Why The NFL Draft Should Be Held In Chicago

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, Jun 10, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    First of all lets look at location and who started this whole NFL mess to begin with ... CHICAGO BEARS.

But its more about demographics and travel time.

How many fans can get to Chicago in 18 hours driving jacked up on caffine ? Denver.

So that defines when fans can get to Chicago ... Pittsburgh,Buffalo,KC,St.Loo,Indy,Clevland,Cinncy,Dallas,

Minnie,Detroit,and Green Bay.

Thats 13 fans in driving range to Chicago.

Lets compare that to NYC : ... 2 NYC fans ... Buffalo ...Philly ... DC ... Balt ... N.E.

Buffalo comes our way because of bloodlines. One of the Great Lakes teams.

Should there be a future NFL Draft in the South ? Absolutley. Atlanta as the place to do it ?
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +478 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    I can see it already. Cities fighting for the draft, be like the superbowl in a few years.
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Pittsburgh is within easy driving distance to NYC too, if I wanted to I could make the drive from Charlotte and Atlanta in a day and a half, plus there is an insane amount of Cowgirls fans who live in the tri-state area, and people from all over the country routinely travel to NYC in the spring time. It's warmer in NYC than it is in Chicago.

Either way...it doesn't matter...no matter where the draft is held, it will still be a packed event.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,428 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    I'd be willing to bet that if Emmanuel doesn't drop the ball then the 2015 draft will be held in Chicago. It makes sense geographically and it's a major TV market plus the NFL can't give him the SB he's after but they can do this so I believe they will. You hometown guys are gonna be happy if that happens.
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    It will be close between Chicago and LA. LA is a bigger market and has lot's of other benefits. I honestly don't get the big deal about it to be honest. Living within 10 minutes of NYC I have been to literally 0 NFL drafts. I've never had a desire to go sit and watch one live, and my wife knows to plan nothing for me the weekend of the NFL draft...thats how much I'm into the draft. I'd much rather watch it at home.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    why dont they just follow suit with the NHL and host it in a different city each year? problem solved
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,428 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    They could but because the NFL Draft is a much bigger spectacle than the NHL Draft my guess is they want it held in one of the major markets for publicity and because they can probably wring more out of them financially than a small market city.

I don't know if anyone read the article about the list of NFL requests (spelled polite demands) makes on the city hosting a Super Bowl but it's intensive. Free rooms, free golf in the warm weather venues and free bowling in the cold weather venues (bowling??? wtf), free limos, free food, free parking, in fact free almost everything for whoever the league says deserves it. No rock star in history has ever been as big a diva as Goddell and his entourage.

The NFL dips it's beak very deeply into whatever added revenues the host city expects to get out of being the host. I wonder if their ROI is really worth it or if it just a feather to be worn in the cap of the local politicos when they're up for re-election and all at their tax payers expense? Guess I'll find out if Denver ever hosts one.
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    13 NFL teams fans are within driving distance to Chicago.

I'll even throw in Nashville. Thats 14.

Why should it be held in Chicago ? Because youre thinking up reasons why it shouldnt be held in Chicago.

Youve got this second class mentallty in your head that youre not good enough.

AN NFL draft at the Chicago Conventiom Center nationwide ?

Please.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,428 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß
    I don't know who you were addressing your post to jackie but I'm all in favor of them holding it in Chicago and even doing it on a permanent or a semi-permanent basis for several years to see ho well it works out. We may be one of the few cities in the NFL who will never get a Super Bowl so why not?
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I don't have a second class mentality...I'm not from Chicago bubba. I really don't care where it's held. It was held 10 minutes from my door for years and I never went to a single draft even though I would watch the whole thing all weekend. If you think that drivability to your city means anything to the NFL in terms of hosting a draft you're not paying attention. Again...10 minutes from my door....never went.
  11. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +256 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I'm interested in the draft being held someplace besides NYC so it can happen earlier than it did this year. As far as attending the draft, I'm with butkus3595. If it was held in Chicago, I probably wouldn't go.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Yeah, having it so late this year really sucked! And from what I hear Radio City is booked for the next couple of years, so the NFL would have to work around that if it were to stay in NYC.
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Well I was under the assumption that CHICAGO ... BEARS being where it started at ,could use a Draft and fans would show up.

I'm not Butkus and neither is any other fan outside of Butkus. Maybe alot of us would like to go to a Draft.

Because weve never seen it in a town near us before. So if its ten minutes from anybody its not nor has it ever been ten minutes from us.

Maybe we'd like to see it in CHICAGO because of the fans gathering together from Citys in the area of driving.

The NFL Draft is a convention for East Coasters. How about one for the Midwest ? And in the future ...the South ?

In the future beyond that you could have a West Coast Draft. Lets spread it around.
  14. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    The NFL draft should be held in LV, no I don't live there but the draft is a gamble and there is not better place to gamble then LV.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,428 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    594ß

LOL. I could see the sports books thriving on bets about who'd be taken by whom and where.

If I still lived in Chicago I'd love to attend one just to see what it's like although I'm sure that after this first hour or so it would start to get boring. At least at home I can be doing something else while team are on the clock taking their own sweet time like the NFL wants them to do so it increases the drama of the spectacle like they want it to. IMHO carrying it out to three days was ridiculous.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    I'd like the idea of TEAM FANS showing up in one location. We never get to talk to these people.

I'd like to know what they are thinking. The NFL Draft is an NFL FAN convention, its just that nobody outside of the East Coast gets to participate.

How about us ? I'd like to know what a Deeetroit fan is thinking , face to face. Buy em' a beer.

I'd like to meet other fans.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I wasn't aware only East Coasters visit NYC? Let's see...heres some fans from Cleveland:

[​IMG]

In this picture I see Vikings fans, Panthers fans, Packers fans, Rams fans, Redskin fans, Dallas fans, Bears fans,
    [​IMG]
    Here we unfortunately have a Saints fan with some 9ers and Falcons fans in there:

[​IMG]
    You really want these two in your city?
    [​IMG]
    Here's some Bengals and Colts fans enjoying the action:
    [​IMG]
    Dolphins fans:
    [​IMG]
    Kansas City Chiefs:
    [​IMG]
    Raiders and Seahawks fans:
    [​IMG]

Yep...seems like some convention for East Coasters for sure...

Listen...I hope Chicago gets it, and you can go and have a grand old time waiting in line to hope you get a ticket! I'll be sitting on my chair, like I always do...ice cold beer in hand...50 inch high def in front of me enjoying it as well.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  18. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd be all for having the draft in Chicago. Just makes sense to me as far as location and history goes. Weather or not I attend is another story b/c in my 7 years out east I never went to one single draft. Don't even know why I didn't attend. Must have had something better to do at the time.
    :lol 027:
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Just saying the NFL Draft should be spread around. CHICAGO would be fine for starters.

Get to meet fans from other teams. New Orleans would have to be a trip for the south for a Draft!

Why not rotate it so everyone can enjoy ?
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I don't think you get that I don't care where the draft is held. It could be held on Mars for all I care...I'm just combatting your arguments as to it being an "east coast convention".