Which QB do you want to draft next year?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,202 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
    Best player available. We have plenty of holes to fill and speculating on who will be available at whatever pick we end up with at this point is a waste of time. Players will move up and down the draft boards of teams based upon injuries, bowl game performances, combine performance and rumors.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    How about we make a deal with Goddell and just take him in the 2nd this year for whenever he comes out? Think that would fly?!?
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    Aaron Murray or Zach Mettenberger.

But I'd rather have Cutler than any rookie QB in 2014.

Cutty come back!
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß

NO to boyd. He looked like utter and total sh*t against FSU. Gimme a smart QB with a quick release, who excels at reading defenses and getting rid of the football accurately. I couldn't care less how "athletic" or "fast" or "explosive" he is. I also don't need him to have a "cannon for an arm", so long as his arm is STRONG ENOUGH to make all of the necessary throws. I would take a "Chad Pennington type" over the MIchael Vicks, Vince Youngs and JaMarcus Russells of the world all day long. Two MOST OVERRATED ASPECTS OF PLAYING THE QB POSITION: athletic ability (40 time, vertical, etc.) and arm strength. I will take the intelligent, crafty guy with the quick release AND THE QUICK MIND any day of the week and TWICE on Sundays! Give me a PURE POCKET PASSER and you can keep all of your "running QBs."
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    The pure pocket passer is a dying breed, fact is almost all the top qbs comming out have the ability to take off with the ball. Andrew Luck is the new prototypical nfl qb, guy who can throw from the pocket but also needs to be somewhat accounted for. The "pure pocket passers " limit what your offense can do.

But we are far too early to start this argument, will be a good time passer come January.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    *cough*Peyton Manning*cough*

But yeah...Pocket Passers are just fine in the NFL. The issue is, College is an entirely different ball game now, where Rushing QBs and uptempo, no huddle offenses are dominating right now. Unfortunately, that doesnt really translate as well to the NFL, since defenses are much faster than they are in college, so the effectiveness of mobile QBs are somewhat limited. They kind of took the NFL by surprise for awhile, but now opposing D's are figuring out how to do a better job containing them.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,321 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,498ß
    It's also a rare breed of QB that can run and pass, even more rare then the pocket passer. A running qb needs to do both, and have to be a passer first, which is why Tebow failed but was the best rushing qb in college history.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    My point exactly but these kids know that. That's why you can't compare a Boyd to Vick or Jmarcus Russel. This new breed of "mobile qb" can throw from the pocket and also throw very effectively on the run. The bolded is absolutely key IMO as this is a "must have" trait on an effective guy to play this way. It's not to say one is better than the other, but both are equally effective and rely on different traits to ensure success. It mostly falls to the coach and their preference but never less we can't use that outdated stigma Tebow and Russel gave this style to discount talent.
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    543ß
    Honestly, I'd be fine with Manziel, if he falls into round 2.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

I've thought even in mid first. The good thing about our position in April is we won't be havdcuffed to take a qb like some teams. A lot will have to do with how the round goes
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    543ß
    I've seen him play, and while he has striking playing styles to Cutler, I wonder if a rookie would be more malleable for a Coach to implement his gameplan on. Idk, I just don't think his deficiencies are as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and, if they get him to be more of a game manager, he might just do well. His scrambling style would increase the number of things you could do with the offense (run plays) and he DOES have an arm for the NFL. But, I'm not at all stuck on him, cause if they see a guy they want in the first, then go for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

I agree, and IMO Manziel prolly should be the first qb taken. I know there are questions about his maturity and off the field stuff, but I think alot of that changes or goes away when you go from a godlike legend on campus to a rookie in the NFL. There is also the factor of a paycheck on the line and for some its enough to 'get right.' Regardless, hypothetically, if he is available I don't think it requires much thought. An absolute enormous upside with a slight risk of busting out due to lack of maturity. Again this is way to early to speculate, but it is what it is.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    543ß
    I was thinking his erratic play would be what would drop him, more than off the field stuff. That's all crap that ESPN makes up. For example, if Dan Marino were in this next draft, and there were only rumors of him smoking, he'd be the first guy off the board, no questions asked.
  15. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Would A.J. McCarron be a good pick for us like in the 2nd round?
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,321 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,498ß
    Not all of them, Tebow was a fail and he's a "new breed" Keap is struggling w/a sub 60% comp % and has as many TO's as TD's this year, RGIII is only at 60%(btw 60% is below average), and has more TO's then TD's, Tebow is out of the league, Russell is the only one sitting above 60%, but barely at 61(about average in the nfl), and has 1 less TO then TD, but ya these running qb's are just lighting it up.

The jury isn't out on how great the new "running qb is" Teams are starting to figure it out and much like the wild cat, it might well be gone in 2-3 years. And while Luck CAN and WILL run, he's primarily a pocket passer first. He's more Steve Young then RusWill or RGIII.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

There are examples on both sides. Cam has a qbr of 110 plus this year. (Higher than Brady and Rodgers) While I agree you can't be like Tebow and not have the ability to play from the pocket having a mobile qb is an undeniable weapon. Most the mobile guys are young as well so we shall see.
  18. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I was just reading this...

Ask 10 NFL executives about building a championship team. Nine of them will say it starts with the quarterback. The 10th likely has a Vince Young or Ryan Leaf on his resume. If the Bears let Cutler go after this season, it would take until 11:01 p.m. on the first night of NFL free agency for a team to prove that axiom.

If Josh McCown plays well in Cutler's absence, Emery could talk himself into thinking that Trestman's system all but guarantees success for any quarterback — the Rich Gannon Rule. Emery could use McCown's small sample size as the basis to cut ties with Cutler, draft a promising rookie and re-sign McCown as caretaker. He could funnel Cutler's money[​IMG] into a defense needing, well, everything.

---------------
    So, If McCown plays well, it complicates the picture. I doubt that can happen, but if we get to the playoffs with McCown, we'll have a lot to talk about around here!
  19. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Since Cutler will be our starter and McCown will be his back up there is little or no reason to waste a darft pick on the the QB postion when we have more important needs to address.
  20. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Manziel is ok and all but the flop he took running off the field with his "shoulder injury" pretty much did it for me. I think he is beyond help and is nothing more than a clown who will burn out in the near future.