Who was he Bears biggest missed opportunity?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I've been a fan since '93, so I can only speak from that point on. With that said, I've got 5:

1) Trading Lance Briggs for the Redskins 6th overall pick in 2007. Why? Because Benson was an attitude problem, and AP was significantly ranked higher than Benson coming out of college. The reason why the trade didn't happen was because JA wanted Rocky McIntosh in return.

2) Not signing Kurt Warner TWICE
    a) The first time, he had a spiderbite that prevented him from practicing, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he would've fared better than an injury decimated Erik Kramer, and Rick Mirer
    b) The second time, in 2005 we almost had him, but Angelo didn't want competition for Rex Grossman. If you didn't know that already, let that sink in for a minute, and think of how differently 2005 and 2006 could have been.

3) Not drafting Randy Moss because he overslept, instead drafting Curtis Enis

4) JA deciding not to go with Wes Welker because :
    "Welker had not been asked to go to the scouting combine, so the Bears wanted to interview him, work him out and get a feel for him.

Welker still can recall the day. There were meetings with coach Lovie Smith and then-offensive coordinator Terry Shea at Halas Hall. Team officials took him out for a nice dinner. His cell phone went off in the middle of a meeting.

The Bears' interest in him was as a punt returner. He had brought back an NCAA record eight punts for touchdowns at Texas Tech. And the thought was the Bears could sign him as a free agent after the draft.

But during the draft, the Bears took a cornerback in the fourth round. Turns out that cornerback, Nathan Vasher, also was a punt returner. So they didn't need Welker anymore." And we can all agree that Wes Welker is better than Nathan Vasher

5) Drafting Michael Haynes over Troy Polamalu. Tony Parrish left 2 years before, and we only had ONE good defensive back at the time.

Just imagine, we could've had Kurt Warner, Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Troy Polamalu, and most importantly Adrian Peterson, which would be a more than fair trade for Lance Briggs.

What are your "missed opportunities" for this franchise?

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,869ß
    Instead of, Garrett Wolfe and MIke Okwo(omg what a horrid set of 3rd rounders) they could have had Jerome Bushrod and Dough Free; bookend OT's instead of nothing, and it might have saved their jobs and b/c of it we might have been able to get a legit OC Replacement for Turner.

3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    953ß
    Oh Jesus, just imagine, having 2 good offensive linemen, a HOF QB, a HOF WR, a perennial Pro Bowl WR, a perennial Pro Bowl Safety AND a potential HOF RB. Of course this is all hindsight, but if Angelo had managed to make that happen, I think we would've won in 2005-2007, in all likelihood (srsly, the Steelers sucked, the Colts were good, but not that good, and the Patriots never would've had that offensive juggernaut in 2007, so we could've beaten Indy twice). Of course, there's no way in hell they could've afforded all of those players for more than that time frame, but still..

4. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Interesting history. I forgot most of it.

5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    834ß
    Always heard rumors about the '81 draft they could have had L.T. and Samurai Mike both. Intriguing on how he would have done in the 46.

6. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    If we got Polamolu we would not have went through 356734734 safety combinations under Lovie.

• Like Like x 1
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    542ß
    Bushrod would be out of the league if Turner had drafted him. Same with Free. When Kromer drafted him, it was a project and he knew how to develop linemen. If my memory serves me correctly, Bushrod didn't even see the field until his next year. If I'm wrong, I'm sure to be corrected. Turner and Hiestand would have ruined both those guys.

You've missed the biggest drafting failure by Angelo. Instead of wasting a #4 overall pick on a worthless, do-nothing, lazy, primadonna, selfish,one dimensional back who couldn't catch passes or learn a blocking scheme with an attitude problem, we could have had Aaron Rodgers. At least, we could have deprived the Packers of having Rodgers.

8. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Epic Fail by JA.

I thought Rodgers was a bust because a year or two after he was drafted, they drafted Brian Brohm in the second or third. It happened when Rodgers was not playing yet.

9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,799ß
    I think it was the 1999 draft. We have the 12th pick in the first round. We drafted McNown. When you draft a QB that high, you MUST play him, especially if you are the Chicago Bears and are betting the farm on this clown. As we know, he was a total disaster, but we still had to waste a whole season with him to prove it. Meanwhile, we COULD have drafted the 1999 Defensive Rookie of the Year and 3-time Pro-bowl selection, Jevon Kearse.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,256ß
    Aaron Rodgers would be out of the league right now if the Bears drafted him. You honestly think that he would have been groomed into the stud QB here in Chicago Sitting behind Grossman, Orton ect. being taught by Lovie & co.? If so you have a hell of a lot more confidence in that group than I do.