Why I am leary of Donald.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 16, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,017ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    No Pitt is not a small school, but they also weren't on TV every week either, like ND or Fla. State was. As for Nix, after he hurt his knee I think that caused him to drop some, so when you look at it, not much has changed, except Donald took better advantage of his platforms in front of a lot of scouts, and it made them re-look his film. This happens frequently in the draft.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    Here is the tape. If we don't pick him if he is still on the board @ 14, I think many coffee tables of Bears fans are in big trouble. Including mine!

3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,905ß
    Here is another tape. 300 pound DT doing a flip. Now thats impressive.

Gamefilm with interview

4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    But can he jump out of a swimmingpool?
    :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,017ß
    I'll still never understand that pick!!

6. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,700ß
    I love that play against Duke where he takes both the QB and the RB down. Reminds me of that photo of Butkus with his arms around three Packers making a tackle on Jim Taylor. There's another quote I'm reminded of that fits and I think it was from Doug Atkins. He said that when he played the run he just grabbed as many guys as his arms would hold and kept tossing them away until he found the guy with the ball. He said, " him I kept". LOL

Not only is Donald incredibly quick of the snap but when you watch him chasing the QB down he looks every bit as fast as McClellin and that's incredible for a guy who goes nearly 290lbs with a squat build. He also seems to read and diagnose very quickly. Good intuition and football smarts. I don't think there's any doubt this kid can play 3 tech DT for the Bears. The only question is whether or not he's still on the board at #14 and whether Emery rates the need at DT above another position.

• Like Like x 2
  7. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Dropped where???? On the internet big boards??? On anyone that claims to be an expert and put out rankings???

Why don't people make up their own opinions on who they like and don't like. It's like we've been brainwashed by these 'experts' that get paid to make lists. They aren't the scouts that are on the road all year and definitly not GMs that do this for a living.

I swear; I've heard the dumbest comments lately; one's like "I'll be pissed if Emery picks Ealy at #14 - he's ranked #18th.

REALLY???????

There are a LOT of good picks to be at #14. Anyone can be a bust and anyone can turn out to be a stud. The draft is far from a perfect science and stuff happens.

• Like Like x 3
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    612ß
    Man I don't get it, MP is absolutely right. Aaron Donald didn't just come out of nowhere!
    Just because he didn't show up in Walter Footballs Mock for the first round in January, or just because "Draft Countdown" had him ranked 5th or 6th does not mean he came out of nowhere. If it means anything, it means you shouldn't trust those sources until much closer to the draft. To prove my point, let me provide the following:

Before the 2013 college season, Aaron Donald was one of several top tier players to be on the WATCH LIST for several collegiate awards for football players, so obviously someone was already paying attention to him.
    In the second week of December, 2013 Aaron Donald WON ALL of the following:
    1. The Lombardi Award, given to the best Offensive or Defensive Lineman OR Linebacker
    2. The Bronko Nagurski Award, given to the Best Defensive Player
    3. The Chuck Bednarik Award, Defensive Player of the Year
    4. The Outland Trophy, Best Offensive or Defensive Lineman

Now, I'm not one to put a lot of stock into individual awards, but the last player to win all of these was named Ndamukong Suh, and the ONLY OTHER Defensive Linemen to EVER win the Bednarik award was Suh and a kid by the name of Julius Peppers.

So, the point is, just because "we" didn't know him, doesn't mean people that truly know didn't know him.

Add this to the highlight reels you can find on line, his superior performance at the Senior Bowl and at the Combine, and I truly hope like hell that one or two inches of height allows him to drop to us, because by all rights, this kid should be a top 10 pick, and he might end up being so. At the very least, I am starting to see him mocked to the Giants at 12 since they lost Linval Joseph. Aaron Donald did not just come out of no where.

• Like Like x 3
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,698ß
    Stock, that right there is exactly the thing. It's not the team HAS to take x player or y position. Just get the best available player at one of the many NEEDs

10. soulman

soulman Position Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,700ß
    LOL, I can do back flips on Madden too, and leap tall building in a single bound and catch bullets between my teeth. :rofl2: