Why you should be optimistic, and if you aren't, you're wrong, thread

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    543ß
    I've already beaten the "schedule" horse to death, and this board has had long enough to convalesce over the loss suffered this Sunday.

So, to kickoff reasons to be an optimistic Bears fan:

Cutler has been "off" for much of this year, as I've argued plenty in the past. His continual defiance of the checkdown pass has been a liability all season, and as a result, tries too many big plays, which has caused a lot of "3 and outs". Unlike last year, though, Jay's having fewer breakdowns where he's throwing off his back foot (remember when that was a problem of his?), and right now, the only glaring flaw in his game is not progressing through his reads quickly enough. He's already shown much overall progress from last year to this year, that a second offseason in this system could make this offense elite in every sense of the word.

The offensive line is the main reason why the running game isn't working, but does anyone think they'll regress drastically, this season or next? All signs point upwards for this team.

Zach ZaidmanVerified account‏@ZachZaidman
    Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall have combined for 1,521 receiving yards, the most among any NFL tandem this season.

These two are so good, that the Bears can just use a third tackle in many of their 2 TE formations. Doesn't mean we don't need a #2 TE, but it shows that WR is the least of our problems.

Bostic hasn't even needed an offseason to nullify the loss of DJ Williams. As good as DJ was at getting to the QB, he was never a long term answer, and even if he were healthy, the way Bostic is playing would certainly not result in him yielding the MLB spot. It remains to be seen if he can keep it up all year, or if he can improve against the pass, but for a rookie, he's doing pretty good (and definitely was the better pick over T'eo).
    • Like Like x 1
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,221ß
    1. This is the best talent I've ever seen at WR on a Bears team. Not just AJ and B.Marsh, but the entire WR roster top to bottom is amazing. We have some young guys who look like they should be really solid in future years.

2. I'm encouraged that Trestman really has lived up to his billing as a solid QB guru. Jay did make strides this year. He's better for having been w/Trestman this year. McCown's development has been amazing. I did not believe he could perform this well, but he has.

3. Kromer is the "real deal" with the OL development. It still is a year(and a center) away from being great, but you can clearly see the guy is amazing at developing outstanding OL's.

I'll stop at those three things to be optimistic about. But there is a lot more "good stuff" going on this season.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Agree
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    In the NFL you must have a very good offense, period. On the offensive side of the ball we are improving just about as quickly as we are falling apart on the defensive side of the ball.

There is still a chance that we could win enough to get to the playoffs, get some players back healthy (Briggs, Cutler, Ratliff) and make a run at the thing (crazy I know).

BUT for the first time in a couple of decades, I think we have enough talent and the right coaches to pull off a Ravens or Giants type SB run.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    321ß
    (I still haven't seen the loss. I'll watch it eventually.)
    We lost a game.
    We lost first place.
    We got more injuries.
    Boo hoo.
    It's entertainment.
    Life goes on.
    I like when somebody sees the positives in a sh1tstrm.
    Thank you for this thread.

I love watching AJ.
    Thank heaven Marshall turned his life around. And that he's mentoring AJ.
    Bostic looks like he's the real deal.
    T-man, even when screwing up, is light years ahead of Lovie Dovie.
    Kromer's good enough he may be lost to an HC position before too long. Hope he stays a while.
    We'll be getting some injured guys back soon.
    Defense seems to be playing better.
    Offense continues to tune up.
    Forte is awesome.
    Kyle Long is the real deal also.
    We may yet make the playoffs THIS year.
    Can't wait to see another awesome draft and FA next year.
    Next year we should be vastly improved over this year.
    A dynasty is on the way, and I'm on board. Of course, my seat's worn out cuz' I've been sitting on this wagon so long.... but hey, I'm a Cubs fan too!

P.S. Go Bears!
    P.P.S. Go Blackhawks!
    P.P.P.S. Life's good! (Joe Walsh???)

Let's Go Bears!
    Let's Go Bears!
    Let's Go Bears!
    Let's Go Bears!...
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,221ß
    One other positive. The offensive line is better right now than I've seen in years. But the incredible thing is that it should be significantly better than this next season. Those two rookies will be incredible next year, with this rookie year of experience to build on. And if we could upgrade the center position, we could end up with one of the better offensive lines in the entire NFL (and with some solid depth too). That's amazing. We will have turned a team weakness into a team strength. Pretty cool.

[​IMG]
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    I don't know about "Significantly," they are significantly better than LAST season. I cant really see them improving at the same rate they improved over last year. Besides, they still need to work on the run game, they seem to be pretty bad at opening up holes for Forte, most of Forte's success has come from bouncing to the outside (and to be fair, when the OL pulls Garza or Kyle to block for him, it works pretty well)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    543ß
    The play we're getting from our rookies is even better than what "total homer" fans would even expect. Long has played better, and more games, for the Chicago Bears, than he has for the Oregon Ducks. Anyone worried how he'll progress to next season? Not only has he NOT wasted a pick this year, but his first 5 picks are absolutely invaluable to the chances this team has to even sniff the playoffs. When's the last time you could say that about even 3 Chicago Bears draft picks? Not to mention his linebackers are already showing off their potential, with several impressive run stops a game.

Sure, you could point to McClellin, Hardin and Rodriguez as draft day disappointments, but is anyone less impressed by Emery's ability to draft defense, than his ability to admit he's wrong VERY quickly? Same with Trestman, because, even though his decision making CLEARLY cost us the game on Sunday, does anyone really think that's going to happen again? You have to give a coach credit, when his offense is somehow borderline elite, when they're still one of the worst in the league at holding onto the damn ball. The progress from last season, even with all the "3 and outs" and turnovers, is just downright amazing.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,697 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,221ß
    I really do believe we'll see a significant improvement by next year. This will include better run blocking too. This year, you can see that the rookies struggle at times, and make mistakes now. They're trying to "figure it out on the fly" right now. And Garza is better than last season, but certainly he struggles run blocking. I think this OL will be pretty awesome next year, especially if they upgrade the center position. I could see this OL being one of the better ones in the NFL next year.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Replacing a Center is not easy, and the protection has been very good this year because both QBs have had a place to step up into when the pressure off the edge and down field coverage made the QB escape the pocket. Plus when the QB can step into the pass because of contain up the middle you know the line is doing something right.

Garza is doing well for a guy with no knees, but he will need to be replaced soon. I just wonder if Kromer thinks that Taylor Boggs is capable? Most team do not carry an EXTRA Center on the 53 man roster, most will have a guard that is listed as G/C.
    • Like Like x 2