Why I want Phil to draft Zach Mettenberger

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Apr 11, 2014.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    918ß
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10758654/zach-mettenberger-shines-lsu-tigers-pro-day

Zach Mettenberger sharp at pro day

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Just 13 weeks removed from surgery to repair a torn ACL, LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger impressed a packed house full of NFL coaches, general managers and scouts by going through a full pro day workout on Wednesday.

By most accounts, Mettenberger helped to boost his draft stock with a display that would have been considered solid even if had never been injured. He's projected as a possible second- or third-round draft choice.
    "It says a lot about him. And his doctor," said New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton, who was one of five NFL coaches in attendance for LSU's talent-rich pro day. "It's pretty impressive. You know, 10 years ago you couldn't do that. I thought he did a real good job."

Mettenberger, who had surgery on Jan. 2 to repair his left knee, threw nearly 125 passes and made every throw while wearing a helmet and shoulder pads -- the new trend started by fellow prospect Johnny Manziel last month.

The 6-foot-5, 224-pounder moved in the pocket and threw on the run at times. And he consistently showed off a big arm that many analysts consider to be among the strongest of this year's draft prospects.

Naturally, Mettenberger showed some signs of fatigue with a few mistimed throws. But observers said he threw even more balls than quarterbacks usually do. And his arm strength remained intact through the workout.

"I thought he did outstanding. Almost miraculous," said LSU offensive coordinator Cam Cameron, the longtime former NFL coach who directed the workout. "Thirteen weeks after surgery, to come out here and throw more than a hundred balls and complete 90-plus percent of them. ...

"He was grinding today. We could have come out, made it a nice, easy workout, 50 balls. I've been to a couple of these, guys threw 40 balls and called it a day. But I think arm strength matters, and I think arm endurance matters."

Mettenberger was a little harder on himself, saying, "I wasn't too pleased with myself on some of those throws today. But sometimes I hold myself to an almost unrealistic standard. ... All things considered, I thought I did OK, but I still have a lot of room to improve on."

Mettenberger said he thinks Wednesday's workout will also encourage more NFL teams to invite him in for private workouts, since he had been told teams were hesitant to work him out because of the uncertainty over his health.

Mettenberger said his first visit is lined up for Thursday with the Jacksonville Jaguars, followed by a Saturday trip to visit the Detroit Lions.

"You know, I've been saying for a couple weeks now that I was healthy and good enough to go, and I don't think y'all believed me," Mettenberger said. "I think the biggest thing I wanted to do was show that I could go out there and take an explosive drop like everyone knows I can."

Mettenberger estimated that he is about 85 or 90 percent healthy and that he expects to be 100 percent in time for rookie camps in mid-May. LSU trainer Jack Marucci backed up that optimistic timetable by saying that Mettenberger's knee is already showing 95 to 97 percent strength on the Cybex machine that's used to test such injuries.

Mettenberger's surgery was performed by LSU team orthopedist Dr. Brent Bankston, who prefers to use a hamstring tendon instead of a patellar tendon. And Marucci said many LSU players in recent years have returned under similar timetables. Both procedures are common, with different surgeons having different preferences.

ESPN injury analyst Stephania Bell (who did not attend Wednesday's workout) said the type of work Mettenberger did Wednesday should certainly be considered a good sign. However, she cautioned that the knee is still going through the healing process and no one should consider his workout as a sign that he is now fully healed.

The bigger tests will come down the road when he is under duress -- either taking hits or escaping pressure, etc. It is possible that Mettenberger could be playing for a team in the preseason, though.

"I think I showed that I'm not gonna start the season on a PUP list," Mettenberger said. "I think I showed that I'm gonna be healthy enough to practice and compete for a job. And by the time the season rolls around, I'm gonna be fully healed, no question."

Mettenberger's injury came in the final regular-season game of his breakout senior year with the Tigers, in which he threw for 3,082 yards, 22 touchdowns and eight interceptions. Mettenberger's career got off to a bumpy start. First, there was an off-field arrest for misdemeanor sexual battery that led to his dismissal from the Georgia football team.

Then it took him a while to shine consistently at LSU. But he started to bloom under Cameron's tutelage in a pro-style offense last year. It's possible Mettenberger could rise up high into the second round of the draft, though opinions on the "second tier" of quarterbacks seem to be all over the map.

ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski, for one, said recently he thinks Mettenberger is the second-best quarterback prospect in this year's class behind only Central Florida's Blake Bortles.

Payton and other NFL talent evaluators consistently mentioned how much they enjoyed the workout that was put together by Cameron, who said he modeled it after a typical LSU practice session.

Receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry also appeared to strengthen their draft prospects. Beckham, a dynamic athlete who could crack the top 20 overall picks, shined during the passing drills. He didn't need to run the 40-yard dash since he had already posted a time of 4.43 seconds at the NFL scouting combine.

Landry, meanwhile, posted a badly-needed 40-yard dash time of 4.58 seconds, according to the school. Landry, a possible second-round pick, had run a surprisingly-slow time of 4.77 seconds at the combine.

Beckham said he has individual visits lined up with the New York Jets, Cincinnati Bengals and Buffalo Bills among other teams. He also had dinner with the Pittsburgh Steelers on Tuesday night and was planning to have dinner Wednesday night with members of the Saints' contingent, which always comes to LSU's pro day in full force since it's an hour away from New Orleans.

Other NFL coaches in attendance Wednesday were the New York Jets' Rex Ryan, Steelers' Mike Tomlin, the Philadelphia Eagles' Chip Kelly and the Minnesota Vikings' Mike Zimmer.

2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I like this guy alot. Great 3rd round guy if hes there IMO. My ONLY question is if he lost any mobility from that injury. While he wasn't per say a running 'threat' he showed great ability to extend plays when it all went to hell. He also had the speed and open field moving ability to hurt you if you fell asleep on him. While he has to tone it down in the pros he was a great competitor at LSU and would try to finish through contact to convert first downs and tochdowns when the time called for it.
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +915 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    918ß
    The only downside is that he's a southern QB who's used to warm and humid conditions. I don't know how well he would play up north.
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Well he wouldn't sweat as much. LOL
    ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    What I love about this draft is there are a ton of guys I would love to see Emery draft this year at all rounds, there is a ton of low ceiling low basement guys, not top teir but guys that can contribute and create depth on a roster.

As for Zach he definately has the measurables.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,188ß
    I spell measurables : W.... E.... B.... B..... LOL
    • Like Like x 2
  7. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    McCarron is a better fit in my eyes
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,311 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,478ß
    ya but the next guy will have Trestman working w/him, and I'm certain he made Tice take his pixie dust with him.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,188ß
    man... I just shake my head every time I think about Tice. What the hell was Lovie thinking when he gave him the OC job? There was never any indication he could handle that.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    he did after all do wonders with Jacksonville's line and MJD
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,231 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    I like Zach and I feel he's a sleeper. That said I'll wager other teams are vying for him as well and he'll get taken a round or so higher than anticipated. I can't see Phil reaching on a backup qb unless Trestman really lobbies for him.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Jay played at Vandy, Favre at Southern Miss, Rodgers at Cal and Grossman at........ah hell let's forget that last one, the other three all played at warm weather schools and have managed to do OK in the Windy City and up in the Cheese Tundra. After he's freezes the "boys" once he'll adapt. The thing about northern clime QBs who play outdoors is that they need a good arm and a tight spiral to cut through the wind.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    BC yo' eyes be lookin' at the wrong thing. It's that fiancée of his you should be keepin' an eye on. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    That's ALL YOU DO? Just shake your head. That weak man, really weak.

I've busted up three guitars, two amps, four TV sets, and a computer already and I still can't him out of my head! :3 8 14[1]:
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think you may be right shorty. The guys who were supposed to be the kingpins aren't as impressive as everyone thought they'd be and the second tier guys are moving up the boards. How may times was Blake Bortles ever mentioned as the top QB in this draft before this spring?
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,188ß
    ok, you asked for it :14 6 12[1]: :14 6 12[1]:

I never mentioned whicgh head did I?
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    His arm strength and accuracy looks so much sharper than Johnny boy. I could see Sean Payton taking him 2nd, which is still way better deal for any team over the Johnny boy gamble. If you could get him in the 3rd round that would be a great pick.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    FWIW here's his Combine Profile; He's a project kid put he's got the size and arm you'd like to see.

Zach Mettenberger
    QB LSU
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grade
    5.27?
    • 6'5" Height
    • 32 3/8" Arm Length
    • 224LBS. Weight
    • 9 3/4" Hands
    Overview
    2013: Played in and started 12 games. Missed Outback Bowl against Iowa after tearing his left ACL in regular-season finale vs. Arkansas. Became third LSU QB to throw for 3,000 yards in a season (Rohan Davey, 3,347 yards in 2001; and JaMarcus Russell, 3,129 yards in 2006). 2012: Started all 13 games. 2011: Played in five games. 2010: Played at Butler Community College, and led Butler to 11-1 record and berth in the JUCO National Championship Game. 2009: Did not play while at Georgia, and transferred after season. Pleaded guilty to two counts of misdemeanor sexual battery after groping a woman at Flip Flops bar near Valdosta. Coach Mark Richt kicked him off the team on April 18, 2010.
    (At least we know he's not gay. I guess that's good to know ahead of time. LOL)

Analysis
    Strengths
    Exceptional size. Outstanding arm strength -- spins it with velocity and can make all the throws. Can drill the deep out and fit it into a tight window across the field throwing to his left. Ran an NFL-style offense under coordinator Cam Cameron and learned how to become more of a leader as a senior.

Weaknesses
    Heavy-footed with a long delivery, which translates to the pocket closing on him quickly when he moves and is forced off a spot. Takes unnecessary sacks and is rattled easily under duress. Really labors to hasten his release and get rid of the ball quickly when needed. Has tunnel vision and arms the ball too much. Tends to trigger late and frequently underthrows the deep ball. Does not throw receivers open and forces them to adjust. Can learn to take pace off the ball and throw with more touch, better timing and anticipation. Had a very strong supporting cast with NFL-caliber receivers and a stout offensive line. Weight fluctuated early in his career and arrived at LSU pushing 260 pounds. Is coming off an ACL injury and will require some rehabilitation time. Character will require closer scrutiny.

Bottom Line
    Pure dropback, strong-armed thrower who will require patient, confidence-building play-calling and a clean pocket to function at a high level in the NFL. Has starter talent in a vertical, downfield passing attack if he can learn to take command of a huddle and continue progressing as a decision-maker. How he interviews with teams could go a long way toward determining his draft status.
  19. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Said it a while ago and I'll say it again, If we're going to grab a developmental QB, it better be late and it should be Tom Savage.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Good find sox. If there's one out there who might be flying a bit under the radar because of his college career he may be it. This kid seems to have all the tools anyone would look for in a developmental guy who just needs some time and really good coaching to improve his game. Start with a Pitt DT (Donald) and finish with a Pitt QB (Savage). Has a nice symmetry to it. LOL

Tom Savage
    QB Pittsburgh
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grade
    5.18?
    • 4.97 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 27.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 105.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 7.33 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.36 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 6'4" Height
    • 31 5/8" Arm Length
    • 228LBS. Weight
    • 9 5/8" Hands
    Overview
    Sat out two seasons due to NCAA transfer rules. 2013: Started all 13 games for Pittsburgh. Left Little Caesars Pizza Bowl against Bowling Green with a rib injury. Threw just three interceptions in final nine games. 2012: Transferred to Pittsburgh prior to 2011 season. Did not play due to NCAA rules. Did not feel new Arizona coach Rich Rodriguez played a style of football to fit his game. Wanted to enroll at Rutgers again but hardship waiver to play immediately was denied. 2011: Transferred to Arizona prior to 2011 season, but did not play due to NCAA rules. 2010: Played in six games and made four starts for Rutgers. Ineffective early in the season before suffering a hand injury. 2009: Played in 12 games and made 11 starts as a true freshman. Was named the Scarlet Knights' Most Valuable Offensive Player after having the most passing yards (2,211) and touchdowns (14) by a true freshman quarterback in Big East history.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Terrific size. Sets with balance. Easy, compact, high three-quarters release. Spins a catchable ball. Excellent arm strength to complete NFL throws -- capable of sticking outs from the deep hash or launching balls 60 yards on the money. Experience in pro-style offense. Smart and hardworking. Solid personal and football character. Has tools to work with. Team captain.

Weaknesses
    Needs to speed up his clock and show better awareness in the pocket. Needs to quicken his eyes, expand his field vision and learn to manipulate safeties. Tends to stare down his target. Forces some throws into traffic. Erratic accuracy. Slow of foot -- not a scramble threat. Can improve play-action fake. Had some duds -- struggled against Florida State, Virginia and Virginia Tech. Mental toughness needs to be looked into.

Bottom Line
    Big, inconsistent pocket passer who took a circuitous route to Pittsburgh, where he played a full season for the first time since 2009. Is inconsistent and in need of more reps, but has ample arm talent to warrant developmental consideration if teams deem his intangibles worthy of an investment.