Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Keeping 8 OLs

Locks to start: Bushrod, Slauson, Garza, Long (told ya)
    Locks to backup: Brown
    Locks to cut: EWilliams
    PS potential only: Lonergan, Boggs
    Fighting for 3 spots (starting RT + 2 reserves): Webb, Mills, Britton, Scott

Webb: swing T or cut
    Scott: swing T, starting RT, or cut
    Britton: starting RT or cut
    Mills: 8th OL or "injury redshirt" (won't survive a year on the PS, will be poached)

That's pretty much how it looks right now. The only wildcard I see is if we can poach some other OL off the waiver wire from a team trying to sneak a young guy onto their PS.

• Like Like x 2
  2. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    643ß
    Honestly, I'm so sick and tired of the whole Webb experiment, I'm all for keeping Mills, Scott and Britton; cutting Webb loose and let the chips fall where they may. I think, and always have thought, that even Webb's "strong suit" (athletic ability and run blocking) has been exaggerated since he got here. He's not as quick as some suggest.

Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Been trying to count the different combinations of who will get cut and who stays in my head all morning at work, but never got the time. Thanks.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    MP, b/c Long gets to work w/the ones for a week he's a lock to start? I'm not saying it's wrong but it's a bit early to declare victory when last week he didn't start w/the 1's once.

He's got to show he won't get owened in the pre season games to have him as a lock to start...or Brown has to show he cannot handle it regardless.

5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Ric, I know this pisses you off cuz you didn't like Emery's 2 1st round picks so far (a position I have sympathy for) but they are what we have now so no use crying over spilled milk when it comes to setting this seasons roster. Barring something unforeseen (injury), Long is going to start come September bet on it. Right or wrong, like it or not.

It's in the cards, baked in the cake. No way a 1st round pick is going to ride the bench for a 2nd year udfa who hasn't exactly been blowing it up either.

6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I'm leaning that way too, even if it doesn't pan out. I'm hoping Britton performs well when he gets his shot at RT which he very likely will soon (he's RT >> LT) and takes the starting job. We need to keep Mills as the 8th (undressed) to protect him and Scott can man the swing T position with Brown handling swing G.

It's pick your poison here and I think Webb will be even LESS RELIABLE in a pinch if he's riding the bench and collecting a check for doing nothing. If he couldn't be motivated to elevate his game as a starter, he's gonna slack off even more on the pines.

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,906ß
    So your theory is that if Long goes out there tonight, vs the SD's #1 d and gets cutler crushed he's a lock to start the season over Brown? Your positive of this?

if it happens then Emery's a bigger jag then Soul thinks he is. b/c if Long is handed the job b/c of his draft position(btw didn't work for Shea did it) then it's at the detriment of Cutler and the teams ability to properly judge Cutler.

I have no problem w/Long earning it, I have no problem w/being wrong about the pick, but to be handed a job b/c "it was in the cards" then it's a poor businesss decision.

8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    A) I completely disagree that Long is going to go out there and totally crap the bed. He WILL be rusty, make mistakes, etc. but his leash is much longer than someone like Webb's is for instance.
    B) Shea didn't "start" because he didn't have to. We had Pep + Izz + Wooton last year and out DL is always a rotation. The OL isn't generally.
    C) If we had two other kickass guards already in place it would be a very different story. We don't. We have one serviceable vet (Slauson) and two rookies/quasi-rookies fighting for the other job.
    D) I'm talking about reality here, Ric. Brown, and I do like the guy for the future for us, is only a small-school udfa with a few pinch starts under his belt. It's not like Long would be supplanting some proven, experienced vet "just because he's a 1st rounder". The "tie" is going to go to Long because his ceiling is higher and he needs PT. That's just the reality of it. Brown would have to CLEARLY BEAT Long to win the job outright and there's zero sign of that.

#18 MPbears68, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  9. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    643ß
    Just so you know, I think they play tomorrow night bruh. Makes no diff, I just didn't want you sitting on the couch for hours trying to find the game and end up jumping off your roof in a fit of unbridled rage. :confused:

• Like Like x 3
  10. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    Those are my fears as well which is why I'm hoping Mills is a quick study. The kid seems to have the right tools for RT but as raw as he is do you go with him and hope he improves enough as time goes by to not get your QB killed. If he "gets it" we may have a good RT before very long.

Webb never has "gotten it" and sometimes I think the only reason he's remained healthy is that he never extends or exerts himself enough to get injured to begin with. I wasn't always this down on the guy but when you come to camp for the 4th time and you've practically been gifted your position because either your main competition has been traded away or what's left is a rookie and two never were vets and you still blow it then I'm done with him. He's been given every chance and then some to square his game up and he just doesn't seem to care enough to do it.

Scott is an injury risk and certainly no great shakes himself. The lack of sacks doesn't make up for 20 pressures and hits in half a season but unfortunately he's the only one left whose actually had NFL game experience at LT. Britten already proved he's not the guy so what's left? Playing Webb or Scott and hoping it works out is like throwing pennies in a wishing well and hoping you win the lottery only the odds of winning the lottery may be slightly better.

If it's gonna be that bad I'd rather it be that bad with someone who has a future as opposed to those who have none.

• Like Like x 1