Why I am leary of Donald.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 16, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    No Pitt is not a small school, but they also weren't on TV every week either, like ND or Fla. State was. As for Nix, after he hurt his knee I think that caused him to drop some, so when you look at it, not much has changed, except Donald took better advantage of his platforms in front of a lot of scouts, and it made them re-look his film. This happens frequently in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here is the tape. If we don't pick him if he is still on the board @ 14, I think many coffee tables of Bears fans are in big trouble. Including mine!

3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +440 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    215ß
    Here is another tape. 300 pound DT doing a flip. Now thats impressive.

Gamefilm with interview
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    But can he jump out of a swimmingpool?
    :D
    • Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I'll still never understand that pick!!
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    I love that play against Duke where he takes both the QB and the RB down. Reminds me of that photo of Butkus with his arms around three Packers making a tackle on Jim Taylor. There's another quote I'm reminded of that fits and I think it was from Doug Atkins. He said that when he played the run he just grabbed as many guys as his arms would hold and kept tossing them away until he found the guy with the ball. He said, " him I kept". LOL

Not only is Donald incredibly quick of the snap but when you watch him chasing the QB down he looks every bit as fast as McClellin and that's incredible for a guy who goes nearly 290lbs with a squat build. He also seems to read and diagnose very quickly. Good intuition and football smarts. I don't think there's any doubt this kid can play 3 tech DT for the Bears. The only question is whether or not he's still on the board at #14 and whether Emery rates the need at DT above another position.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Dropped where???? On the internet big boards??? On anyone that claims to be an expert and put out rankings???

Why don't people make up their own opinions on who they like and don't like. It's like we've been brainwashed by these 'experts' that get paid to make lists. They aren't the scouts that are on the road all year and definitly not GMs that do this for a living.

I swear; I've heard the dumbest comments lately; one's like "I'll be pissed if Emery picks Ealy at #14 - he's ranked #18th.

REALLY???????

There are a LOT of good picks to be at #14. Anyone can be a bust and anyone can turn out to be a stud. The draft is far from a perfect science and stuff happens.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Man I don't get it, MP is absolutely right. Aaron Donald didn't just come out of nowhere!
    Just because he didn't show up in Walter Footballs Mock for the first round in January, or just because "Draft Countdown" had him ranked 5th or 6th does not mean he came out of nowhere. If it means anything, it means you shouldn't trust those sources until much closer to the draft. To prove my point, let me provide the following:

Before the 2013 college season, Aaron Donald was one of several top tier players to be on the WATCH LIST for several collegiate awards for football players, so obviously someone was already paying attention to him.
    In the second week of December, 2013 Aaron Donald WON ALL of the following:
    1. The Lombardi Award, given to the best Offensive or Defensive Lineman OR Linebacker
    2. The Bronko Nagurski Award, given to the Best Defensive Player
    3. The Chuck Bednarik Award, Defensive Player of the Year
    4. The Outland Trophy, Best Offensive or Defensive Lineman

Now, I'm not one to put a lot of stock into individual awards, but the last player to win all of these was named Ndamukong Suh, and the ONLY OTHER Defensive Linemen to EVER win the Bednarik award was Suh and a kid by the name of Julius Peppers.

So, the point is, just because "we" didn't know him, doesn't mean people that truly know didn't know him.

Add this to the highlight reels you can find on line, his superior performance at the Senior Bowl and at the Combine, and I truly hope like hell that one or two inches of height allows him to drop to us, because by all rights, this kid should be a top 10 pick, and he might end up being so. At the very least, I am starting to see him mocked to the Giants at 12 since they lost Linval Joseph. Aaron Donald did not just come out of no where.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,434 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Stock, that right there is exactly the thing. It's not the team HAS to take x player or y position. Just get the best available player at one of the many NEEDs
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    LOL, I can do back flips on Madden too, and leap tall building in a single bound and catch bullets between my teeth. :rofl2:
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +440 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    215ß
    Hopefully you are not 300 pounds though. LOL. To bad you and I would both probably need Madden to do it anymore..
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BearJim

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Watching the tape you can see times where the OG knows he needs to be lightning quick off the ball due to Donald's quickness that Donald will mix it up & instead off firing off the ball he waits a split second, takes a step to one side & the OG falls right on his face, enabling Donald to run through the hole unblocked & blow up the play behind the LOS.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    I believe this has already been covered but just to satisfy myself I'll ask the question "Just how may DLineman did you find who rated at the top of the heap two years running"? Most of these guys rise or fall in their Sr. year (if they even play in their Sr. year) and many of them continue to rise and fall after the Sr. Bowl and after the Combine and after their pro days all the way up to draft day. Some of it is based on them and some of it is based on the needs of the teams drafting and in what position. Surely you've been following this stuff long enough to realize that.

Look at the very top of the draft rankings. The QBs are trading places like musical chairs. I've heard Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles all named as top 5 picks somewhere and I never even heard to Blake Bortles until the last few months. Talk about a kid who came out of nowhere. And there are those who think Manziel may be the biggest bust in the this years QB pool. No one knows exactly where these kids will be two years from now but yeah, you can probably project his as being one of the top 5 3 tech DTs within two years. Watch his game films. He's not exactly playing those games against East Bumfuck State. Pitt plays a relatively tough schedule and game after game he's blowing past blocker and making plays.

I said it before and I'll repeat it. I haven't seen a guy so consistently defeat blocking designed to stop him since John Randle was playing and he was the same size as Donald. Size is not the most important attribute for a 3 tech DT. It's quickness and tenacity and this kid has loads of both to go along with some of the best variety of pass rush and penetration moves I've ever seen from a college player. He's the real deal BSB and if he's on the board at #14 and we don't take him I'll bet he never gets past Dallas at #16. Emery's greatest concern if he's at the top of his board is worrying about whether or not another team will leap frog him for the guy. Somebody is gonna take that kid early. There's no doubt in my mind about that.
  14. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    im sorry guys, but we need to stop this shit, saw more of a few of his tapes, read a few notes, this kid is good, real good, we need to draft him.

and this is coming from a guy who was all for Long last year, a few of my colleagues around here can confirm it.
    but also, I thougt Shea would be better in his 2nd year, so... shit, now im confused
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,379 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    No, I haven't reached 300lbs yet and at shy of 6' I'd better not either. LOL I've said before that if Emery has other designs on that #14 pick or if Donald is scooped up ahead of us that I'd probably like Quarles more as a 3 tech than Tim Jernigan but I still wouldn't put him ahead of Donald. One is good and the other is ridiculous as far as being a playmaker and by listening to Emery I kinda get that athletic play makers are the guys he goes after ala McClellin.

Initially I had my concerns about Donald being another McClellin but that's when they had him listed at barely 6' and 270lbs. Two things have changed my mind. His Combine stats which were amazing and his measurables which had him at 6' 7/8" and 288lbs, and his performance during Sr. Bowl week where he was up against the best OL in the country and even they couldn't contain him. That kind of shoots down any concerns about whether his best came only against inferior college competition. Word is he chewed the Sr. Bowl bunch up for lunch and spit them out at dinner.

What this is all coming down to is who should be at the top of the Bears board at the four defensive positions where they now have the greatest need. That could change over the next 6 weeks so all we can go on until then is what we know now. So whose the number one and two prospects for them at; DT, FS, LB, and CB. I think that's what we're all debating here. That and which is the most important position of those four now.
  16. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No one but the "Angler" will ever know.
    :mad:
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +247 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    29ß
    I found some footage of Donald in last year's Pitt/FSU game. FSU doubled Donald the entire game. He was not very effective. He was fast and strong enough to push the pocket back. But I didn't see him split/beat the double team. The few times he faced single blocks his speed was overwhelming.

I still like Donald but he will have to play in an NFL scheme that gets him one on one blocking. Or he has to play on a line with enough talent that other players will dominate if Donald is consistently double teamed.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BearJim

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah 4Da, I'm beginning to wonder if he will be there @ 14. Donald obviously has great quickness, but I think he's a lot stronger than people seem to think. Being 6'1" gives him good leverage which makes him even more powerful. I think he'd be a great pick for us @ 14. If this draft wasn't so deep he would be a top 10 pick for sure, maybe top 5.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BearJim

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Soul, I wonder what Emery would do if he was there @ 14 & someone in the late teens, early 20's offered us a pretty good trade down. Two-three weeks ago I definitely would think hard about the trade down, but now I'm not so sure. This is going to be a very interesting draft, plus FA is far from over.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Nix projects almost exclusively as a 2-gap, 3-4 NT not a 1-gap, 4-3 3-tech. And he's had a recent knee surgery to go with a weight that was as high as 350lbs not too long ago. Risk there....

Hageman is a physical freak with "potential" no doubt but didn't put up the production to match in college. He also projects as a 4-3 NT or 3-4 DE, not as a gap-shooting 4-3 DT.

Jernigan is the closest match IMHO. But even he is a more of a hybrid 4-3 NT/DT in the mold of Ratliff, not a pure 3-tech.

I'm not saying any of these other "DTs" are necessarily WRONG for us just that they aren't perfect fits as a Melton-replacement. When you talk about the latter, Donald appears to be the definite head of the class. I've already explained why he remained a bit of a "sleeper" until as recently as the Senior Bowl & Combine.
    • Like Like x 1