Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß

I wasn't able to watch. What happened to Blanchard? Damn... I wanted that kid to get some time in.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    He was in one series and got hurt. Don't know the severity. McCown finished the game.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    Just great....
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    No offense, but is this a big deal? Our season doesn't rise or fall depending upon Blanchard or McCown. We are done if either has to start more than say two games. And just like no one is going to pick up JM if he's cut, no one is going to poach MB off the practice squad either if he's sent there (and he does have another year of eligibiliy). These two players are not "key", either of them.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    It's been discussed almost to the point of beating it to death that McClellin won't hold up as an every down end on either side of the line playing at 245-250lbs which is where he is again. He put weight on only to lose it right back again once camp started. So you are right when you say they need to move him around and use him much like GB uses Matthews but still within the context of a 4-3. He wouldn't have played as much RDE as he did if Pep was playing but on that sack he showed exactly what makes him dangerous. He's very quick and elusive and nearly impossible to block in space but at 250lbs or less he's not gonna win that many battles in hand to hand combat with 320-350lb OTs.

He's a pure penetrator and playmaker and that's how he needs to be used. As a bullet and not a sledgehammer. That kid Whiteside is more of a sledgehammer because he's playing at a weight that McClellin can't seem to reach or keep on. But how do you label a guy as a bust that made a key sack and created a turnover that got you points? Come one man, that's not at all correct. You and everyone else who think he's a bust just because he isn't the every down DE he was promoted to be need to drop that kind of thinking. He's exactly what he was drafted to be, a playmaker whose gonna make impact plays all game long but isn't gonna be your typical four down LDE.

If he can eventually add bulk and keep it on he may hold up better playing manned up on an OT but if not then you keep using him that way we have and if we do end up playing some 3-4 he becomes an every down OLB much like Matthews. I'd still rather have him playing for us than against us wearing green and gold which is where he may have ended up if we didn't draft him.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,574 / 15 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    We should trade Webb to a team that plays the Bears. That would help Shea get a sack or two. I think its a good idea. Why not? We came here to win right?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    It was disappointing that we didn't get a chance to see more of him. He got hurt on a sack trying to throw the ball away probably when he landed on his left hand or someone else landed on it. It's not his throwing hand and all they said on ESPN was that he was taken to the locker room for Xrays. I didn't hear any further reports after that but we'll know more in the AM.

I didn't get a chance to see last weeks game but from what little I saw tonight the kid has good pocket presence and can make plays with his feet like Cutler can. We only saw it once tonight but as time goes by I think Trestman will use a lot more roll outs and naked boots with Cutler because he can do that very well. I don't see McCown having the kind of stuff it takes to throw on the run but I do think Blanchard does and with some coaching and more experience he looks like a kid who can step into a #2 spot and HE may be the guy we build some "read option" stuff around. He can run and if his college career and last weeks performance is any indication he can throw pretty well too.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    Blanchard was given high praise last week, outside of the one bad int, and while running for his life, he made some really nice downfield passes.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß

No offense taken. Yes, personally, I think it is a big deal for the following reasons.

1) I have been a proponent of Cutler. I still am, but judging from this game, the things he needs to correct have not been excorcised yet. They may never be. There is a chance that a new QB will be needed. I don't give a damn where a person was drafted... only how that person performs Blanchard has done well in college and seems to be able to play well in the NFL. At the very least, I think we are looking at a competent backup QB. His only reps are going to be 4 times in preseason games. 25% of his possible reps just got eliminated. In addition, for the second time, the guy has been running for his life. That means the depth we have at OL sucks. Not that we didn't know it, but we got to see it in living color. Twice. So that is more bad news as it pertains to a possible injury of the players on the OL.

So when you have a good player that needs reps to get better and now he can't... Well, yeah, that's a big deal. We really don't have a longer term BU solution at QB. McCown is not long term and he just is a solid guy that will keep you in the game and MAYBE win it. Blanchardhas the potential to be a guy that can win games for you and after this preseason chances are he won't be able to continue his development until next year. He will practice on the third team, but that won't make him better by much. More just keeping him in football shape and upping his football IQ for next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    My man . Tks
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Oh you mean that game where Cutler was equally atrocious?
  12. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Who other than Marshall made any contributions in 2013? You really think Bush made an impact last year? No he didn't. Jeffery didn't make an impact either. So yes like 95% of those additions in 2012 contributed virtually nothing to the team.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  13. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Let me tell you...if you think Jay Cutler is the future of the Chicago Bears past 2013, then yes I am an expert on CFB QBs. Cutler showed once again last night that he has the Good Rex/Bad Rex syndrome. We've been seeing this from him for how long now? Its typical Cutler. Time to start over with one of the rookies from the 2014 class.
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So Mills is a proven upgrade over Webb at this point? One preseason game doesn't make the case.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Didn't say that. But 3 seasons + TC/PS#4 proves that Webb is a do-nothing-but-the-bare-minimum-to-get-by lackadaisical, uncoachable, worthless-with-with-no-upside oaf. I dread even keeping him as the backup swing T (a position he's ideally suited for on paper) because how much preparation and effort is he going to give sitting on the bench collecting a check when he didn't even do any of that when he was a starter?
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
  17. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    485ß
    2013 hasn't happened yet, and your unwillingness to acknowledge players contributions only proves my point even more. I win.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    So YOU say, and say, and say, and say, and say some more and saying it still doesn't make it so. You're dislike for Cutler as a person blinds you to any good that he does. You only see the negatives from a viewpoint that's so blinded by your dislike for him and so narrow minded that your head would fit through a 2" mail slot.

If it wasn't so costly to mail you and your sack of opinionated non-factual bs I'd stuff you through one and mail you back where you came from. Surely there's another fan site full of fans who think just like you do, isn't there? Well on second thought, probably not. :(
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Impossible to say at this point, D. Cutler has yet to throw a single pass this year and until we see a whole body of work nobody could already be making that call. Anything could happen this year from Cutler throwing or 5k yards to him having a career ending injury, we just don't know. This is kinda a topic that is about 6 months ahead of it time.
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +667 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    360ß
    The starting line is as obvious as Ditka's stash. There are so many things they can do with Long's crazy athleticism. So looking into the future with Garza getting older Long would be the perfect replacement. He's Covert and Hilgenberg all wrapped into one freak beast.