Who is the most underrated QB of all time?

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by Henry Burris, Oct 10, 2013.

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    What are you talking about he's in the HoF. He's has not been forgotten and now you're comparing him to the greats of all time.
  2. Metallman56

Metallman56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I actually agree with most of you in here.

jim Kelly. yeah hes in the HOF but he never won a SB and he was always in the shadow of Montana, marino, and other qbs that have

dan marino. again in the HOF, but again no ring to show for it. imo he's 2nd on my all time list, but I doubt to many others would agree with that.

warren moon, led the viqueens to what 12-0 only to lose to the falcons in the nfc championship. what was he like 40 when he did that?

someone who is not listed that I remember being very good at the time, but I never hear his name again is randal Cunningham.

I also think (activate haters) tebow is very under rated. all the kid did in Denver was win, yet everyone hated him for it. I still don't get that.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    When did I compare him to them? I said he is often fogotten BECAUSE of them, not that he was EQUAL to them. When you hear about the great qb's of the 80's and 90's, his name is rarely brought up, and he was great. Warren Moon actually gets talked about more then Jim Kelly does.

Tebow didn't "win" the D "won". All Tebow did was do what Orton did for the Bears his rookie year, not screw it up and let the D and rest of the team do it for him.
  4. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,407 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Heh, Tebow.

He was as responsible for the Broncos wins as Trent dilfer was for winning a superbowl.... Nada.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Metallman56

Metallman56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12 tds and only 6 ints his rookie year, and went 7-4 as a starter, when the broncos only won 8 games that year. oh and he wins a game against Pitt in the playoffs. and the D was ranked 25th in points allowed, while the O was ranked 24th in points scored. so yeah i'd say tebow did win games, just as much as the D. for a rookie that didn't play the whole season, those are pretty good numbers. especially the wins

don't get me wrong i'm not saying hes a HOFer not by a long shot, I just don't think he's nearly as bad as everyone thinks he is.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    12td's and 6 int's, and a completion % of 46%; and a whopping 1700 yards(in 11 games mind you), Tebow also fumbled 13 times and lost 6 of them. So that's 12 td's to 12 TO's. Ya he's helping his team win.....

JC has those yards and TD's in 6 games so far this season, on 60 less attempts.

Just an FYI so you are aware of what happened in those games Tebow played:
    Den averaged 18 points a game(not the O, if the D scored that's in there too), the team gave up 22 points a game(if the O fumbled for a TD or gave a pick 6 that counts against them).

Wanna know the F'd up part? The O was performing better under Orton, averaging 21 points a game(still pathetic), problem the D was giving up 28. So who stepped up their game again? Was it Tebow/QB play or was it the D?

wanna get more in depth, take out the outlier games, in 11 games take out the best and worst games from both them, and in 5 the best and worst game.

Under Tebow the O only averages 16 and the D is averaging 21
    Under Orton the O is averaging 22 and the D is averaging 25.
    The only unit out of the 4 that gets worse is the Tebow O.

A Pitt team that is chaulked full of inj's and shouldn't have been in the playoffs, hurray for them. What happened next game? They got humiliated 45 to 10.

I'd say you didn't watch many Den games if you think Tebow won those games. If any team that played Denver scored 30 points, it was a guaranteed win.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  7. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Kosar and Jim Everrett are under rated as far as i'm concerned...i'm pretty sure both were one game away from a Super Bowl a couple of times...ok it might have been only once for Everett but him and Kosar weren't anything like the crap that's out there today
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß

comparing Tebow to a veteran QB who actually knew what he was doing and did it well regardless of peoples perceptions is a poor comparison.
    So what if Dilfer didn't have a bunch of stats. He still did an incredibly professional job and did make certain throws when needed. The term game manager is the stupidest freaking term ever. A game manager is the one on the sidelines with a clip board. The Ravens offense still had to produce for the Ravens to win games. Until a defense leads the league ( that means leads both offenses and defenses) in scoring, it is a myth that defense wins championships. As great as their defense was, the offense still had to score points or the Ravens don't win-period. The defense gave them the opportunity to not score as much but the fact is you still have to outscore teams with offense to win games and if Dilfer wasn't good enough he wouldn't have been playing or they would have lost more games.

...rant over LOL
  9. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,407 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß

So what is your point.... That Tebow is underrated, or that dilfer is also underrated?

You're right. Dilfer dod what was needed that year to win, with a defense that broke a record for fewest allowed points, scored many points of their own, and rocked it with turnovers, not to mention a good return game. Oh, and two more words: Jamal lewis.

Fact is that Tebow blows, and so did dilfer. They were both the result of gray other phases on the team.

If Tebow didn't blow, he would have landed a starting job somewhere, and still be playing football somewhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    you don't do whats needed if you suck. Dilfer did not suck,Dilfer did not blow. That's just arm chair fan bullcrap.
    The run game is not effective unless you complete passes. Again you can say all you want about the Ravens great defense but great defense is still nothing more than that = great defense. A defense will never score enough points to win multiple games in a season. All it can do is put the offense in a better position to score and then the offense has to produce. Dilfer produced, You cant not make mistakes unless you know what you are doing. And Dilfer was a pro QB who knew what to do and how to do it.

besides LOL...just on a very basic level you can not say that a Super Bowl winning QB sucks. They simply don't. You just don't need a Peyton Manning when your defense is better then most.
  11. Metallman56

Metallman56 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    ram would you rather have dilfer or marino ?
  12. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß

who has a ring ?
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    dumbest comment ever. One is in the HoF and arguably the best that ever played, probably top 10, the other has a ring b/c of a great D and ST's bailing him out and will never be mistaken as a HoF'r or anywhere close to the top 10.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +718 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    455ß
    Yes and no, Ric.

Dilfer is the worst QB ever to win the Super Bowl. We can all agree on that.

Marino is definitely a Top 5 QB in the history of the NFL but Montana, Young and Manning are better and more complete than him. But that's just my opinion.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    Well that's why I said arguably. I didn't say I would, but no doubt that he's in the conversation. Before Peyton stole a SB from our Bears, many considered him the Marino of our era to Brady's Montana. Those are pretty high praises.
  16. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    just asking who'd I rather have has nothing to do with any of that. Both were in the biggest game of their lives and Dilfer was a much older much wiser man when he got there. He did what he needed and has the ultimate prize. Marino was too young and didn't know what to do and how to do it. He never got back. I don't care about Marino being better his entire career. It has nothing to do with Dilfer having the ring that all want but can not have
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    But that had nothing to do w/his ability. If you put ANY qb in the HOF on that Balt team, they have a ring right now, young or not...same w/that Chicago team that went to, but lost the SB. If the Bears have Marino, they go undefeated and romp to and through the SB.
  18. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    it has everything to with his ability. He wasn't a pro because of NFL sympathy. He was pro because the NFL said he was good enough to be one and he executed as needed. He was an NFL PRO AND DID WHAT AN NFL pro needed to do to get to and win a SB and he's one of less than 48 guys who can say that.

at first I was confused by your Bears losing SB comment LOL but realized that year they lost to the Colts...slipped my mind.

one reason they lost was a having a QB with less experience than a Dilfer LOL
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    Listen I like Dilfer, but even someone that is as bad as Tebow could have won a SB w/that Balt team. I like Dilfer, I actually liked him as a qb more then most, but he wasn't as good as Marino, they aren't even in the same league. If all the past qb's were to have a Thanksgiving dinner, Diler would be one of the very few NFL qb's to win a SB that would be sitting at the kids table, and Marino would be one of the few qb's to not win a sb to be sitting at the big boy table.
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +602 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    244ß
    Wow, by the thinking going to a SB as to QB ability means any ding dong QB that made it to the SB and lost can be compared to Marino. I never knew Grossman was that good until now.