Who will start at S vs. Buffalo? Bears say: "wait and see, Soulman!"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 1, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost
    Expand Collapse

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...fety-starting-conte-mundy-20140901-story.html

Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman was asked after Monday morning’s practice at Halas Hall whether he had settled on his starting safeties for Sunday’s season opener against the Bills. Yet the “wait and see” response Trestman offered was likely not the variety fans were eager to hear.

“We’re rotating the guys around,” Trestman asserted. “And we’ll talk more about that on Wednesday. We’ll get them started in the right direction. I’d just rather wait another day-and-a-half.”

Danny McCray and Ryan Mundy started each of the Bears’ first three exhibition games together at safety. But fourth-year veteran Chris Conte returned to action during the Aug. 22 preseason game in Seattle and mixed in with the first-team defense in the first half.

Conte, however, suffered a concussion in that contest and was held out of both Bears practices last week as well as the exhibition finale against the Browns. He returned to practice Monday and seems to be in the mix, if fully healthy, to supplant McCray in the starting lineup

The return from the concussion isn’t the only obstacle blocking Conte’s path back toward a starting role, however. The safety also spent the spring and summer working back from offseason shoulder surgery, a recovery process which kept him out throughout the team’s offseason program and hrough the first 11 practices of training camp. So Conte’s conditioning will also be under the microscope this week.

Said Trestman: “He hasn’t had the preparation time certainly that other guys have had. There’s no doubt about it. But at the end of the day, we go by what the trainers and the doctors have to say. If he’s not in condition to play, if he’s not physically ready to play, he won’t. If they feel like he is, he’s going to have to work into that. Because he didn’t get the preseason time that certainly the other guys did.”
    In a best-case scenario, defensive coordinator Mel Tucker would love to deploy Conte and Mundy as his opening day safeties. But it’s still possible McCray will hold that place for another week. Trestman and Tucker should have more word on he situation after Wednesday's practice.

2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,963ß
    He's just saying we have no one that stands out that we are truly happy with. But we all knew that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,233ß
    Still hoping for a FA signing, Chris Clemmons would sure be nice. Maybe they are working behind the scenes so Trestman is being non committal

4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,233ß
    Sounds like he expects more roster moves between now and then.

5. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost
    Expand Collapse

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    I was surprised that they seem SO COMMITTED to Conte starting if he proves physically capable of taking the field against Buffalo. I guess he was never really "in danger" of losing his starting FS job after all. Interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    IMHO, Mundy-Conte is our best safety duo. I'm not saying that combo is going to light the world on fire but it's our best and is adequate. But...it wouldn't surprise me if they don't start CC on Sunday given that he's missed a lot of practice/PS reps and is working his way back for a recent concussion.

Conte-hate sucked a lot of oxygen out of the air this offseason and we all know why. People have forgotten how truly awful--as in mind numbingly terrible--Major Wright was. If Conte had a tough season last year, his safety-partner was the mother of all suckitude by comparison. MW was and is so bad that he couldn't even stick as a reserve this year for the coach who was willing to give him a chance pretty much no one else would. He was cut by Tampa this weekend.

I see Mundy-Conte as the starters (as soon as able) and that duo is an upgrade over last years debacle. Nothing special but decent.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost
    Expand Collapse

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    I agree, MPBear. I think that A LOT of people lost their sh*t with Conte last year. He isn't great, but he can at least be average to ever so slightly above average (at times).

8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,963ß
    I had thought Wilson would be there, but obviously I was wrong.

I agree. They will be the starters and should do better than last year. We aren't going to scare anyone, but we should be ok.

9. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,332ß
    My guess is that Wilson is done and it was obvious to the Bears staff. Has he hooked up with another team? I did some searches and can't find anything about Wilson signing with another team.

#9 dachuckster, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  10. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,900ß
    What's my role in this thread of yours BMG? If Conte is cleared to play and he practices well this week then maybe he should start. If he's not cleared to play or needs more time to adapt then McCray will start. I think that's been pretty obvious all along hasn't it?

• Like Like x 1