Who's surprising you in a positive way this preseason?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 23, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I'm re-watching the game from last night. I'm pleasantly surprised by some players. Anyone standing out with you so far this preseason in a positive way?
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    Scott, Morgan, Mundy, Clausen, Fuller have all been pleasant surprises IMO
  3. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +617 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    i'll add young and Mcmannis
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    Here's a surprise. Roberto Garza looked really solid. I was worried he was going to be a liability this year. But he looks like he'll be fine this season. He looked good last night in particular.

Josh Morgan surprised me. I figured he'd just be a mediocre camp guy. But he clearly has talent. I don't think it's a given that S.Holmes moves past him.
  5. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +286 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Soulman posted a similar thread a bit ago for preseason standouts on offense, defense, and special teams.
    At the time my three candidates were Josh Morgan, Trevor Scott, and Sherick McManis

During last night's game, I'd say the lines, OL and DL, were impressive.

DEFENSIVE STANDOUTS
    1. Stephen Paea
    was a stud last night getting penetration, covering gap assignments, and getting off the ball and getting push in general. He's looked damn good this preseason (along with Ratliff) and I'm hopeful that in this last year of his contract he fulfills the expectations many fans had of him when he came out of college a couple years ago.
    2. Lamarr Houston had pressure on Wilson all night and played extremely physical ball. He didn't provide the consistent edge stabilization I kind of assume he will, but he played with intensity. Dude reminds me of Ratliff, two fierce, aggressive players who just don't get beaten up.
    3. Willie Young: didn't look quite as good as Houston, but statistically he showed up more. He was spotty setting the edge but was able to do so on a few plays. He was very active in the backfield (recording a sack and getting frequent pressure on Wilson). He ended the game with 3 tackles, 3 assists, and 1 sack. That's pretty huge.
    OFFENSIVE STANDOUTS
    1.Dennis Roland
    Soulman posted an article earlier this week where someone was predicting Roland was going to get cut in the fall to 75. That'd be fucking stupid. This guy has been a gamer and looked particularly strong last night.
    2. Ka'Deem Carey caught some balls last night and got some good yardage in the run game (caught 4 ran 4). He missed his assignment on blitz protection which led to a sack on Cutler, but other than that, he ha a solid night.
    3. Josh Morgan established himself as the legit third option last night. I'm really high on this pro and think he brings a great mix of utility and production.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    The players mentioned above have all stood out in a positive way, I agree.

My biggest disappointment at this point is that there's no LBs we can legitimately put on that list. Bostic, Shea, Jones, and Greene are young guys you'd really like to see there but they've either been meh or worse so far. Senn has been a big fat nothing even on STs.
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    Nobody. We stink and I am horny. Where is HenryChadBurrisPennington when you need him?! I sent him a booty call over 2 hours ago, and he has yet to respond! :1064[1]:
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    +1
    I'm still hoping the LB's will improve. I'm sick over how they look now. But maybe they'll get better. What do you think MP? Is there any hope of them getting decent enough to help this year's defense be decent?
  9. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Can I get back to you next week on this because right now I can't think of anyone
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,565ß
    And I also disagreed with that prediction. Until Britton is well and Mills is ready to go I've thought all along that Roland was our best bet at RT based on his size and his experience.

Quite a few second line players have stepped up nicely; McManis, Scott, and Lane come to mind on defense and Draughn and Morgan on the offense.

But overall last night I was most impressed by our punter who was the only one who could make a saving STeams stop. I'm really glad we drafted him. Now if he could only kick AND cover maybe we'd do better on our punt coverage team. :rolleyes:
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    I don't know, JABF, but I'm concerned (and annoyed a bit) that they don't look better by this point. It's too soon to judge but thus far Emery has struggled with finding new production at the position in a way he hasn't at others. Herring is supposed to be a darn good LB coach which we didn't have last year so why we can't get at least Bostic and Shea playing at a consistently decent level is beyond me.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    770ß
    I also expected them to look better and I am thinking that one of two things is wrong. I am taking Herring out of the equation, but I may be wrong there. Maybe he is not as good as I think he is.

I'm thinking that either the players are just not up to snuff or that somehow, the overall defensive malaise that gripped us last year is still affecting the team. How do you take the DL talent we have and neutralize the pass rush? I've seen flashes with some of the LB but they are just not really a force out there. Even some of the bright spots like Peanut are just not doing it. I dunno... Did everyone just forget how to play together and all age quickly?

I mean WTF!
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I'm probably the worst guy to evaluate the LB's because I don't know much about defense in general and this Tucker defense in particular. But here's what I think I see happening.

1. On coverage where the LB's are needing to defend against a guy, the LB's often look hesitant on where they are supposed to be until it's too late and a receiver is wide open. It's a slow reaction. The opposing QB has a wide open man to get the ball to. I see the LB's "react" way too late to realizing it's THEM that's the guy who's supposed to be defending and they make a late attempt to close the gap and defend the pass, but it's way too late to prevent a completion. I see this over-and-over-and-over again. Nobody is in position to defend.

2. Then on running plays I see the same hesitation. Instead of instinctively making plays the LB's hesitate a moment before reacting to the play. This just makes them a heartbeat late to being in place to make a play. The tackling needs to be better too.

3. The third thing I see is that there doesn't appear to be an aggressiveness to making plays. Here's what I mean by that. I'll take Shea as an example here, but I've seen other LB's do the exact same thing. You'll see him react almost tentatively to making a play, tackling the runner. It's like he's not at full speed aggressively flying to tackle a guy. Watch (if you have any of the preseason games recorded) and you'll actually see him pull up letting another guy make the tackle (which may or may not happen) and Shea will pull up and nonchalantly put his hands on his hips or just relax that the play is over. You don't see anything remotely like this on a great defense. LB's are aggressively flying to tackle runners no matter who else is in the vicinity. They all fly to the ball/runner until the play is over they're like crazy men putting the wood to the runner. Yes, the Bears LB's will sometimes to this, but so often it's like they need a stick of dynamite dropped into their underwear to wake them up.

This is what I think I'm seeing. But I'm not a guy who understands defenses very well. But you add up all 3 of these things and you have an LB corps that is letting teams roll us. I truly believe Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay will feast on this defense and we'll see more games like the Seattle game. People here reply to my posts about Green Bay like I'm just being crazy - but watch them this preseason (the starters) and they sure look like a team that can make a super bowl run this year. We don't.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +739 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    Agree JABF, Herring is suppose to be a good LB coach so hopefully something will give. I am going to watch the waiver wire as well this is my biggest concern but in all fairness Herring is only had a short time to teach these guys, but yes was hoping for better.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I agree. But on a hopeful note (I'm trying to find anything to be positive about) I do see some plays where I think I see 'flashes' of potential in our LB players. Maybe more game reps in this defense will result in the unit playing better. And that could be the case. It certainly should shorten the reaction time for the young players (and Shea who's learning the LB position this year). There's no substitution for game reps. Players, especially young players, need them to reach their potential. So maybe we just need to be patient and endure these early games as they get better. I don't know if this is the case or if we just have bad players at LB. I guess we'll know by mid-season. LOL, it's all making me crazier than I already am :-)