Who makes the cut??

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by RoSto89, Aug 17, 2013.

1. RoSto89

RoSto89

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    What do you think? It was really tough for me to make this, but this is my roster prediction. Its still a bit early. There are a few people I regret leaving off, including: Leonard Pope, Brittan Golden, Matt Blanchard, Armando Allen, Zach Minter, Kyle Moore, Patrick Trahan, and Brandon Hardin. Bold = starter Bold&Italic = slot/nickelback 2013 Bears.PNG
    • Like Like x 1
  2. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +848 / 0 / -0
    There's another 10 days before we trim from 90 to 75 and another game before then so a lot can change between now and then. I've got a list of guys who I'm 100% sure won't make the roster but it's too soon to make interim predictions.
  3. RoSto89

RoSto89

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Well I am just curious of peoples thoughts, and besides, the coaches know about 90% (or more) of the final roster before the 4th preseason game anyways. I'm guessing you don't like looking at draft boards before the draft either?

Fine should I state the questions I posed anyways?
    Do we carry 3 QBs? Do we keep Webb? With all the young linebackers, how many do we keep for special teams? WRs? Do we give up on Hardin?
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    There's a few good articles out there about the 4 phase special teamers, And that is how you'll know who will make the back end of the rosters. All the really good rookie's at are on the bubble(Wilson/Ford etc) won't make the team unless they can make a real impact in multiple areas of ST's. Guys that have been starters for ST's so far have been guys like Weems, Costanzo, Allen, so those(barring inj's) are pretty sure locks to make the team. I'll see if I can't dig of the articles up.
  5. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I like your o-line. I thought the right side did a good job on Thursday and there is upside with more play time. I was dissapointed with Webb. I was expecting to see fire in his play, but everytime the play moved away from him he would stand still and watch the game like a spectator. I am not trying to start a Webb-arguement, but he needs to pick it up.

I will feel better about the d-line when Peppers is back and at full strength.
  6. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I thought we would be further along on QB's by now. All of them have tunnel vision and hold onto the ball way too long. They should be passing the ball within 3-4 seconds on most plays, but it doesn't happen. The o-line has been progressing and we soon we will not be able to hid behind their (line) failure as the lack of offense.

At this point with the serious lack of depth, I don't see him going away. I watched part of the Tampa game to see what Carmini is doing. I didn't hold out long enough to see him. He is not on the 1's.
  7. RoSto89

RoSto89

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I was debating between Allen and Ford. Im not sure if he has made many impact plays outside of the big returns or not. Trahan is another ST player I was thinking about but can you keep 8 LBs and where do you take way from? Unless you switch out JT. An article on the 4 phase ST players would be awesome.

I feel like with Blanchard's injury and this being a must win year for Cutler, we won't keep 3 QBs. I do like Blanchard though.

Webb... My thoughts are, we know he isnt going to start, but he is talented. I havent been playing close enough attention to Britton but I think with his experience playing both tackles and guard with the Jaguars will add more value to him. It seems like the coaching staff likes Scott but with his knee issue, idk. Oh, don't get me started on how disappointed I am with Carmini...
  8. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +848 / 0 / -0
    Well that has absolutely nothing to do with the question you asked so it's irrelevant what I do or don't do prior to the draft. If you must have an answer go search my pre-draft threads and then you'll have one.:rolleyes:

You can state the question anyway you want but my answer wouldn't change. I don't know exactly who makes the cut and who doesn't yet. There are two and half more weeks of practice and two preseason games yet to be played and injuries will play into it as well. So I haven't decided what I think about any of those specific players or situations you mentioned and that is a legit answer to your question RoSto.

You want me to name a few names? OK, here's a few who don't stand a chance based on what I've seen so far; Derek Dennis/OG, A J Lindeman/OT, Russell Brent/DT, EWill/OC-OG, Gabe Miller/TE, Demontre Hurst/CB, Josh Lenz/WR. But none of those even come close to answering the specific questions you posed. That's why I answered as I did.

Cheers.
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    Not only was he great on the return, but Ford was also the first man in on a couple ST tackles. Wilson hasn't been very noticeable on ST, but I still keep him for upside as a WR alone. Ford is a lock in my mind. Weems, Cantstandya and Allen can all take a hike as far as I'm concerned, but if I had to keep one, it would be Cantsandya. Allen is an entirely replaceable ST'er and Weems hasn't done anything to impress me in any phase.
  10. RoSto89

RoSto89

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    @soulman, I was just giving you grief, haha. I'm just excited about Bears football and live in Maryland where I have to listen to obnoxious Ravens fans.

I cant remember watching the preseason if it was Hurst or Wilson I noticed making some nice tackles. One of them just seemed to flow to the ball and be near the play. Both will likely be candidates for the practice squad.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. RoSto89

RoSto89

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    That's basically what I noticed about Ford, he seems like a 'football player'. I'm not sure how I feel about Weems. I haven't really noticed his special teams play, he seems replaceable especially with Ford's return ability. I'm afraid if we try to stash Wilson away on the practice squad he will be snatched up by another team. Like you said, upside. Costanzo feels like a keeper for ST.
  12. Akuma2000

Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    I hope Ford takes the 3rd RB spot from Allen, but i'm guessing he'll work on ST's for now unless Bush goes down with injury......good thing is at least we know the guy got some speed and speed kills.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    QB-Cutler, McCown, Blanchard
    HB-Forte, Bush, Ford
    FB-Fiametta
    TE-M.Bennett, Maneri, Adams
    WR-Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, Anderson, Wilson
    RT-Webb, Mills
    RG-Long, Brown
    C-Garza, Williams
    LG-Slauson, Brown
    LT-Bushrod, Mills
    --------------------------------------------------------
    RE-Peppers, McClellin, Washington
    DT-Paea, Irvin, Minter
    UT-Melton, Collins, Wootton
    LE-Wootton, McClellin, Washington
    WLB-Briggs, Greene, Costanzo
    MLB-Bostic, Williams, Greene
    SLB-Anderson, Greene, Thomas
    CB-Tillman, Jennings, Frey, Bowman, McManis
    SS-Wright, Walters
    FS-Conte, Steltz, Hardin

KR/PR-Hester
    K-Gould
    P-Podlesh
    LS-Mannelly

Fringe-Corey Irvin, Josh Williams, Ozougwu, Whiteside, Weems, Unga, Allen, Britton.

I hope John Scott is nowhere near the 53-man roster. The third TE would be Gabe Miller, IMHO, as he looked very good at FB as well, but he's suspended the first four games.
  14. Akuma2000

Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    I think Mills will start the home opener over Webb and never relinquish the starting spot, Webb will stay at 2nd or 3rd string.......I also think Webb is gone next year.
  15. RoSto89

RoSto89

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    What is you're beef with Scott? I don't know much besides he has bounced around the league a bit and appeared serviceable when he has played with us.

I like the tweaks on the Defense: Ozougwu/Hurst <->Minter/Hardin
    I'm not sure they will cut ties with Weems yet, but I do agree with having a 3rd TE.
    Also, not sure about keeping 3QBs, would like to keep Blanchard. Only kept Britton because I think he could have potential and his versatility.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Sox, I like Allen, people were doubting him last year too. I have no issue w/Ford making the team though, but all articles about the 3rd rb, say a healthy Allen makes the team, the only reason it's even a questions is b/c of a week to week hammy inj. The team loves Allen's ability to play ST's, and in practice he was running w/the 1's when Forte was in as WR, not Bush. That position is Allen's to lose.

As for Weems, I'm not thrilled about him making the squad, but he is listed as Hesters backup and if he contributes to on other st's, then I'm okay with it, reality is that the 4-6th wr's aren't going to see the O side of the field anyways. I do want Wilson to either make the team or be placed in IR b/c I don't see him making waivers.

Castonzo is the captain of the ST's, he's not going anywhere.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    My beef is that he's fucking turrible. Not just bad, but turrible.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    I just don't like Allen. He's got some wiggle to his game, but I'd rather have three guys who could carry the load if called upon instead of a scat back - Allen's frame has me severely doubting that. Add in Ford's return ability and, if he keeps up his gunner play from the last two games, at the very least equal ability in the other phases. Having said that, I'd have no problem keeping him over a ninth DL or seventh LB (though JT Thomas has been my surprise player this PS, and he'd probably be that cut, even though I'd prefer him over Cantstandya.
  19. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +201 / 0 / -0
    I'm hoping Gabe will stick around even if he is offered a contract elsewhere. He has stood out to me as a blocker and his size and athleticism would make him a versatile H-back option out of the backfield, as well, which is great to have in a third TE.
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Eh I'd rather have a legit change of pace guy but again 3rd running back is going to be lucky to get 3-10 touches a game, and that's if one of the primary guys goes down. And right now Ford's return ability puts him as 3rd on the return depth chart behind Hester/Weems on KR and behind Hester/Bennett/Weems on PR. He might well move up the chart, but he's not there yet and 1 nice return against the 3rds isn't enough to do it. Also, he missed a few pass blocking assignments in PS1, and really didn't run well in PS2. Again Ford/Allen, no biggie I'm just letting you know what radio/writers are saying about the two.