Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    And PS:

Hating on Emery at this point is really kinda dumb. The guy isn't flawless and he isn't God but he's done more to revitalize this team in 18 months than JA did in 5 years. He got us a real TE, a marquee top-5 WR, a pro bowl LT, a very promising #2 WR, a power RB, a couple of good looking LB prospects, and a slew of depth vets/UDFAs/late-rounders to pick from.

The OL is the toughest nut to crack and its a work in progress. After multiple busts in FA and the draft, it was hanging by a thread when Emery took over. He's been chipping away at the problem but its by no means "fixed" nor could it be in only 18 months. We will be drafting more OLs in the next few drafts just to catch up on depth which we still lack even if our starting 5 pans out well this season.

And yeah, while not absolving Phil completely, I still believe that Lovie and Tice had a lot to do with the Shea pick, especially since Emery was fresh on the job and didn't have his scouting personnel in place yet.

• Like Like x 2
  2. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,730ß
    I don't HATE him, I just don't TRUST him yet and it has far less to do with his drafting than other issues.

3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

ßearz ßuckz:
    All we have seen from Emery so far are a lot of changes. And the only acquisition that has made any noticeable contribution has been Marshall. If we lose to the Packers twice this year, rest be assured, that Emery is going to get slammed pretty good. Just because you are making drastic changes to the roster doesn't mean you are improving the team. And his first draft class better step up this year. Rather than worry about the OL, I'd worry about these guys he's bringing in that ARE NOT making an impact. At this point, 95% of the guys making an impact are Angelo's boys.

4. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Did you expect him to turn over the whole roster in 18 months? Or lose vet guys like Pep, Peanut, Forte, and Briggs when it wasn't warranted? I would guess not. Comparing those 18 months to JA's decade+ I'll take for example...

Marshall/Alshon over Roy Williams/Johnny Knox
    Michael Bush over Chester Taylor/Marion Barber
    Martellus Bennett over Kellen Davis/Manuleuma
    Jermon Bushrod over Chris Williams/Frank Omiyale
    Jon Bostic over Nick Roach
    Matt Slauson over Chris Spencer
    Current depth/potentials over past depth/potentials

...any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Pining away for the past regime is to ignore the history of midgets, pool jumpers, and pre-injured or has-been trash that JA brought in here on a regular basis, all the while proclaiming that "the talent is there".

Now, back to the original topic of this thread which was Webb and the OL.

#24 MPbears68, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

ßearz ßuckz:
    Webb isn't going anywhere. The Bears are not going to dump a guy with experience on that OL. They're just making him sweat.

6. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Maybe so...even if his experience seems to have added little to his performance and ability to hold a starting job. At best, 2013 is his last as a Bear.

7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance
    Expand Collapse

ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL You talk as if the Bears have so many proven and outstanding players on that OL. Plenty of Bears fans will be disappointed when they see Bushrod play and give up some big hits on Cutler. So people can ride Webb all they want but he has actually turned into a serviceable starter at T. He'll be the starting RT. Highly doubt the Bears keep the 5th rd pick in at RT.

8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    Can a guy like Webb ( who has been a starter ) be put on the practice squad then be activated if needed ?

9. shark86x

shark86x
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,020ß
    So Webb is okay with you as a starter, but Cutler, likely the best QB the Bears have ever had, is a failure. Do I have that right?

• Like Like x 5
  10. 4dabers

4dabers
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    690ß
    Yup, I think you've hit the nail sharky.

• Like Like x 1