Who makes the cut??

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by RoSto89, Aug 17, 2013.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    Ric, any news on Zbikowski, Tom Nelson and Blake Costanzo? Are they likely to make the final roster?
  2. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I haven't heard anything about Washington so far. Has he disappeared?
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    He has a really good first game, quietly solid the second game. He stacks very well against the run, but struggled to get off primary blockers on the pass rush. I'd say Josh Williams has topped him as a pass-rusher, but he's been better all-around than Whiteside, who has gotten a lot of love since he lead the team in snaps this week.
  4. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +339 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    429ß
    I'd keep Hardin over either Walters or Steltz . He has more upside than either and he's alot younger than Steltz . If they cut him they're gonna regret it .
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Peace brother. I'm just not much of a predictor of outcomes period. I don't do mock drafts, I never predict W/L for a season and never even predict scores of games. It's just my nature so that's why I responded as I did. It wasn't about others doing it based on their thinking it was just that I chose not to. That's just me.

I have a pretty good idea of probably 75% of the final 53 but the combination of injuries that have already happened and those which may yet happen play a big part in the rest. Who would have thought we'd lose Blanchard and may be forced to either put him on IR or risk losing him if we put him on the PS. And I'd have given odds that D J Williams would be starting the opener at MLB and now I'm about 50/50 on his even making the team if Bostic keeps improving.

I'll give my thoughts on that first cut down to 75 after this next game. Fifteen need to go and I've got about half that many sure things on my list already. Glad to have another east coaster joining us here. I know what it's like to be a Bears fan living on foreign soil too. I lived in Green Bay for 12 years. :( LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    The biggest problem with Costanzo is that he's not a very capable defensive player but I'd agree with you that he's an ST stud and in the middle of a lot of tackles on KORs. The guy I'd like to see make it this year is Thomas but in order for that to happen it looks like we might have to let DWill go and if Bostic keeps improving that's not out of the question.

Ford and Anderson should be able to replace Weems. Anderson can play WR, Ford can back Hester on KORs and both can play STeams. Weems is a good coverage guy but that's it. The others trump his offensive talents. Releasing him also creates room for Wilson who I agree with you, we need to keep away from waivers.

Ford and Allen are very different runners. Ford is like a mini Michael Bush wheras Allen is that change of pace scat back. Ford is a plugger with some speed. He doesn't seem to have crazy elusiveness to him but I think he's shifty enough to make a decent #3 RB with some coaching. Allen is a guy who could gain nothing on 4 runs and then break a long one or even take it to the house. If Allen recovers IMHO it's gonna be a tough choice between them.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yep, where Emery comes off saying he contributed last year is beyond me. He contributed alright. In combination he contributed nearly 20 sacks, hits and pressures in half a season of starts. The guy has no upside at all and as much as I think of Webb as a lazy oaf I'd still probably take him over Scott when push came to shove.

The Steelers never release good OLinemen so if they released him then you know he has flaws even they couldn't overlook.
  8. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think Webb goes. He's had more than his chances and he hasn't made the most of them. Even Lovie and Tice couldn't get him motivated. I'm curious about Marquess Wilson. Hopefully they can get him up to snuff on special teams. He could be our guy who stretches the defenses vertically.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    398ß
    Weems: decent STer, nothing spectacular, adds nothing on offense
    I cut him for younger, cheaper player with upside like Wilson without thinking twice about it.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +695 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    404ß
    If they keep only 7 O-line and Scott is healthy by start of season Webb is gone. If they keep 8 O-line he slips in.
  11. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think this could be seen from a mile away to be honest.
  12. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I really like Wilson and Ford. I doubt both make the roster, but I like them.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    398ß
    They've already said they're keeping 8. I imagine after agreeing to a pay cut, Webb now makes it. Mills and Brown are in. That leaves one. It's between Britton, Scott, and maybe Boggs to grab the final spot.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Webb makes the roster. It would be quite stupid to cut him. We don't even know how Mills is going to play in games that count and at the very least Webb provides the ability to play LT and RT. And he's been very durable as a Bear. You don't toss guys like that in the last year of the deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    398ß
    Perhaps...but you do cut their pay when they lose their job. :10_5_135[1]:
  16. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hey that's a boon for the Bears getting the paycut. Anywhere you can save you save. But Emery would be no different than Angelo going into the season hedging his bets that a 5th rd pick is going to hold down the fort at RT.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    398ß
    Angelo would have tossed Webb a multi-million dollar extension for lackadaisical/mediocre play and said: "the talent is there".
  18. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yea I don't think so. Angelo didn't go around throwing extensions to unproven players. In fact, he was rather tight with the money on the offensive side of the ball.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    398ß
    If that includes consistently bringing in trash like Roy Williams and Frank Omiyale and then "calling it good", I'm in full agreement.
  20. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yep. Angelo really screwed this team up. After all he's the guy that drafted Cedric Benson #1 when we already had Thomas Jones. When in doubt take either an offensive or defensive lineman.