Who will start at S vs. Buffalo? Bears say: "wait and see, Soulman!"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Sep 1, 2014.

1. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    77ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Conte-Mundy is our best bet but unless he is cleared to fully practice tomorrow, I don't see him getting the start week 1. A lot of lost time in OTAs and camp. I would let him sit until he can get a full week of practice. I think Duke Ihenacho was a big target but he didn't make it through the waivers to us, Redskins are need there to.

2. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,337ß
    Well it hasn't been pretty obvious to all the Conte-haters who've been saying he's "not an NFL safety" or "should be cut". As you and I and a few others have been saying, Conte is the starting FS if/when healthy and it's his job to either keep or lose. Vereen is not ready at this point and that wasn't hard to foresee.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,935ß

I guess but where do I come into BMGs thread title. I've never been as down on Conte as many have. I wish more people would have read the article I posted a while ago about Conte's PFF ranking. There were something like 15 players ranked higher who had only played on a part time basis or as subs for a few games. PFF sets no minimum number of snaps to be included in it's ratings and rankings.

That's kind of like saying a pinch hitter with only 10 at bats is superior to an every day player with 400 or more at bats just because the pinch hitter had 4 hits (.400 BA) and the full time player only had 100 hits (.250 BA). It's not enough data to make a reasonable assessment and it's somewhat like trying to describe what a room looks like by peaking through a keyhole.

Personally I believe we'll be better off if and when Conte is able to start. That kid has a chip on his shoulder the size of a 2x4 and he's playing for a new contract. Out of all of the possibilities at FS he has more motivation to succeed in a huge way than anyone. Besides we badly need McCray playing on all four ST units and if he's starting at FS he probably won't be doing that.

4. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    929ß
    EDIT: I have read the article (I just didn't engage the PFF part of it) and you can most certainly filter the rankings by snap counts. The filters are ALL Snaps (0-100% or no filter), 25% of snaps (players who took at least 25% of the unit's total snaps), 50% of snaps, 60% of snaps and 75% of snaps.

snap.png

#14 B-ell-y-iot, Sep 1, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,329ß
    Conte and someone else

6. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,164ß
    And there in lies the crux of the situation, they didn't upgrade the S position at all, Mundy is not heads and tails better then Wright, and they never brought in any real competition for Conte.

While this might be the best duo on the Bears roster, it's going to be near the bottom of S duo's in the league, both are merely boarderline starter quality.

• Like Like x 1
  7. shark86x

shark86x
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,040ß
    I was one of the conte haters last year. I have to admit he looked decent this preseason. one of the new coaches working with him or thag big ol' chip on his shoulder? Either way, i have hopes he will be at least serviceable this year.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,164ß
    He'll be serviceable as long as the LB's CB's and DL do their jobs at an above average to elite level; therein lies the problem w/Conte while I have no worries about the DL, and only minor worries about the CB's, the LB's I'm afraid are going to be pretty poor also, if that's the case Conte won't be much more then servicable

9. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,935ß

Maybe mine was a poor choice of words. They obviously can but for the purposes of those ratings and ranking I believe they did not.

10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,329ß
    Conte was having a good game in week 16 last season, til he had to chase a WR forever and then lost his man.