Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I just hope that after ALL this that the excuse "well we have nobody else" will never apply again esp. to a foundational position. We always were able to field "somebody else" at all the OL positions except for Webb.
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    The question would be if he was ready to play as a backup. He was starting regardless of his performance the past two years, and now the coaches have to ask themselves, "This guy wasn't ready to play as a starter. How far is he going to slide as a backup?"
    • Like Like x 1
  3. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Wait, 6 draft picks? Did I miss something? I thought we'd have 8 with the extra Carimi pick. What am I missing? I'm being serious, did we make another Brian Price move and lose another 7th?
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  4. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Holy shit what the hell is so difficult to understand about Webb being a valuable backup at this point and at his meager salary? What do backups do? They backup starters. You don't need an All pro serving as a backup. Does it even have to be brought up again how Webb graded out similarly to Bushrod last year? And the Bears threw millions at Bushrod.
  5. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    I read this idea repeatedly about PFF and their grading system. It's bullshit. In 2011, there was a LT on the Bills named Demetress Bell who graded out great on PFF. There was talk on the old CBMB that we needed to get this guy in 2012 as a cheap young alternative LT option. He signed with the Eagles last seasonfor a 5 year 34 million dollar contract after Jason Peters got hurt again.

He was awful. He was one of the first guys to get cut in 2013.

My point is PFF ranking does not mean anything. It's a nice rough estimate. If they rank somebody, like Webb's first time at LT where he scored like a -26, then yeah, they are probably on the mark. But when posters compare Webb to Bushrod because they had similar PFF grades, it just doesn't make sense.

And if you don't need an All Pro as the backup, I'd take Scott over Webb. Scott at least will be ready to play. I think if you call Webb off the bench, he will not be game ready as a backup. He lacks the discipline.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    Problem w/PFF they don't take into account how the plays are designed and what the responcibility of the OL is. For NO' the responcibility of the T was to drive the DE out and behind the qb so he can step into the pocket and drive the ball cleanly. Bushrod's job on 600+ attempts was to, by himself 80% of the time, force the DE outside and behind the QB, but b/c of that he got dinged constantly by PFF b/c of "pressures", but he did his job correctly. Webb's job was to stand his man up and keep him in front of him on approx 1/2 the same attempts as Bushrod, and he was only SLIGHTLY better w/his pressures and was WORSE in sacks.
    TL;DR
    So PFF's OL system is fundamentally flawed, and imo the only "pressure" that counts is when the QB has to change his standard throwing motion.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I would take Webb as the swing T over Scott. Scott played equally bad last year and can't stay healthy. Yes Webb has the maturity and work ethic of a toddler but I feel he is our best option and well pray it dosent come to him.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,484 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    Grizz, that's how I see it, kinda like the backup qb position. Just have to pray Cutler stays healthy b/c McCown just not good.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I hadn't thought about it that way, but it's a GREAT observation. I'm beginning to think Webb just isn't cut out for football at the professional level. It's like coaches thought in the past, that just because he has the physical attributes to play the game at a high level, that it was a "done deal" that he WOULD play the game at a high level.

But this didn't account for his mental/emotional/maturity attributes. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who would be better off at a different job in life. Seriously. Maybe a job where he can just be a "gentle giant" who enjoys interacting with people. The issues that make him a poor starter, would probably make him a poor backup too.

The "Webb Experiment" failed. Time to move on.

[​IMG]
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I'm not saying we need him long
    Term. This year swing T. That's it in almost all scenarios. He is a better player than Scott who is old and can't stay healthy. IMO Scott should be cut and the question is really Webb vs Britton. Now if someone makes a case for Britton I would be more open to that idea than Scott.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    Holy shit, Mr. D, what the hell is so difficult to understand about Webb being an uncoachable, lazy slackass whose basic reliability, focus, and motivation is highly questionable to begin with....much less possibly coming in cold from the bench???

Can you understand why his lack of discipline and preparedness might seriously compromise his ability to even be a "backup"? Don't you get that???
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    WEBB a back up ,....

[​IMG]
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Excellent post. This should be a sticky regarding Bushrod vs. Webb.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    There's got to be a reason the coaches are still hanging onto Scott. Maybe it's Emery's hubris because he brought him in, or maybe because they think he's the best swing tackle we have on the roster. I've seen Britton play OT, and I'd rather drag Webb's dead ass off the bench before I reached for Britton.

I think they are waiting to see just where Scott's drained knee is. If it's okay, we will probably enter the season with Scott and either Britton or Webb, depending on how Webb responds to this demotion to swing tackle. Hell, we moved on quickly from Carimi, and he was a much higher cost/ draft pick to lose. It costs us nothing to cut or keep Webb, so they don't even have to consider financial ramifications.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    Scott is marginal even as a backup. I'm just hoping none of our tackles go down to injury this year or we're screwed. As bad as Webb is, I'd almost rather see him go in instead of Scott. Either way though, we're screwed. When you think about it, it's pretty scary that we may have a green rookie from the 5th round as our starting tackle this year - that speaks to how horrific our backup talent is.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    No, it speaks to how pathetic Webb's dedication and discipline is that, as a 4th year starter handed the RT job, he promptly lost it to a 5th round rookie who simply cared more.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    I agree with you. Actually, the best situation would have been to have had a reasonably decent RT in place for this year (not Webb or Scott), so that the 5th rounder could be the backup his first year. He could have learned his craft before being pushed into starting as a rookie. Hey, I do like Mills. But he's definitely a "work in progress" and not really a best-case solution for a team to push into being a starter.

I understand that Emery/Trestman inherited a mess on the OL, and that it is a multi-year project to fix all 8 positions (starters and backups). But it's a shame it was left in such bad shape. Webb/Scott/Britton are all pretty poor players IMHO. Yes, Scott too. So I guess we're forced to throw the 5th round rookie into the fire game-1 of the season and just "hope something good happens" and he can minimize the rookie learning curve. Keep in mind this isn't a 1st round pick like Long who has freakishly good physical talent.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Scott's hurdle is how healthy his knee is, but yeah, I see your point and he's been floating around the league for a reason, and why he's making league minimum.

I think if Scott's knee is fine you will see him starting the actual season instead of a 5th round rookie next to another rookie in Long.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    115ß
    That is exactly what I believe too.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,004 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    If you read Sox's analysis on the Mills Thread, you'll see he's a pretty good talent too. A solid find in the 5th round from a lesser known school. Our two right sided rooks are definitely going to make mistakes and have growing pains but it is refreshing to have two promising talents who are dedicated to working hard and are learning from a true OL guru with the record to prove it.
    • Like Like x 1