Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    Yeah, I was being overly conservative from the roster, starting and impact contribution standpoints. The point will likely be made that much stronger once we get some regular season play in the books.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    I meant to quote mr d and you. it wasn't contradicting your point, but reinforcing it.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    Yeah, I don't expect Mills to be great but if he can be just decent (he will make some mistakes, count on it) that's an accomplishment for a guy with only one week of 1st teams reps under his belt.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +788 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    Thanks, Bearstuff, I started to do a reply like yours but didn't have time to look up the FAs while I'm supposed to be working. I would add that Nate Collins, Kyle Long and Khaseem Green are contributors as well (or will be by game 1).
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'll join you in that wish Grizz. He and Long are getting their shots with the first team tonight and if this is the future right side of the Bears OLine then it would be nice to see some signs of it. I'm looking for potential here, not perfection.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    Unless Mills absolutely sparkles (which isn't realistic to expect), I hope they give Britton a good look at RT. He was a solid player there before his injury and supposedly is fully healthy again. A lineup like this could be a good option:
    Bushrod - Slauson - Garza - Long - Britton
    (Reserves--Mills/Brown/Scott or Webb)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Nope, but he's an expert on college football and the next generation of great NFL QBs. Future All Pros every one of them and he even guarantees it. :rolleyes:

Exaggeration???? Is that what that was? I had a couple of other words in mind myself. :p

Great post brother. At least some of us can back up our posts with facts. :)

Oh, and can I have my dislike button back for a bit. I could really use it just about now. ;)
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    I agree, but from what I see they are not to open to recalibrating a players potential after injury (Carimi)
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß

The man certainly does not the facts cloud his judgement.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    There was no need or motivation to sign Britton if they had no intention to give him a shot. His injury occurred a couple years ago with another team.

And I think a lot of Carimi's final disposition had to do with attitude. As in....GC blowing off OTAs and snubbing the new coaching staff trying to install a new offense. Somehow I don't think Emery would have pulled the plug on a former 1st rounder so fast if Carimi had gotten with the program better.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    Is he that Webb-loving "you'll all eat a bag of dicks" guy from a year ago?
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    Definitely possible. I think it developed into a tit for tat (BTW, I would never trade away a tit for just a tat) situation where they told him he would not compete for T and so he practiced elsewhere hoping to go elsewhere.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,660ß
    oh boy... I forgot about him. yeah, I remember, the dicks came bulk in a bag or a bigger barrel for those that just can't get enough. I don't think so. The bag of dicks guy was really not into personal insults as much. He was opinionated, but I got along with him ok.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I'll buy this MP. What they wanted in Carimi is a guy who could play both OT and OG and it looks like Britton is that same type so I guess we could see it as swapping one for the other and getting a late round pick to boot. It's looking a bit different now then it did initially.

Whether or not Carimi's decision to miss those voluntary OTAs was the deciding factor it looks to me like signing Britton was the catalyst that made trading Carimi possible. As long as it works out with Britton getting a solid shot at unseating Webb or Scott at RT and Swing OT then it's about the same as having given Carimi that same shot.

I'm gonna be watching to see how Britton handles playing LT. That's his path to the 53 man roster. If either Webb or Scott get the nod at RT then the only choice we have for another OT besides Mills is one who can also backup at LT so in the event Bushrod is injured they don't have to shake up the entire line. If Britton can do it then either Scott or Webb should become expendable.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    MPbears68 said:

Is he that Webb-loving "you'll all eat a bag of dicks" guy from a year ago?

Well until about a week ago I saw that big of dicks still sitting on our door step right where he left it but it's gone now. Ya' think maybe Webb ate them? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    Soul, I don't know whether this is true or just media bs, but I've read that Carimi had (or developed post-injury) a really bad attitude. Like...he was a 1st round TACKLE and he wasn't gonna lower himself to be stuck working out with the 2s or 3s and he wasn't gonna play guard. Reportedly he didn't like the above at mini-camp and he sure didn't like the idea that he was "a guard" in the coaches eyes most likely. So, he basically snubbed the team and dared them to trade him. From what I hear, he hasn't gotten higher than #2 on Tampa's RT depth chart despite his competition being not exactly a pro bowler. I dunno.....but if that story is even somewhat true, I can understand why the Bears cut their losses and got whatever they could for him. And I say that as someone who was completely stoked when we drafted him.

I hear Britton has struggled at LT unsurprisingly since he's thought of as an RT >> LT. I think they've also given him snaps at G and even C. It seems like they're looking for a reason to keep him as a vet G/T versatile guy. If he can start at RT and reclaim his pre-injury form, that would allow us to groom Mills for a year rather than rush him and keep Scott and Brown as the swings. I do hope they give him a legit shot to stick in some role as my patience with Webb is out.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I can see some truth in what you said in paragraph one. Some of it may even have been justified but we aren't ever likely to know the whole story. I think he had issues with the Bears medical staff and their trainers too and that may also have come into play. My feelings were that if healthy he deserved his shot at getting his RT spot back especially considering who his competition would be but Trestman seemed to immediately label him as an OG and I think that was an insult to him so.......

But it would appear that Britton is seen as a similar type with very similar skills and similar level of talent. Carimi was no LT either despite playing there in college. It would be great if they can find a place for him and maybe even better if he can win a starting spot at RT. Then we can surely keep either Webb or Scott as a Swing OT and let Mills develop at RT behind Britton. Unfortunately it never seems to work out that way when we're talking about the Bears Oline. Right now I'm seeing another half season of struggles before it begins to fit together.
  18. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I too would like to see Britton at RT. His biggest problem is that he got injured. I think a change of scenery will do him wonders.

Even if Uncle Phil had drafted DeCastro in the 1st round we still would have needed to draft a few guys this year. Especially to replace JaMarcus
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,588 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,785ß
    JP, no doubt but Shea, outside of one play, got manhandled again tonight more often then not. Hoge, Holmes, Mullins, and a few others were just shaking their head about how he just was getting mauled, until he finally broke through on an obvious passing down.

The guy has to be a Rover w/out his hand in the dirt until 3rd and long. The minute the T gets his hands on Shea it's over for him. I might well have been wrong about Long, but Shea is creaping into bust material unless the team moves him out of DE.

Bushrod and Slauson started slow, but Bushrod showed why he's better then Webb....stat's be damned and there is a reason why Webb is now a swing backup and Brushrod is a pro bowler and starting LT. Long and Mills looked damn good. And really I saw a few plays were even Webb was looking okay against the 2's.

It was nice to see the O finally get some drives done.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    506ß
    I realize SD's DL is not one of the NFLs elite, but the right side of the OL (Long especially) was pretty damn impressive. Long solidified his shot to start and Mills didn't hurt his case either. Webb is in trouble.

I agree Wooton > Shea big time as a true DE and Mc has to be a two stance guy in all but obvious passing downs. The D and ST looked great and the O, while not eye-opening, took a step forward. Cutler needs to get past his Marshall fixation which cost us a dumb pick.

Blanchard's injury cost him a big shot to impress so McCown has the inside track now as #2. And Ford made a case to stick.