Why I'm not worried (and why you shouldn't be either)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Yes, we lost a game we shouldve won.
    Yes, this doesnt look good with some of the more difficult matchups coming up

But...regardless of what you heard, the sky is NOT falling.

Just some stats to keep in mind about this game:

Total First Downs: Bills 15, Bears 29.
    Yes, you read that correctly, the Bears almost had DOUBLE the number of first downs as the Bills had. What does this mean? Our offense can move the ball, and convert.

Net Yards Passing: Bills 167, Bears 341.
    Again...yes, you read that correctly, Cutler & Co. had more than DOUBLE the number of passing yards. This offense is as advertised, even with AJ and Marsh missing portions of the game. Defenses are really going to struggle against this offense, with so many weapons at our disposal. And the sack numbers? Manuel sacked once, Cutler twice. If you watched the game, Cutler did very well getting rid of the ball when he had to, and most of the time, it was a success.

Net Rushing Yards: Bills 193, Bears 86.
    Wait. What now? Why did i include that stat line? Because this needs to be nipped in the bud right now. Everyone is going to look at that and blast our Run D, and they did much better than that. This stat is HIGHLY inflated because of two bonehead plays by our D which resulted in two very long rush plays. Jackson rushed for a 38 yarder, and Dixon rushed for a 47 yarder. Thats 85 rushing yards on two plays alone.

Combine this with the fact that BUF ran the Ball 33 TIMES, it is not surprising this number is inflated. If you take just those two plays out, you are left with 108 yards on 31 carries, or a very pedestrian 3.27 YPC. Think thats cheating? Ok, lets leave it in, and you have 193 yards on 33 carries and its 5.8 YPC. As for the Bears? Well, they only ran it 18 times, so 86 yards on 18 carries comes out to 4.8. Which is pretty close to the standard 5.0 ypc anyway.

Penalties: Bills 9, Bears 4.
    This is an improvement over Pre-season, where we got hammered with flags all day and tomorrow. Bills are the team that shot themselves in the foot on penalties, not the Bears.

Total Net Yards: Bills 360, Bears 427.
    Sounds close, but again i ask you to use your imagination for a second, and remove those 85 Yards from those 2 rushing plays. NOW what do they have? A perfectly acceptable 275 TOTAL NET Yards. Why is that important? Because it shows our Defense HAS improved, save for those two runs they gave up. I dont like it more than any of you, but i will not allow everyone to blast the performance our Defense did based solely on those two plays. If you want to blast just those two plays...fine, its deserved. But do NOT pretend like it is representative of their entire performance today, because its not. Our D held them to only 15 First downs, and they were 4-12 on 3rd down conversions, both of which are massive improvements. They kept Manuel to under 200 yards passing, and MOST of the Run D was good enough.

What about the Bears? Are their stats inflated because of large offensive plays too? Only one...Cutler's initial 44 yard pass to AJ that set up our initial TD. Besides that? Our longest Rush was a 14 yarder by Forte, and our longest pass was an 18 yarder ....by Forte. The Bears had more than double the yards as the Bills, with only a single play that was over 20 yards, which means the Bears fought for every yard they got.

Blah blah something something Turnovers.
    Yes, Turnovers killed us. But other teams can not depend on Marshall to fumble the ball every game, nor for Jay to throw two INTs each week. Yes, the TOs killed our chances of winning and cost us dearly, but do not expect a habit of them.

So...there it is boys and girls. Why I'm not too worried about this season, and why you shouldnt be either.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    Im not worried, because it cannot get worse than this, losing to Bills at Soldier. From this point on we can only move up, yes
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    I think it's important to note that if you rush the the ball 30+ times you're going to have a few big runs; it's why it's so important to run the ball 25+ times a game, the Bears didn't they put it in the hands of their qb, and they lost.

I agree w/most of this Jimmors except the Cutler int thing, if they have him throw 50 times a game, he's going to throw 2 picks in those 50 attempts.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    It wasnt just any loss, it was an OT loss...the fact this team came back from 17 unanswered points to tie the game, and send it into overtime, despite the fact we lost the Turnover battle is very telling. It says the game really could have gone either way, we simply gave them good scoring positions with our INTs/Fumbles.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    you forgot this friendly stat Jimmors, and one reason not to be to concerned:

Michael C. Wright ‏@mikecwright 11s
    Think about it: during regulation Buffalo only had to gain 58 yards of offense for 13 pts because of turnovers.

if the Bears don't turn the ball over 3 times that equated to less then 60 yards of O for the Bills, this game might well be a walk away win by the Bears
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    believe me man, im just as positive as u, although i must admit i have pretty low tolerance for a few of our players, i know, some of them have valid excuses, but nevertheless, im fed up of shit repeating
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +704 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    Don't get me wrong, I am still pissed. But I agree with Jimmor's post. The outcome of the game is unacceptable but the season is not over yet.

Truth is, we're tied with GB. :lol 027:

There's plenty of work ahead of us but we control our own destiny.

New England also lost against a shitty team, and yet I don't see Pats fans freaking out the way we are.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Oh, there are a few players i am fed up with: Briggs looks old and busted, Allen got manhandled all game and totally not earning his paycheck. But overall, i have faith our defense has improved enough to make this team a contender. I think the addition of Willie Young an Lamarr Houston has helped, getting DJ Williams back has helped. Conte stepping up at times helps.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß

I'm not "worried", because there is nothing to be worried about. No one hear can honestly believe that this team was a serious Super Bowl contender this year, regardless of how we looked against Buffalo. We all already know that Seattle would beat the sh*t out of this team, so how can we possibly get too upset over a Week 1 loss to Buffalo when we keep our eyes on the big picture? Was the loss disappointing? Sure? Was it disappointing to see that Jay is still Jay? Sure. But there is nothing to get worried about, since we aren't close to competing with the NFC's elite teams to begin with.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  11. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Honestly...i take that as a good sign. This lost hurt. They are gong to feel this sting going forward, and im willing to bet it makes them more determined to not feel that way again.
  12. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    We are closer than you think, especially since we probably have the best offense in the NFC right now, last season we were second in total points, behind Manning and the Broncos. All we really needed was a mediocre-good defense to be a contender, the fact our defense was dead fucking last in most categories last season is what dragged us down.
  13. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +367 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    347ß
    Allen looked horrible. PFF rated Allen as an average player and people were pissed off, now they see some of that truth. The dude's average. Sure he gets sacks, but his productivity is low. His snap count to sack ratio is awfully low and he's a liability in the run game. An easy adjustment here would be to start Willie Young and rotate Allen in the game. Young has a higher snap/sack ratio AND he's solid in the run game. By making that one switch we can make strong improvements on that side of the field.

Conte's a mixed bag and I think we'd be better off benching him for Vereen or McCray. The dude just can't tackle. The obvious example of this was the Fred Jackson play to end the game, but time and again he gets shoved around by running backs and receivers. He can't be trusted to provide the support the team needs. I don't know that Vereen or McCray can either, but they at least deserve an opportunity after that debacle.

I'm less negative about Briggs. He looked spotty, having some exceptional plays and having some poor plays. Truthfully though, we don't have anyone of quality to attempt and replace him with.

Ok I'm done talking about the defense. Overall, they played at a level I can accept for the first game. This is not true of the offensive unit and the HORRIBLE play calling by Trestman.

EDIT: Rather than make a new post, let me just qualify the HORRIBLE Trestman statement here.
    I say Trestman's play calling was horrible because we had a pass/rush ratio of 3/1. Given that the Bills have a historically porous defense in the run game, that demonstrates poor play calling. I also think that ratio is what ultimately led to the turnovers and injuries. One dimensional football, especially with a QB like Cutler who gets flustered easily, is HORRIBLE play calling. Couple that with the fact that he sticks with the passing game after we've tied the game up and after we have three injured receivers (Marshall, Jeffery, Morgan), it just seems asinine.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Horrible? You did seem my OP where i stated they had 29 first downs and 427 net Offensive yards, yes?

Sure...he tried some "cute" plays that completely failed, but overall his play calling (and the execution by the players) was excellent (for most part). Certainly not "horrible."
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß

People all off season have been talking about Conte as serviceable "if the front 7 are good" well welcome to that, b/c the front 7 aren't good; the front 4 are, but they aren't great either. I'll admit I like the Allen signing, but I was worried about it. At the time I liked our DE's w/Houston/Young/Bass and maybe a mid round draft pick along w/a inside DL and a S in the first.

Conte isn't a good to great S, he's an average S at best and how he can be at best isn't on this team.
  16. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well then let me be the voice of concern starting with the defense.

I don't mean to be insulting Jimmors, just very direct. This is a steaming pile of horseshit. We gave up that much yardage period. Whether it happened over 10 plays or two play it happened. Does anyone need reminding that giving up huge chunks of yardage in one or two plays was what led to our problems stopping the run last year? We gave up 121 yds rushing in 12 carries to their f'n backup RBs! Do you all recall how Brandon Jacobs came off the street to run all over us in the Giant game last year? Well it's happening again isn't it.

It's bonehead plays on both sides of the ball that lose games and that's what did it today. Those two bonehead plays coupled with two bonehead picks (one of Bennett and one on Cutler) and we gave a game away we should have won. Last year we may have been able to blame some of it on rookie mistakes but these were not rookies blowing it up today. These are the vets who should be way beyond allowing bonehead plays to happen. We out gained them and we won the TOP battle but we couldn't stop them with our brand new shiny defense when we needed to. Come on man enough with the excuses. That's all I heard last year and all I heard all preseason.

This was supposed to be all fixed by today. Did it look fixed to anybody else because it sure didn't look like anything was fixed to me. On top of our misery playing the run our prize rookie CB and our Pro Bowl CB (now nickel CB) got burned all game long. Whenever Manuel needed a big play he went right at those two and won more than he lost. Item three. Where was that vaunted pass rush? I saw someone ask where McClellin was today. Screw McClellin. Where was Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston, and J. Ratliff? The only guy I say do any damage was Willie Young. Mel Tucker's past defenses have never been great pass rushers and it looks like he wants to keep his rep intact.

I'm sorry Jimmors. Nothing against you personally but what you posted is nothing but a bunch of bullshit excuses that should never had to have been used. Not this week and not against this team. All week long many of you were forecasting a blow out. How'd that go for you? The pure fact of the matter is it should have been a blowout and the Bears don't get to use the excuse oops we made a few big mistakes or it would have been different. Quick TD, stop Buffalo on the next possession, get good field position and score again. That's how good team win games. They don't squander any opportunity to put the game in the bag as early as they can.

We come out and score and then put that same old weak ass ineffective defense out there and bang, it a tie game. Then Trestman gets cute with his play calling and we lose all momentum. Truth of it is that's where this game was lost the first time. The rest were the bonuses we gave Buffalo. Excuse me if I'm only stating the obvious here but did anyone bother to notice that whenever Buffalo needed a big play they always went back to a play that worked before. That couldn't have been more obvious on that last drive. They got outside on you Mel did you actually think they weren't gonna call it again? They did the same thing on pass plays against Fuller and Jennings.

The only reason anyone can even say the defense didn't look that bad was that Buffalo was really only successful on a handful of plays but they kept going back to them because we couldn't stop them. How's that for adjustments and play calling by Mr Tucker? It's just plain ridiculous to keep giving Tucker anymore excuses for why his defense can't seem to stop the big play. What difference does it make if you stop them on 57 plays but give up long TD runs or passes on three? You lost and you can't say the defense wasn't so bad. Not on this planet.

I'm not wishing for the past but I've read a lot of criticism in the past few weeks of Lovie's bend but don't break defense. Which would you rather have, that or Tuckers we only break once in a while the rest of the time we're good defense? I'm sorry but this guy has been given two summers to put together a half way decent defense, scheme it and call a good game and he hasn't done it. I'd say there's an undeniable pattern developing here and it can't be the players because half the defense has been made over. The bottom line is they aren't playing good ball for him. Whether it's his basic schemes, poor game planning or inept play calling or all three I don't know and I don't care. He isn't getting the job done. End of story.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Carthage34

Carthage34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I know the Bears will be 0-2 after next week. Just looking at the schedule I can't see 10- wins let alone 6. As far as Cutler goes he is quite capable of throwing 1-2 picks every game. Should of Could of Would of...you can't take away yards from Buffalo based on your logic. It is what it is the Bears gave up 193 yds rushing! The Bills knew going in if they kept pounding the rock that they would eventually get some big plays(coaching 101). I guarantee you this team will be lucky to win 6 games this year.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    don't you mean 6 win's let alone 10?

this team is better then 8 wins; IF they keep cutler under 40 pass attempts.
  19. Carthage34

Carthage34 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Many experts were picking the Bears to win 10 games, I can't see 6 wins looking at the schedule.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    +1
    I agree Jimmors. It was a tough loss, and a game we should have won. It's a long season and this was just 1 game. If we looked this rough mid-season I'd worry more, but this is the opener and I kind of expected we might look a bit rough. We did. But life, as we know it on planet earth will go on.

Trestman's play calling was pretty bad. Bad Jay was in town. We had some injuries to our best players too.....I mean we had the mighty Spurlock in there as WR at one point. And B.Marsh hurt us with the turnover too. It was the perfect storm for a bad opening game.

We'll get better. I still believe we could have a respectable season.
    • Like Like x 1