Why I want Phil to draft Zach Mettenberger

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

Yep, I think any QB phil takes will have Trestman's fingerprints all over it. Especially if hes taken higher than we expect you can gauren-damn-tee that Trestman wanted Phil to make sure he could bring him in. I think Tresty deserves that much, to be able to work with a guy who he chooses if he is really that sold on someone. Come draft day if there is a qb taken that seems early/reaching/out of sorts then I'll be very excited because Trestman likely really likes that guy. Again, my darkhorse is Logan Thomas in the 4th or Mettenberger
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    My only question on Mettenberger is he had alot of plays made for him ala the LSU offense this year. Watch some highlights, it's hard to find he play he made by himself that you see form other qb prospects. Either a PA leading to an uncovered vertical, a clean pocket for 7 seconds allowing easy delivery ect. Not saying I wouldn't want him, just something to keep an eye on.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Seems like this years QB crop has more long term promise at the bottom with later round picks than hot prospects at the top Grizz. Funny how things can change when a year ago idiots like Clutchler were screaming to dump Jay because of the wealth of top QB talent coming out of colleges in 2014. Another theory by that "genius" disproved huh?

From what I can see (and it's not much, the mountains kind of get in the way) this crop of QBs has a number of possibilities for a developmental guy to compete with Jerrod Johnson for that spot. I'm not foolish enough to believe they'll let a rookie have a shot at the #2 chair so there's still a need for more prospects to be looked at there but with that spare 6th round pick I'd almost rather see us use it on a QB than another DB or TE to play STeams if that.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

I agree with everything besides the bolded. I think that a qb should be drafted a bit earlier, and should be at least in TC competition with Palmer for the #2 job. Palmer is a question mark and at 29 years old doesn't have much long value for us. If we can get a guy who can beat him out or play competitively with him then we are better prepared for the frequent Cutler injury. While I hope it doesn't come to this if Cuter does go down again I would rather have options in the backup other than an unproven 29 year old. It's entirely possible Trestman pulls a McCown with Palmer but regardless we should have a young guy in the mix. We have seen how well late round and UDFA guys stick with Blanchard and such, so I would like to see a qb in the 3-5 range who can provide depth and try to move into the long term plan.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    As long as Uncle Phil can take care of the most immediate needs one way or another I really don't care where he takes a QB or a RB if that's what he decides to do. I only stated it that way because down around the 5th and 6th rounds is where some of that talent will fall as teams start backfilling depth around there confirmed starters.

IMHO even a 3rd round guy will not be ready to do what Trestman expects of him. Remember, he expects the #2 to add substantial input in the meeting room as well as be prepared to play if called upon. I'd suggest that it's almost impossible for a rookie whose never even been in a pro offense, (this one specifically) or played a single down of pro football, to have enough of an understanding of it all to meet those objectives no matter how much potential he has.

Add to that Phil Emery's aversion to not having a vet backup with enough skill and well enough prepared to win games if he needs to and that says he wants a vet #2 as well. If that wasn't the case then he would never have brought in Campbell or stuck with McCown instead of drafting a rookie or signing a higher priced FA vet to take that spot. There were quite a few who changed teams these past couple of years. If he can't find better than Palmer then my guess is he's gonna be the #2.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Yes, IMO probably not come TC. But by the time we MAY need him he may be. I see any qb taken as an insurance policy to Palmer for this year. Then going forward they will decide weather he can take over for Palmer first as the backup down the road, and then see if he can be "our guy" of the future. Anyone we take will be insurance against a Cutler injury and Palmer not being able to get it done. None of us, not even Trestman knows exactly how Palmer will do if needed, so I think if we find a guy we like it would be wise to pull the trigger.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    I'd really like to see what Trestman can do with Palmer (but I'd still to draft a guy that Trestman is high on). If he can do with Palmer what he did with McCown, that will be enough for me. That won't be a coincidence.
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    I said it the first time I mentioned him, and it Bears ( pun semi intended) repeating ... I REALLY like his arm talent.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,320 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Read some good, under-the-radar stuff about him. Where do you think he will go? Do you think he could be draftable in the 5th?
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    I wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the mid rounds.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    yeah right... LOL the fact he is a QB provides cover! You knew I was going to take a shot! Just too easy LOL
    • Like Like x 1