Why/When did YOU become a Bears fan?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 12, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just thought this might be an interesting topic to BS about, since we are not playing tomorrow. What's the story behind your "Bears fandom?" Did you simply grow up in Chicago? Did you pull for them because you knew someone who once played or worked for them in some capacity? Did you become a Bears fan because they were your dad's favorite team?

I became a Bears fan in the mid 80's when I was in grade school. I grew up in the shadow of Giants Stadium (I literally lived about 15-20 minutes away it), so as you might imagine, I was surrounded by Giants and Jets fans in the mid 80's. I didn't want to simply fall in line with everyone else (kinda my M.O. over the years, much to my detriment, tee-hee!), so I choose another team to pull for after I discovered the spectacular sport of football. I loved the way the mid 80's Bears played defense, I loved Walter and McMahon, and I loved the "GSH" on the uniforms. I always thought that was really cool for some reason, haha. Heck, I even liked Ditka back when I was a kid. Anyway, that is why/when I became a Bears fan.

So why/when did you guys become Bears fans?
  2. hoth

hoth Veteran

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1986 season.
    Nine year old boy hears rumors about some super-human, real-life comic character called "The Refrigerator"........must watch and find out.
    First game assertion : wait a minute......he's not the guy to watch on the team, it's that guy that carries the ball, #34.
    27 years later.........the years I'm the most nostalgic about are '86-'88.......only because I missed '85 (got the whole season on dvd now.....but if you saw it happen, I'm envious).
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +957 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    I became a bear fan four years before birth when we won the '63 championship. lol

Actually, during Payton's rookie season I saw him play a game and that was the end of it all.
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,004 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    Im just here for the ribs and booze.
  5. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    :( thanks for taking my thread seriously, Jimmors...: _ (
  6. tey216

tey216 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm not from Chicago... But I started watching football when I was about 8yrs old... It was the year after the Bears won the super bowl... They had such polarizing figures on that team... Payton, William Perry, Dent, Mike S, Hampton, Gualt... I just became a Bears fan right there and then... Have been one ever since...
  7. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,004 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    225ß
    Lighten up, Francis.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,851 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    103ß
    In our family, it's just a generational thing. Everyone has been a Bears fan for generations. I've been a Bears fan for a bit over 50 years now.
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

that's me middle name....hee hee dougie!
  10. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +493 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    Don't really remember way back when. Was a big blackhawks and cubs fan as a kid. Guess i grew up from the cubs to the bears in the late 70's early 80's after getting disgusted with the cubs after so many years of next years.
  11. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 5 / -20
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    My dad was a Bears fan,and so I always watched the games with him as a boy (beginning late 1950s), but I would say I became an avid fan during the 1963 championship season. Then came the Packers dynasty, but at least we had the great Butkus and Sayers to watch. Then came the Dark Ages -- you young guys missed those years, but you didn't miss much.
    Then, after suffering many years of mediocrity -- the glorious 1985 Bears. What was sad for me was that my dad died in 1983,so he never got to see that team. I hope to see Bears win another Superbowl. I'm in the 4th quarter of life now, but there's still some time on the clock!
  12. JIMMY MAC FAN

JIMMY MAC FAN Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    As far as I know I have been a Bear fan since birth. I cannot ever remember not being a Bear fan.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,244 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    1993. Started getting into football, and "monsters of the midway" sounded awesome as hell to my 9 year old self. Unfortunately, Dave ********** Wanntststredt just took over for Ditka. Honestly, can we erase the history of his tenure? Seriously, WHO THE **** trades for a CONFIRMED BUST at QB, with a first round pick? A ****** idiot, that's who. I'll take Al Groh or Eric Mangini back to the Jets before I'd let him even visit Chicago again.
  14. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +493 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    109ß
    Growing up as a kid watching Walter Payton was enough to make me a bears fans, that and living in Illinois following pretty much every professional team from Illinois except for the White Sox.
  15. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +957 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    I just looked it up. Must have been Payton's second season, in 1976. Week 4 they played the Redskins, which are on every week here. I didn't like the Skins and the Bears killed them that day. I remember it was the first time I had ever heard anyone call Payton Sweetness. Was watching the game with my grandfather and announced that I liked the Bears. He told me that real fans stick with one team no matter what, and that was it. I also remember running around in my front yard with my football pretending to be Payton for the rest of the year.
  16. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yep, I became a Bears fan in 1963. The Bears were the NFL champs that year by beating the Giants 14 to 10. My dad got me going with the Bears also. My dad died in January of 1985 so he never got to see the Super Bowl year either. I remember the dark ages or the lean years. Remember Ricky Watts the speedy wide receiver? He could get separation but he just couldn't catch the ball. I saw Watts with 3 steps on the defender drop a perfectly thrown ball, which by the way didn't happen too often either. We had some bad quarterbacks. Let's see, Jack Concannon, Bobby Douglas and Mike Phipps just to name a few. We always had some pretty decent defensive players though. Speaking of Dick Butkus, I can't remember what year it was but I think the linebackers were Dick Butkus, Doug Buffone and Ross Brupbacher. When the 85 season came, it was like I died and went to heaven. What a change. I'd love to see another Super Bowl year before the clock runs out on me also.
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

that is a great story, Bearstuff. Thanks for sharing. :) Any particular reason why you decided that the Skins WEREN'T going to be your team, in spite of the fact that they were on tv all the time where you lived? Just curious?
  18. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +957 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    I guess I'm a bit of a contrarian. I live a couple of hours south of DC, and everyone was either a Skins fan or a Cowboys fan. I just couldn't buy in. Didn't like their team, their colors, or the attitudes of their fans. And for the Cowboys......never even a consideration.
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    haha, you sound like me, Bearstuff. I grew up surrounded by Giants fans during the hey-day of the Parcells-era Giants teams! There was also a smattering of Jets fans, but I was never interested in either one of those teams.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +444 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    When I was born on da Southside Chickago