Why I'm not worried (and why you shouldn't be either)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,251ß
    Ratings:
    +5,424 / 9 / -7
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Yes, we lost a game we shouldve won.
    Yes, this doesnt look good with some of the more difficult matchups coming up

But...regardless of what you heard, the sky is NOT falling.

Just some stats to keep in mind about this game:

Total First Downs: Bills 15, Bears 29.
    Yes, you read that correctly, the Bears almost had DOUBLE the number of first downs as the Bills had. What does this mean? Our offense can move the ball, and convert.

Net Yards Passing: Bills 167, Bears 341.
    Again...yes, you read that correctly, Cutler & Co. had more than DOUBLE the number of passing yards. This offense is as advertised, even with AJ and Marsh missing portions of the game. Defenses are really going to struggle against this offense, with so many weapons at our disposal. And the sack numbers? Manuel sacked once, Cutler twice. If you watched the game, Cutler did very well getting rid of the ball when he had to, and most of the time, it was a success.

Net Rushing Yards: Bills 193, Bears 86.
    Wait. What now? Why did i include that stat line? Because this needs to be nipped in the bud right now. Everyone is going to look at that and blast our Run D, and they did much better than that. This stat is HIGHLY inflated because of two bonehead plays by our D which resulted in two very long rush plays. Jackson rushed for a 38 yarder, and Dixon rushed for a 47 yarder. Thats 85 rushing yards on two plays alone.

Combine this with the fact that BUF ran the Ball 33 TIMES, it is not surprising this number is inflated. If you take just those two plays out, you are left with 108 yards on 31 carries, or a very pedestrian 3.27 YPC. Think thats cheating? Ok, lets leave it in, and you have 193 yards on 33 carries and its 5.8 YPC. As for the Bears? Well, they only ran it 18 times, so 86 yards on 18 carries comes out to 4.8. Which is pretty close to the standard 5.0 ypc anyway.

Penalties: Bills 9, Bears 4.
    This is an improvement over Pre-season, where we got hammered with flags all day and tomorrow. Bills are the team that shot themselves in the foot on penalties, not the Bears.

Total Net Yards: Bills 360, Bears 427.
    Sounds close, but again i ask you to use your imagination for a second, and remove those 85 Yards from those 2 rushing plays. NOW what do they have? A perfectly acceptable 275 TOTAL NET Yards. Why is that important? Because it shows our Defense HAS improved, save for those two runs they gave up. I dont like it more than any of you, but i will not allow everyone to blast the performance our Defense did based solely on those two plays. If you want to blast just those two plays...fine, its deserved. But do NOT pretend like it is representative of their entire performance today, because its not. Our D held them to only 15 First downs, and they were 4-12 on 3rd down conversions, both of which are massive improvements. They kept Manuel to under 200 yards passing, and MOST of the Run D was good enough.

What about the Bears? Are their stats inflated because of large offensive plays too? Only one...Cutler's initial 44 yard pass to AJ that set up our initial TD. Besides that? Our longest Rush was a 14 yarder by Forte, and our longest pass was an 18 yarder ....by Forte. The Bears had more than double the yards as the Bills, with only a single play that was over 20 yards, which means the Bears fought for every yard they got.

Blah blah something something Turnovers.
    Yes, Turnovers killed us. But other teams can not depend on Marshall to fumble the ball every game, nor for Jay to throw two INTs each week. Yes, the TOs killed our chances of winning and cost us dearly, but do not expect a habit of them.

So...there it is boys and girls. Why I'm not too worried about this season, and why you shouldnt be either.

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    624ß
    Ratings:
    +540 / 0 / -0
    Im not worried, because it cannot get worse than this, losing to Bills at Soldier. From this point on we can only move up, yes

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,066ß
    Ratings:
    +4,518 / 10 / -8
    I think it's important to note that if you rush the the ball 30+ times you're going to have a few big runs; it's why it's so important to run the ball 25+ times a game, the Bears didn't they put it in the hands of their qb, and they lost.

I agree w/most of this Jimmors except the Cutler int thing, if they have him throw 50 times a game, he's going to throw 2 picks in those 50 attempts.

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,251ß
    Ratings:
    +5,424 / 9 / -7
    It wasnt just any loss, it was an OT loss...the fact this team came back from 17 unanswered points to tie the game, and send it into overtime, despite the fact we lost the Turnover battle is very telling. It says the game really could have gone either way, we simply gave them good scoring positions with our INTs/Fumbles.

• Like Like x 3
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,066ß
    Ratings:
    +4,518 / 10 / -8
    you forgot this friendly stat Jimmors, and one reason not to be to concerned:

Michael C. Wright ‏@mikecwright 11s
    Think about it: during regulation Buffalo only had to gain 58 yards of offense for 13 pts because of turnovers.

if the Bears don't turn the ball over 3 times that equated to less then 60 yards of O for the Bills, this game might well be a walk away win by the Bears

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    624ß
    Ratings:
    +540 / 0 / -0
    believe me man, im just as positive as u, although i must admit i have pretty low tolerance for a few of our players, i know, some of them have valid excuses, but nevertheless, im fed up of shit repeating

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    Ratings:
    +775 / 1 / -0
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,460ß
    Ratings:
    +2,035 / 3 / -6
    Don't get me wrong, I am still pissed. But I agree with Jimmor's post. The outcome of the game is unacceptable but the season is not over yet.

Truth is, we're tied with GB. :lol 027:

There's plenty of work ahead of us but we control our own destiny.

New England also lost against a shitty team, and yet I don't see Pats fans freaking out the way we are.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,251ß
    Ratings:
    +5,424 / 9 / -7
    Oh, there are a few players i am fed up with: Briggs looks old and busted, Allen got manhandled all game and totally not earning his paycheck. But overall, i have faith our defense has improved enough to make this team a contender. I think the addition of Willie Young an Lamarr Houston has helped, getting DJ Williams back has helped. Conte stepping up at times helps.

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0

I'm not "worried", because there is nothing to be worried about. No one hear can honestly believe that this team was a serious Super Bowl contender this year, regardless of how we looked against Buffalo. We all already know that Seattle would beat the sh*t out of this team, so how can we possibly get too upset over a Week 1 loss to Buffalo when we keep our eyes on the big picture? Was the loss disappointing? Sure? Was it disappointing to see that Jay is still Jay? Sure. But there is nothing to get worried about, since we aren't close to competing with the NFC's elite teams to begin with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1