Will Long go to T?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 1, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,252 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Last summer I argued that Long was picked way higher than expected in part because he could play any position on the OL except C. His athleticism and body style scream T. And generally Ts are harder to come by and more valuable than Gs. I remain convinced that he will eventually be moved to T in his career when the need arises.

I'm not saying now. As long as Kromer is here, we all know he's a contrarian on this and values the interior more highly than most. And there's no need. I could see Long replacing Bushrod in a couple years though. Quality LTs are definitely hard to come by.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    I think Kromer is leading the charge in valuing guards over tackles because the interior is now where the pressure comes from in today's NFL. There's just not enough time from when the ball comes out of the QB's hands for an end to get there. I've been wanting quality guards for years for this team, and I've felt we have lacked a true LG since the days of Reuben Brown.

We could see Long moved to T after Kromer moves on and Bushrod's play falls off. If Bushrod holds up, it might be awhile before that move happens. I think Long would make one hell of a LG. He moves well in space.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I'm with ya' about Long. He was surprise pick to us but based on what Emery said about why he took him all of it has come to pass. This was his very best pick yet. Let's hope that momentum continues. We need it.
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +166 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    He will be a dominant G for years to come, so why not just draft a LT when the time comes to replace Bushrod? I would rather keep a dominant player where they are dominant, instead of tinkering in the hope that they can be dominant at another. With Slauson and Long, we have two very good young Gs. Let's keep it that way, and maybe in 2-3 years we draft a LT.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +455 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Yep, I agree completely with highlighted. If it ain't broke dont fix it. We get very hung up on pass pro when it comes to Ol play. As a run blocker Long is beyond valuable in his athletic ability to pull, get out in space, and land good blocks on smaller shiftier players. Great on G lead plays that we seem like running he can get up and in the hole and provide a real mismatch for a LB tasked with trying to plug that hole. A ton of our rushing success came from him creating good movement, executing great combo blocks to 2nd level, and pulling to lead thru a hole. Your tackles just dont do that stuff very much and while I understand the temptation to move him to LT, we may be best served to get a high quality guy in the future that can learn for a few years and develop.
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    Just out of curiosity does anyone know what the PFF stats comparing the O linemen picked before Long are compared to him? So my question I guess is was he the best out of that draft class? I really didn't pay much attention to the others during last season.
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    To add to this: It's much easier for a TE to chip a DE than a FB to stop a blitzing linebacker or DT that is going full speed.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Heck do we even have someone to replace him at guard if they did move him.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,636 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    No, not at this point JJ. But that was one of the reasons I asked the question. A really good G is easier to get in the draft than a really good LT. You need to be in the top 10 or maybe even top 5 it seems to get a top flight T. Hopefully, we won;t be drafting that high any time soon, so sliding him to T at some point and drafting a G high (or as high a pick as we have - maybe low 1st round) might be the way we have to go. People don't give up their top LT at the top of their game.
  10. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Before we shuffle the O-line it needs to be figured out who the center of the future is going to be and insert perhaps a bit more depth. Personally, I'd like to see Long stay at G as it's fun to watch him pull on a run block.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And I agree with you. Once Long comes off his rookie deal if he keeps playing like he is and only gets better he's gonna be in line for a much bigger pay day. By then Bushrod is costing more and he'll be 32 years old so a transition to LT seems a natural at some point in time. Beats having to draft another LT because if we do get on a winning streak we'll never draft low enough to get a top two or three OT.

But for now he's right where he needs to be looking into Suh's ugly mug and enjoying going head to head with him twice a year.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Starting Left Tackles don't just grown on trees. You either develop one I.E. Kyle Long moves to Tackle when Bushrod's pay/skills dictate it or you stink bad enough to draft one in the top 5 or top 10. You could also overpay for someone else's via Free Agency but, why would you if you already have strong LT prospect on the roster?

I'd much rather move Kyle Long to LT eventually than for the Bears to stink bad enough to draft one. RG is much more easily replaced than LT.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +166 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    Not every quality starting LT in the NFL is drafted in the top 5. I'm quite sure that Long has the talent to play LT in the NFL, but if he is a perennial pro-bowler at G, do you take the chance on a move? Our HC and OC have already said that they value their guards more that tackles, so maybe that is just the way it will stay.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Two schools of thought here and both seem correct. It's tough to envision him not playing where he's already proven himself to be a dominant player as a rookie and he can only get better over time. Plus having him beside him has also made Mills job a bit easier I imagine. If we keep ending up in playoff contention every year the likelihood that we'll ever get a shot at a top LT isn't gonna exist so if we don't ever move him it will be up to Kromer to develop one out of a lesser pick like he did with Bushrod.

Anyway, that problem is at least 2-3 years down the road. As long as Bushrod stays healthy he's probably got LT locked up. He may not be the best but he seems to be one of the more consistent LTs around and the best we've had for a very long time.
  15. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +166 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    Soul,
    Completely agree.
  16. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    With the current OC and OL coaches I'm sure we will be able to find talent in the middle of the draft that they can develop and develop quickly. Like Mills. Finally we have the luxury of being able to develop offensive talent without just throwing them in halfway through their development.

All of my research o this years draft has been focused on the defensive prospect because of the teams needs. I'm sure that Kromer could get his hands on someone taken the the 5th or 6th round and we would get a quality player in a season or so.
  17. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    They are continually pulling in young developmental oline talent. Last year they brought in the big young guy from Toledo for evaluation (Lindeman). I can't remember if he made the team for a while or not. It looks like they still have the other Long on the team from Wayne state. These are both guys from lesser schools that were at the top of their conferences. It would be great to fill in our future needs with solid players outside of the draft. It may be a long shot, but the benefits are significant (draft picks, salary cap).