Who was he Bears biggest missed opportunity?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    I've been a fan since '93, so I can only speak from that point on. With that said, I've got 5:

1) Trading Lance Briggs for the Redskins 6th overall pick in 2007. Why? Because Benson was an attitude problem, and AP was significantly ranked higher than Benson coming out of college. The reason why the trade didn't happen was because JA wanted Rocky McIntosh in return.

2) Not signing Kurt Warner TWICE
    a) The first time, he had a spiderbite that prevented him from practicing, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he would've fared better than an injury decimated Erik Kramer, and Rick Mirer
    b) The second time, in 2005 we almost had him, but Angelo didn't want competition for Rex Grossman. If you didn't know that already, let that sink in for a minute, and think of how differently 2005 and 2006 could have been.

3) Not drafting Randy Moss because he overslept, instead drafting Curtis Enis

4) JA deciding not to go with Wes Welker because :
    "Welker had not been asked to go to the scouting combine, so the Bears wanted to interview him, work him out and get a feel for him.

Welker still can recall the day. There were meetings with coach Lovie Smith and then-offensive coordinator Terry Shea at Halas Hall. Team officials took him out for a nice dinner. His cell phone went off in the middle of a meeting.

The Bears' interest in him was as a punt returner. He had brought back an NCAA record eight punts for touchdowns at Texas Tech. And the thought was the Bears could sign him as a free agent after the draft.

But during the draft, the Bears took a cornerback in the fourth round. Turns out that cornerback, Nathan Vasher, also was a punt returner. So they didn't need Welker anymore." And we can all agree that Wes Welker is better than Nathan Vasher

5) Drafting Michael Haynes over Troy Polamalu. Tony Parrish left 2 years before, and we only had ONE good defensive back at the time.

Just imagine, we could've had Kurt Warner, Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Troy Polamalu, and most importantly Adrian Peterson, which would be a more than fair trade for Lance Briggs.

What are your "missed opportunities" for this franchise?
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Instead of, Garrett Wolfe and MIke Okwo(omg what a horrid set of 3rd rounders) they could have had Jerome Bushrod and Dough Free; bookend OT's instead of nothing, and it might have saved their jobs and b/c of it we might have been able to get a legit OC Replacement for Turner.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Oh Jesus, just imagine, having 2 good offensive linemen, a HOF QB, a HOF WR, a perennial Pro Bowl WR, a perennial Pro Bowl Safety AND a potential HOF RB. Of course this is all hindsight, but if Angelo had managed to make that happen, I think we would've won in 2005-2007, in all likelihood (srsly, the Steelers sucked, the Colts were good, but not that good, and the Patriots never would've had that offensive juggernaut in 2007, so we could've beaten Indy twice). Of course, there's no way in hell they could've afforded all of those players for more than that time frame, but still..
  4. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Interesting history. I forgot most of it.
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    Always heard rumors about the '81 draft they could have had L.T. and Samurai Mike both. Intriguing on how he would have done in the 46.
  6. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If we got Polamolu we would not have went through 356734734 safety combinations under Lovie.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Bushrod would be out of the league if Turner had drafted him. Same with Free. When Kromer drafted him, it was a project and he knew how to develop linemen. If my memory serves me correctly, Bushrod didn't even see the field until his next year. If I'm wrong, I'm sure to be corrected. Turner and Hiestand would have ruined both those guys.

You've missed the biggest drafting failure by Angelo. Instead of wasting a #4 overall pick on a worthless, do-nothing, lazy, primadonna, selfish,one dimensional back who couldn't catch passes or learn a blocking scheme with an attitude problem, we could have had Aaron Rodgers. At least, we could have deprived the Packers of having Rodgers.
  8. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Epic Fail by JA.

I thought Rodgers was a bust because a year or two after he was drafted, they drafted Brian Brohm in the second or third. It happened when Rodgers was not playing yet.
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I think it was the 1999 draft. We have the 12th pick in the first round. We drafted McNown. When you draft a QB that high, you MUST play him, especially if you are the Chicago Bears and are betting the farm on this clown. As we know, he was a total disaster, but we still had to waste a whole season with him to prove it. Meanwhile, we COULD have drafted the 1999 Defensive Rookie of the Year and 3-time Pro-bowl selection, Jevon Kearse.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Aaron Rodgers would be out of the league right now if the Bears drafted him. You honestly think that he would have been groomed into the stud QB here in Chicago Sitting behind Grossman, Orton ect. being taught by Lovie & co.? If so you have a hell of a lot more confidence in that group than I do.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    I know, knock Bushrod/Free b/c of the coaches then dream that ARogers, a pick in the late 1st would have been taken w/the 4th overall and not had JA run out of town for not taking one of the expected top 10 picks....all in hopes that Rogers would have learned anything from the stooges in front of him or Turner/Martz....

okay so draft revision is silly. How about not trying to get Brees in here as an FA, he might not have been what he was in NO's, not w/this OL or w/these coaches, but it would have shipped Rex and KO out sooner and a replacement for the draft might have been a bigger concern leading to drafting a real developmental qb.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    The reason why I didn't mention this one (and I'm not arguing with ya) is that I felt that having Kurt Warner would have been more realistic, as JA believed Grossman to be his "drafted franchise QB". Plus, Kurt would've immediately contributed to the '05 and '06 Bears.
    I kind of agree and disagree here. He actually had a good gameplan for Orton, to protect the rookie from making too many mistakes, and I think, with Rodgers, he would have at least done a little better. With that said, Rodgers certainly would not have been the great QB he is, had he been drafted by Chicago. It does bear mentioning that JA tried like hell to trade out of that spot. My preference is that they signed Kurt Warner and drafted DeMarcus Ware.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Flat out, though, the Bears were fools for passing on Randy Moss (as was every other team). Maybe Welker wouldn't have made the roster, as he didn't with San Diego, but Jesus, Angelo, you were interested in the guy, and he was an UDFA!! Same thing with that waste of a roster pick Michael Haynes (I was not happy with that pick at the time, and doubly pissed that the Bears traded out of the spot, cause I wanted Suggs; I was even more infuriated that the Jets were the ones to trade up, because I didn't want that POS DT they drafted either), when there was a beast from USC waiting. Also, Jerry, you HAD to have Rocky McIntosh? I mean, if we HAD to get rid of Briggs, and he wanted another LB, we could've had Patrick Willis, but more than likely Angelo would've drafted Ted Ginn Jr. or Jamaal Anderson anyway.

Of course this is all conjecture, but I'm also interested in some of the older Bears fans views on who was a missed opportunity. If short faced bear is right, and we could have had LT on the team, the 85 Bears WOULD have gone 19-0, for sure. Probably would have had another SB too. Sure our defense was great, but LT, in addition to our d-line, would've absolutely destroyed every QB they faced.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    That's why I said at least we would have deprived GB of Rodgers. I think those guys would have gotten very little out of Rodgers. But Green Bay would have had to live with Farve longer, and hunt around for guys to replace him with like Leinart.

If we had drafted Rodgers in 2005, they would not have then taken Orton in the 4th that year. With everything else the same, Rex would have hurt his knee, Hutch would have played his 0.0 preseason game and gotten cut, and we'd have rolled with Rodgers. I don't care how undeveloped he would have been. All he needed to do was hit someone every now and again like Orton could not, and our D and running game would have taken care of the rest. That draft was so deep with RBs that we could have taken in the 2nd. And our D was amazing that year.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    GB would have found a different QB to turn into a stud.

It's what they do
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Probably Jay Cutler.....
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Noticing what they did with Brian Brohm and Matt Flynn, it's amazing they were willing to cut a higher drafted pick, because they knew he simply wasn't going to help them. The Bears are only NOW starting to do that in 2013.
  18. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Drew Brees. He was A FA and we could have signed him. The Dolphins passed on him too.
  19. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,438 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Not getting rid of Angelo and Lovie anytime earlier over the last decade....
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    This one still bothers me, but when Vinny Testaverde went to the Jets over the Bears, he said "Because I want to go to a team that can win". Loved that dude, until he threw 3 interceptions and fumbled the ball twice in the AFC Championship game.
    • Like Like x 1