Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Time for poll
    LMAO MP
  2. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH

Ratings:
    +39 / 1 / -0
    maybe it's just me, but I'd rather start Long with Mills this year than seeing Carimi or Webb as a Bear. This is a transition year and getting Mills and Long playing time will only do them good. Bushrod will be the reason that Cutler won't get killed out there.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Cutler go at the end of the year but I sure hope he stays. Getting WRs has nothing to do with Cutler staying... we finally have some that can catch the ball and thats something every QB needs
  3. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +818 / 0 / -0
    Oh but not for the omniscient Mr D., Grizz. And he even know which college QB we should draft in 2014 whose guaranteed to be better right from the get go. ;)

Think I should post the definition of omniscient so he knows what it means? :p
  4. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +818 / 0 / -0
    Well he's now been officially demoted and taken a pay cut to go along with it so his train is already half way out of the station. If he doesn't get his shit together and play half way decent as Bushrod's backup then he'll be catching the caboose out of town and we'll have Scott as a backup LT. :eek:
    • Like Like x 1
  5. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    but dont you see this situation as progress soul? Under Lovie accountability only happened on defense. If we had this attitude with the offense in the lovie years could you imagine how good we could be with the defense we had in their prime? But no ST and Def and the rest be damned. WTF kind of philosophy is that? Right now no job is safe so you will see more hustle from our guys if they want to keep their job but in webbs case he is too busy with webb nation to worry about that.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    What we are seeing is a pattern of cutting losses and moving on quickly by the new regime. Urlacher (age/injury/cost), Rodriquez (arrests), Carimi (injury/bad attitude), Louis (injury), KDavis (obvious suckitude), and now Webb is next on the launching pad.

You may occasionally give up too quickly on a guy and see him go on to another team and have success but you gotta admit the new bosses in town are decisive.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,514 / 0 / -0
    I agree. It is good to see decisive moves rather than dying a slow death with some of the garbage players "hanging on" too long. If they can't play then cut your losses and move on. Next man up. Lovie seemed to move at a glacier speed when it came to making adjustments of any kind (both in games AND in personnel moves). I hated it.

Regarding Webb, I think the problem is in his head rather than physical attributes......so how do you fix that? I don't think you can. Maybe he is good enough to be a backup - but - if he isn't and they make up their minds to cut him, then I'm hopeful we get something for him. Anything. I'll bet there's a 50/50 chance some desperate team could give us a 7th or even 6th round draft pick in 2014 for him.
  8. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I'm a geologist, and I believe a glacier could easily beat Lovie in a race. (Unless the race included throwing red flags.)

But I agree with the blue statement. How refreshing to see REAL accountability. Webb only has his immature attitude and lack of perseverence to blame for his position on the hot seat. Speaking of seats, I doubt he could win a game of musical chairs with kindergarden kids. He'd be too busy juggling the bags of tacos and burgers.
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    My attitude of having him as a starter for that kind of money preempted any desire to even have him on the roster at all. Even with the pay cut, we may have a previously unmotivated player turned into a motivated 'victim' playing even worse.

Still, I'm expecting the Bears/Trestman to make the next move by severing ties if that happens just like he was demoted & paid more in line as a backup. If he's kept as a backup, I'm sure it will be for the reason he's the best we've got at the moment which doesn't mean they won't be watching the wire down the road for better options.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Webb is done, fellas. He may hang on for a while as the swing but he will be gone as soon as can be accomplished. At most, he sticks for the 2013 season and is shown the door in FA. The writing is on the wall. He's not in Emery's/Trestman's plans.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    MP I believe that. Mills proves what I was saying this offseason, you don't have to draft high round guys at the OL if the GM/HC know what they are looking for....and a T in this system isn't as needed as the G is. So chances are the team will either pick up a cheap vet T to play swing next year, or they'll draft another mid round T to do it.

Only way Webb sticks is if this pay cut and demotion changes his mental approach to the game; it's possible, but normally it's a cut that changes that...when you lose that job/paycheck you take it a lot more serious.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Well, Ts tend to go higher than Gs and you don't generally expect a 5th round pick to become your starting RT on opening day of his rookie season. If that's the way it pans out for us, it's mostly because our other options sucked and/or failed. It certainly wasn't planned this way.
  13. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    i think allot of the attitude on why bums hung around in the previous regime was laziness to start from scratch with new talent, not wanting resources used for adding to defense taken away, and arrogance. You have people like tice getting a big head cause everyone raving about how he got the most of a bad oline even though we were always ranked horribly. We saw time and again most of the draft and FA money went to defense and st. And laziness to develop talent was obvious just check out the red shirt theory which is nonsense
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    absolutely right, but good training and a system set up to let the T's have it easier allows for this. It's also why I don't think you'll see Long move to T, that and Suh plays inside.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    I disagree with drafting a rookie tackle to play swing. You just pick up a vet OT whose played both sides before. There are tons of those guys out there on the fringes of the NFL looking for a way back in.

It's how Webb is going to earn his paychecks for the next 6 years, floating from team to team as a swing tackle with great potential that he will never realize.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    might be right we, and I'm all for a balance of youth and vet on the line, next year Brown/Slauson/Bushrod will probably be on the line w/Long/Mills being young(2nd year players), so another rookie wouldn't bother me so much...and Kromer is capable of actually teaching/developing linemen so I could see them being happy either way.
  17. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    But a rookie should not be signed specifically to play swing tackle. They won't do well at it since experience at both spots is essential to make that work, and if we sign another OT it should be because we have no prospects right now to develop.

I could see a second year player filling in as the swing on their way to developing as a potential starter, so if Mills flames out early at RT I'd be okay to fill him in there as a temporary landing spot for the kid if he's got the chops to spot play LT after a year with Kromer.

For me, rookie draft picks should be used to shore up future areas where we have a lack of depth, like corner and QB.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,798 / 5 / -4
    well Long/mills/shea/bostic/greene were all picked b/c they can play multiple positions; but I don't really disagree w/you....just sayin I can see the team doing this. Especially a guy that they can groom into a LT behind Bushrod but can also learn RT.

I agree w/you about how the draftr should be set up also. 6 draft picks, this year and the way Emery seems to be able to get guys that work for his system in the mid rounds and I think the future is bright for the Bears depth.
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    Know what you're talking about first and foremost. Don't come on here posting Google search results without even having watched the Bears last year. If you actually watched every game last year and followed the Bears, you wouldn't have spouted that nonsense about Scott to begin with. Webb isn't my boy. He is however a valuable backup at this point in case of injury or Mills flopping badly in an ACTUAL REGULAR SEASON. Not a preseason game mind you.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +837 / 1 / -0
    Webb is a valuable backup swing T on paper and that's the problem. Yes, he's healthy and has experience starting at both ends. The problem is, he's never shown much effort, grit, or coach-ability in 3+ years as a starter so it's fair to question how much less of that he will put on display as a backup collecting a check from the bench, if called upon to fill in in a pinch. He OUGHT to be "motivated", but he never has been before when he was a 1st stringer so that calls into question how "valuable" he would actually be as a backup, doesn't it?
    • Like Like x 1