Who will be the SAM next year?!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by 50YearFrustration, Apr 25, 2014.

1. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Your choices,...a converted DE, a second year guy thrown into the fire too early last year or another 2nd year making the switch from the middle,... Trust me, I am pulling hard for all of them, but right now I'd settle for one to play decently.
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Tend to believe that there will be a competition between Bostic and Shea, with the loser learning to back-up Briggs.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    Whoever loses might not be backing up Briggs for more than a year. The guy is already older and playing with a harness. I love the guy but am anxious to see how much he is going to be able to contribute this year. Hopefully, I am worried about nothing there.
  4. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +87 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Might be filled by committee depending on what the down presents with Bostic in on running downs and Shea coming in on passing or not in favor of the nickel.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Briggs is much older and I would really like to see one of the two (Bostic or Shea) start the season as his back-up for a couple of reasons
    1. In the 4-3 the WLB tends to be more important than the SLB.
    2. Green does Not look like he is ready to play at this level.

My preference - Bostic (back-up) Briggs and McClellin starts at SAM with Green/Draft pick backing up.
    Problem is there is NO depth at MLB.
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Shea is most likely
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I agree with that. I think Shea will be given the inside track in camp and prolly pre sesason to work out the kinks. Even if he struggles I don't see him getting benched until minimum week 8. Emery clearly wants this pick to pan out and benching Shea will very likely spell the end of his time with the Bears after this year and Emery's very first pick will be a huge bust. I'm sure he, nor us fans want to see that happen.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    It's Shea's to lose, Bostic will be backup MLB and SAM and Greene will be backup WILL...God help us all if DJ and Lance go down.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    well, we'd be where we were last year. Hopefully Herring can mitigate that train wreck if it happens again.
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Even if it did happen then there would be marginal improvement from both, and Bostic may even see substantial improvement. I think our LB corps is in better shape than some think. We need another player, but a high quality pick used on LB is at least a year premature.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    marginal improvement from who? marginal improvement over brigg/williams if they go down? No it will be a steep decline.

There will be marginal improvement from Greene and Bostic? That's the most you can hope for.

The LB core is a hot mess unless they have a Trestman at LB coach.
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    No, not improvement from DJ and Briggs, improvement from Bostic for sure and likely Greene. We will set Greene aside for now, as he is on the fringe. Bostic on the other hand will be fine IMO. He has talent as a LB, and maybe Will is a better fit for him. What you can't do is judge a rookie who played on a historically horrible defense and write him off after one year.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    I'm not writing him off, I'm just not counting on him being able to step in and step up, and that's for any of them, Shea/Bostic/Greene.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I'm mildly intrigued by Shea at the Mike.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    I'm not. I'm midly intrigued w/him in general, but more at SAM then MLB, and I'd be more happy if it was only on 3rd downs where he's not getting trucked by RB's.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I don't think the problem will be him getting trucked by RBs. At flirting with 250 lbs hes not a small LB. The problem will more than likely be the speed and accuracy of his reads from the SAM and other aspects other than blitzing. If he can get that down and be reliable in pass coverage as well as filling his lanes in the run game, he should be okay imo.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    ya except he was over 250 last year and was still getting trucked by rb's. The guy, no matter what weight doesn't play w/strength. I'd be happier if he was more of a 3rd down blitzer from LB then an everydown back. I just hope I'm wrong, I'm hoping he outright wins the SAM and revitalizes his career there.
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    That's true, but that is exactly what he was working on this offseason. Let's see if that strength will help him. Again... not sure if I understand why it took an outside consultant to explain to him that if big man runs into you and you can't stop him... then you need more strength. I'm getting into the consulting business...
  19. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Glad to see I am not alone in my concerns. Honestly, I think Shea gets first shot at SAM, with Bostic backing up at WILL. I wonder about Shea's instincts, as he had a propensity to chase plays at DE. He will also really have to learn to shed blocks properly, though the extra space off the line helps, I think. I am guessing he will get a full opportunity to win the job in camp, but the staff will not hesitate to switch Bostic over if Shea struggles.
    • Like Like x 1