martellus Bennett over Kellen Davis/Manuleuma
    Jermon Bushrod over Chris Williams/Frank Omiyale
    Jon Bostic over Nick Roach
    Matt Slauson over Chris Spencer
    Current depth/potentials over past depth/potentials

...any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Pining away for the past regime is to ignore the history of midgets, pool jumpers, and pre-injured or has-been trash that JA brought in here on a regular basis, all the while proclaiming that "the talent is there".

Now, back to the original topic of this thread which was Webb and the OL.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Webb isn't going anywhere. The Bears are not going to dump a guy with experience on that OL. They're just making him sweat.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Maybe so...even if his experience seems to have added little to his performance and ability to hold a starting job. At best, 2013 is his last as a Bear.
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL You talk as if the Bears have so many proven and outstanding players on that OL. Plenty of Bears fans will be disappointed when they see Bushrod play and give up some big hits on Cutler. So people can ride Webb all they want but he has actually turned into a serviceable starter at T. He'll be the starting RT. Highly doubt the Bears keep the 5th rd pick in at RT.
  8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Can a guy like Webb ( who has been a starter ) be put on the practice squad then be activated if needed ?
  9. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +481 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    So Webb is okay with you as a starter, but Cutler, likely the best QB the Bears have ever had, is a failure. Do I have that right?
    • Like Like x 5
  10. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Yup, I think you've hit the nail sharky.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Webb is ok as a starter at RT, given the Bears don't have anything better at that spot. But you know what, let's go with Mills instead. So we can hear you all bitchin after a few games how that rookie Mills can't play RT. And what does it matter that Cutler is the 'best' QB the Bears have ever had on the roster? Its just an indictment of how horrible the Bears are at finding QBs. And you got that right he's been a failure for us. Failure at beating the Packers and any good team on the schedule.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Gentlemen, we have located the holder of account #00000001 at Webbnation.com!

This clown has been handed every job he's ever had in NFL football (chiefly because the Bears have has such incompetent O coaches and OLs). And after 3 years of failure and inconsistency and bumbling mental lapses, he was so bad in TC thus far that he lost his job in which his only competition going in was a guy who has been hurt since late-July. He's done as a first-stringer for the foreseeable future and, even if he makes the team as the swing, he will be shown the door next February. .

You can't be serious, dude. Please stop...you're embarrassing yourself.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Reminds me...who was it that got schooled for 3 1/2 sacks + penalties against Green Bay last year? Oh yeah....Webb.
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,156 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    You know, sometimes it's almost DB'esque to hear the denial and the enabling excuses for ol' Webb head. I don't know if it's like "marking out" for a giant sized guy, people don't want to be wrong about him, or the years of investment.

Look, I'd love to see Webb succeed but it's a new system, his football I.Q. has not improved, he's not dedicated to his craft, and he'll be lucky to make the team as the ST at this point. He's not irreplaceable, he's not the only option.

Let him go.... it really IS ok.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,392 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    No. After any player has suited for a certain number of games or has been on the 53 man roster for an entire year they are ineligible for the PS. It's pretty much just rookies and second year guys BH-s.

Practice Squad Eligibility

According to league policy, only certain types of players are allowed to sign to the practice squad. Players cannot have played more than nine regular season games or been on the active roster for an entire year, nor can players be allowed to spend more than two seasons on the same team’s squad unless that team’s active roster never dips below 53 players.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,392 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    What ever happened to our dislike button anyway? Every once in a while someone makes statements so unfounded and so outlandish they really deserve a dislike, you know? I'll ask the staff. ;)

How will the unschooled ever learn without the gentle periodic prod of a good old fashioned "get your head out of your a$$" dislike? Seems such a shame to let this opportunity go to waste these days. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Tonight is absolutely huge IMO for Mills and in turn, Webb. If Mills plays well then I don't expect he will be named a starter, but do think he will earn another week as it. (Rightfully so IMO)

I will be very interested to see what he looks like after a week as the "starter." We will see what happened after a week of full reps and full attention from the coaches. Huge night for Mills to make a statement and I have never hated or loved Webb but I am rooting for Mills to go make a statement.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I actually would love to see Webb succeed (as I think many of us would), but he has had his opportunities under several coaches and this regime does not seem to suffer fools as well as the last regime does.

Kromer is pretty good. If he can't seem to get Webb to actually take his responsibilities seriously, then I only see two more points in time that Webb may make a turn around. One is right now. He IS on the hotseat and this is a reality check for him. If he does not do it now, I think he will be let go (if not now then at the end of the year) and that will be his second reality check and his second opportunity to turn it around. If he does not, he won't stay in the league much longer after that.

That is it. In was inevitable that something like this was going to happen if coaches finally held him responsible for his performance.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +913 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    95% huh?

Draft - McClellin, Jeffrey, Hardin, Frey
    F/A - Brandon Marshall, Michael Bush, Cheta Ozougwu, Nate Collins, James Brown, Matt Blanchard, Jonathan Scott, Sherrick McManus, Joe Anderson

Draft - Kyle Long, Jon Bostic, Khaseem Green, Jordan Mills, Cornelius Washington, Marquess Wilson
    F/A - Jermon Bushrod, Martellus Bennett, DJ Williams, James Anderson, Matt Slauson, Eben Britton, Leonard Pope

Only noticeable contribution by an Emery related player is Marshall? Do you watch the games? We can only measure those picked up in 2012, but of those listed above I would say that Alshon Jeffrey, Shea McClellin, Michael Bush, Nate Collins & Jonathan Scott had noticeable contributions....even if they weren't as full time starters. And for the record, other than about a dozen positions, players get rotated in the modern NFL. I think you are exaggerating a bit, don't you.

By my count (and I haven't listed everyone who will make the 53 picked up by Emery) I've listed at least 21 players that will make the 53 man roster, and 10 of them are starters (and I can easily make the case for a dozen). That would mean at least 19% of the starters he picked up, and 40% of the team he picked up. All of that in less than 2 years. But, giving your prejudice credit it doesn't really deserve, let's say that only half of those listed in my starters/final roster numbers are "impact", then you are still wrong.
    • Like Like x 4
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß

Ill add in that Long, Mills, Greene and Scott all have chances to contribute if not start. Going down the depth chart.

Offense: 7/11

Marshal
    AJ
    M. Bennett
    Bushrod
    Slausen
    Long
    Mills (at least this week)

Defense: 4/11

Anderson
    Bostic
    Frey