Who will start at S vs. Buffalo? Bears say: "wait and see, Soulman!"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 1, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...fety-starting-conte-mundy-20140901-story.html

Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman was asked after Monday morning’s practice at Halas Hall whether he had settled on his starting safeties for Sunday’s season opener against the Bills. Yet the “wait and see” response Trestman offered was likely not the variety fans were eager to hear.

“We’re rotating the guys around,” Trestman asserted. “And we’ll talk more about that on Wednesday. We’ll get them started in the right direction. I’d just rather wait another day-and-a-half.”

Danny McCray and Ryan Mundy started each of the Bears’ first three exhibition games together at safety. But fourth-year veteran Chris Conte returned to action during the Aug. 22 preseason game in Seattle and mixed in with the first-team defense in the first half.

Conte, however, suffered a concussion in that contest and was held out of both Bears practices last week as well as the exhibition finale against the Browns. He returned to practice Monday and seems to be in the mix, if fully healthy, to supplant McCray in the starting lineup

The return from the concussion isn’t the only obstacle blocking Conte’s path back toward a starting role, however. The safety also spent the spring and summer working back from offseason shoulder surgery, a recovery process which kept him out throughout the team’s offseason program and hrough the first 11 practices of training camp. So Conte’s conditioning will also be under the microscope this week.

Said Trestman: “He hasn’t had the preparation time certainly that other guys have had. There’s no doubt about it. But at the end of the day, we go by what the trainers and the doctors have to say. If he’s not in condition to play, if he’s not physically ready to play, he won’t. If they feel like he is, he’s going to have to work into that. Because he didn’t get the preseason time that certainly the other guys did.”
    In a best-case scenario, defensive coordinator Mel Tucker would love to deploy Conte and Mundy as his opening day safeties. But it’s still possible McCray will hold that place for another week. Trestman and Tucker should have more word on he situation after Wednesday's practice.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    He's just saying we have no one that stands out that we are truly happy with. But we all knew that.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    Still hoping for a FA signing, Chris Clemmons would sure be nice. Maybe they are working behind the scenes so Trestman is being non committal
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    Sounds like he expects more roster moves between now and then.
  5. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    I was surprised that they seem SO COMMITTED to Conte starting if he proves physically capable of taking the field against Buffalo. I guess he was never really "in danger" of losing his starting FS job after all. Interesting.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,252 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    298ß
    IMHO, Mundy-Conte is our best safety duo. I'm not saying that combo is going to light the world on fire but it's our best and is adequate. But...it wouldn't surprise me if they don't start CC on Sunday given that he's missed a lot of practice/PS reps and is working his way back for a recent concussion.

Conte-hate sucked a lot of oxygen out of the air this offseason and we all know why. People have forgotten how truly awful--as in mind numbingly terrible--Major Wright was. If Conte had a tough season last year, his safety-partner was the mother of all suckitude by comparison. MW was and is so bad that he couldn't even stick as a reserve this year for the coach who was willing to give him a chance pretty much no one else would. He was cut by Tampa this weekend.

I see Mundy-Conte as the starters (as soon as able) and that duo is an upgrade over last years debacle. Nothing special but decent.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +340 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    257ß
    I agree, MPBear. I think that A LOT of people lost their sh*t with Conte last year. He isn't great, but he can at least be average to ever so slightly above average (at times).
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,635 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    I had thought Wilson would be there, but obviously I was wrong.

I agree. They will be the starters and should do better than last year. We aren't going to scare anyone, but we should be ok.
  9. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    My guess is that Wilson is done and it was obvious to the Bears staff. Has he hooked up with another team? I did some searches and can't find anything about Wilson signing with another team.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    What's my role in this thread of yours BMG? If Conte is cleared to play and he practices well this week then maybe he should start. If he's not cleared to play or needs more time to adapt then McCray will start. I think that's been pretty obvious all along hasn't it?
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Conte-Mundy is our best bet but unless he is cleared to fully practice tomorrow, I don't see him getting the start week 1. A lot of lost time in OTAs and camp. I would let him sit until he can get a full week of practice. I think Duke Ihenacho was a big target but he didn't make it through the waivers to us, Redskins are need there to.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,252 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    298ß
    Well it hasn't been pretty obvious to all the Conte-haters who've been saying he's "not an NFL safety" or "should be cut". As you and I and a few others have been saying, Conte is the starting FS if/when healthy and it's his job to either keep or lose. Vereen is not ready at this point and that wasn't hard to foresee.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I guess but where do I come into BMGs thread title. I've never been as down on Conte as many have. I wish more people would have read the article I posted a while ago about Conte's PFF ranking. There were something like 15 players ranked higher who had only played on a part time basis or as subs for a few games. PFF sets no minimum number of snaps to be included in it's ratings and rankings.

That's kind of like saying a pinch hitter with only 10 at bats is superior to an every day player with 400 or more at bats just because the pinch hitter had 4 hits (.400 BA) and the full time player only had 100 hits (.250 BA). It's not enough data to make a reasonable assessment and it's somewhat like trying to describe what a room looks like by peaking through a keyhole.

Personally I believe we'll be better off if and when Conte is able to start. That kid has a chip on his shoulder the size of a 2x4 and he's playing for a new contract. Out of all of the possibilities at FS he has more motivation to succeed in a huge way than anyone. Besides we badly need McCray playing on all four ST units and if he's starting at FS he probably won't be doing that.
  14. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +302 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    EDIT: I have read the article (I just didn't engage the PFF part of it) and you can most certainly filter the rankings by snap counts. The filters are ALL Snaps (0-100% or no filter), 25% of snaps (players who took at least 25% of the unit's total snaps), 50% of snaps, 60% of snaps and 75% of snaps.

snap.png
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,952 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,007ß
    Conte and someone else
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    And there in lies the crux of the situation, they didn't upgrade the S position at all, Mundy is not heads and tails better then Wright, and they never brought in any real competition for Conte.

While this might be the best duo on the Bears roster, it's going to be near the bottom of S duo's in the league, both are merely boarderline starter quality.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    253ß
    I was one of the conte haters last year. I have to admit he looked decent this preseason. one of the new coaches working with him or thag big ol' chip on his shoulder? Either way, i have hopes he will be at least serviceable this year.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    He'll be serviceable as long as the LB's CB's and DL do their jobs at an above average to elite level; therein lies the problem w/Conte while I have no worries about the DL, and only minor worries about the CB's, the LB's I'm afraid are going to be pretty poor also, if that's the case Conte won't be much more then servicable
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

Maybe mine was a poor choice of words. They obviously can but for the purposes of those ratings and ranking I believe they did not.
  20. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,952 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,007ß
    Conte was having a good game in week 16 last season, til he had to chase a WR forever and then lost his man.