Why/When did YOU become a Bears fan?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 12, 2013.

1. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    December 29, 1963, The NFL Championship Game against the NYG. As typical, the Bears defense ruled the day against a powerful NYG offense. We could not watch the game on TV, because someone in the family had just passed away (in those days it was considered inappropriate) so my Dad and I sneaked out to the car and listened to the game on the radio. My dad went nuts when Ritchie Petitbon intercepted a pass in the end zone with 10 sec left to seal the 14-10 victory. That's when I became a Bear fan, and it has been that way ever since.
  2. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    JoeBear, just out of curiosity: was it considered inappropriate to watch tv in the privacy of your own home after a family member died? or were you at a wake or funeral or something?
  3. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Yea, I guess it depended how you felt. I was only 12 so I did not really think it was wrong, but I guess they did not want you celebrating when your loved one just passed away. I know some of the older people did not watch TV for a week or at least until the person was buried. Who knew if they went home and turned on Red Skeleton when no one was looking? Maybe they went home and popped open a bottle bubbly?
  4. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I come from a family of Packer fans. As much as I loved Favre as a kid (I wanted to be an NFL QB like him with that gun slinging arm but I am the clumsiest person ever) I loved Jim McMahon as a kid.

Regarding Favre now everyone compares me to Jim Harbaugh (49ers Head Coach.) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That reminds me of a story.

My mom's mom's sister was having a party introducing her son's mother-in-law and it was on Super Bowl 31. I remember being pissed that it was that day and I refused to go. So my Dad said we'll figure out a way to watch the game.

So my Dad and I when the mother-in-law was coming around introducing herself WALKED OUT and went to watch the game in the resturant LOL! My Mom was FURIOUS!

The mother-in-law NEVER let's me forget it.
  6. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I was about 7 years old I guess. First liked the bengals because of the helmets I think, but for some reason, and I dont even know why, I have been a bears fan for life since 86 or so. I was about 8 then. Its just the team I like and it will never change
  7. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I've been a BEAR since the 1985 season..I know glory hunter..I watch a Da Bears /packers game and saw this big black guy catch a pass in the endzone and his name was The Refrigerator,I was hooked..never looked back.
  8. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I like it!
  9. BorisBear

BorisBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have been a Bears fan since I was 9 years old in 1991. The only sport my dad ever watched was professional football. He had a couple of Bears sweaters and a poster of Jim McMahon which hung in my room. Because of this the NFL has been the only sport I've ever really followed obsessively. I am from Iowa and Chicago was the first major city I ever visited. Naturally I grew to like all of the Chicago teams. I went to my first Bears game in December of 98 when they beat the Ravens. I have had the great fortune of seeing them in person 8 more times since then at both the old and new Soldier Field.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    When I was born on the Northside Chicago