WIll Sutton DT. rd 4 or 5 in most mocks

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 1, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    upload_2014-4-1_16-59-6.png +

upload_2014-4-1_17-0-58.png

Sutton could be the steal of the draft. Last yr he put on a lot of weight because everyone told him he was to small for dt when he was in the 280 range. He added 20 to 25 pounds and has been downgraded for gaining the weight so fast and some feel it slowed him down a bit. Could move around on the line to multiple positions. May be a valid DT option later in the draft for us. Many believe we may take 2 DT's in the draft and he may be the 2nd if we do. If we go another direction early in the draft and go ILB or S in rd 1 and somehow miss Quarles in RD 2 he would almost be a shoe in. JMHO
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If Donald is consider to be on the small side then why is Sutton not? If we don't take Donald or Quarles I'd make him the 3rd best 3 tech guy and maybe worth as high as a 3rd pick but this kid has run hot and cold a lot and doesn't have the motor of a guy like Donald. Let' call him a poor man's Aaron Donald but worth a look later on. If we go with a LB and a FS in the first two rounds I could see him in the 3rd if he lasts that long and I think he probably will. I think he has talent but does he have the desire and stamina? To me he'd be a risk to pick too early but if he puts it all together in the pro then yeah, he could be a steel. I know the Bears have looked at him too.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    6'1" potentially 301, every down player, active, only neg is his height? sign me up
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    I do not know how much of a rotation he was in either to keep him a little fresher. May help in a rotation.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    If you aren't down on Sutton, Anthony Johnson is a beast, he needs polishing, but he gets to learn from Ratliff, and this coaching staff, so problem should be solved, he's also 6'3" 300+ lbs:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1824830/anthony-johnson

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES
    STRENGTHS: Johnson' best attribute at this point is his initial quickness. He is frequently the first of LSU's defensive linemen off the ball, and was so even with Mingo and Montgomery still apart of this unit. Johnson's athleticism, power and well-proportioned frame form a unique combination that is sure to intrigue scouts. His burst helps him slip through gaps quickly. He also possesses long arms and the strength to extend and shed blocks in the running game. Light on his feet and a high-effort player in pursuit, Johnson can make plays all over the field.

WEAKNESSES: He is far from a polished product at this point, however, often playing too high and showing little in the way of refined pass rush technique.

--ROB RANG

PLAYER OVERVIEW
    Steps into the leadership role on the defensive line for the Tigers in 2013 ... The most-seasoned player on the defensive front for LSU due to the loss of four players from a year ago ... Goes into 2013 coming off his best spring, one that saw mature as well as learn how to play as an every down player ... Physical player with good speed ... Runs at 4.7 40-yard dash despite weighing 295 pounds ... Good at pressuring the quarterback or plugging a gap against the run ... Has lost 40 pounds since his freshman season when he played at over 330 pounds ... For career, has played in 27 games with three starts ... Has 42 tackles, 13.0 tackles for loss and 4.0 sacks to his credit.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Good option as well in mid to later rounds. He may be able to bulk up and play nose to based on he lost a bunch of weight after Freshman yr.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    Not down w/Johnson or Sutton, check out Ego, 6'3" 315lbs:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737233/ego-ferguson

Ego Ferguson:

STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES
    STRENGTHS: Tall, well-built frame with well-proportioned bulk from head to toe. Flexible body type with natural bend, controlling his momentum well when he stays low with impressive change of direction skills for his size. Long arms and quick hands, using his strong limbs to press and lock out.
    Good vision and awareness, keeping his eyes elevated to locate and track the ball. Quick read/react instincts and not easily fooled. Quick off the snap with the foot quickness to chase and make plays away from the line of scrimmage. Improved block anticipation and instincts, elevating well at the line of scrimmage to knock down passes.
    Holds the point well with his aggressive demeanor, playing with a chip. Good work ethic off the field, adding 40 pounds of good weight since enrolling at LSU.
    Versatile skill-set to be a force vs. the run and the pass and can play any interior defensive line position at the next level - not scheme specific.

WEAKNESSES: Doesn't always explode off the ball. Not slow, but not as quick-twitch as other interior rushers. Uses his arms well to stack, but needs to do a better job swatting and shedding. Doesn't consistently use his hands to disengage, too easily handled by single blockers at times.
    Tends to get too high and needs to keep his pads low to better redirect his momentum. Not fundamentally sound and still developing his upper and lower body mechanics. Needs to continue to develop his counter moves and more effective getting to the QB - only one career sack.
    Needs to play more disciplined and eliminate dumb penalties. Lacks ideal experience and overall production as a one-year starter. Missed the 2013 bowl game due to an undisclosed illness.

--Dane Brugler

PLAYER OVERVIEW
    A highly-recruited four-star defensive tackle, Ferguson chose LSU and redshirted in 2010. He was used as a rotational reserve player as a freshman and sophomore before becoming a starter in 2013 as a junior, setting career-highs with 58 tackles, 3.5 for loss and 1.0 sack.
    Ferguson is an active competitor with versatile size and skill-set to be stout vs. the run, but also showing the athletic traits to be effective getting to the passer - only one career sack is a red flag. He is still very unpolished in many aspects of the game and has much to learn.
    Ferguson has a lot to work with some untapped potential that makes him an intriguing fit on any defensive line with the ability to line up at multiple positions in any formation.

This guy has EVERYTHING that a guy like Emery would be looking for, AND Tucker also, who tends to like bigger DT's.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    What I like about Sutton and Ferguson is their ability to move up and down on the line, and they are bigger guys but not "slow" or unable to rush the passer. Also they are not 1st round grades, even though they have the ability to be day 1 ready.
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    I believe Ferguson is more a NT than a 3 tech. In a pinch I guess he could slide over. Easley is another one but coming off injury. He was a good 3 tech before the injury, little more risk but may be worth the reward.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    Ferguson might be more NT, but it's not like Paea can be penciled in as a starter anymore, it actually might be the perfect move. Ferguson in the 3rd or 4th, can play NT, when Ratty comes out slides to DT, and at times can also play DE, and the team does plan on running SOME 3-4, so he might well be able to handle the 0 tech.

This is my call if Emery really wants a versatile OL, the more I think about Ego the more I like him on the Bears DL that wants to be able to have guys that can move up and down the line.

I don't have an issue w/Easly either, but I don't like my fat boys coming pre injured.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah I see that too. If Sutton is the poor man's Donald then Ferguson is the poor man's Jernigan. There are guys in this draft who can play and create depth but I want a guy at DT who can create havoc the way guys like Tommie Harris did, or John Randle, or Gerald McCoy and Geno Adkins today. To me Sutton only comes into play if we whiff on Donald. If we drafted both we may be ignoring another need but assuming we got our FS and our CB in two and three I'd prefer him to a TE in four. The only question then is who goes? Collins or Izzy? I don't see how there's room for both and Donald and Sutton and Collins and Izzy. Might eventually be a great 3 tech rotation though. Two black bowling ball DTs.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    there is no tommie harris in this draft.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Gonna bump this one up again. If Emery does decide on a FS at #14 I'd say it makes a pick of Sutton later on is more likely if he's still on the board where they'd be comfortable with the risk involved. I truly believe his NFL career could go one way or the other depending on how well he controls his weight and how well he's motivated. Those are the two things that concern me most about him. Going into last season he was seen as a potential 1st round pick or early 2nd and yet he didn't live up to expectations, fell back, and cost himself a lot of $$$. So does that motivate him to make up for it or is it a sign that he's terminally lazy?

DT
    Will Sutton
    Arizona State Pac-12
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade
    Combine Results
    Grade
    5.55?
    • 5.36 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 24 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 28.5 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 99.0 INCH
      Top Performer
    • 7.93 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.82 SEC
      Top Performer
    Draft Analysis:
    • 6'0" Height
    • 31 1/4" Arm Length
    • 303LBS. Weight
    • 10" Hands
    Overview
    Sutton is a two-time first-team AP All-American (2012-13), two-time Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year (2012-13) and two-time first-team All-Pac-12 selection (2012-13). Father, Mickey, played defensive back and punt returner for the Los Angeles Rams (1986-88), Green Bay Packers (1989), Buffalo Bills (1989) and Rams (1990).

Analysis

Strengths
    Very good athlete. Good body control and balance. Feels blocking pressure and finds the ball quickly. Effective spin move. Shoots gaps and makes plays behind the line. Flattens down the line and can range to the sideline. Strong tackler and athletic enough to string down backs in space. Outstanding career sack production (20.5) from the interior.

Weaknesses
    Short. Questionable competitiveness and desire -- motor runs hot and cold. Will disappear for stretches. Has some underachiever traits and work ethic has a lot of area for improvement. Average strength at the point of attack. Can be turned and rooted out of the hole by the double team. Can improve hand use and develop more of a pass-rush arsenal.

Draft Projection
    Rounds 2-3

Bottom Line
    Bulked up and added a lot of bad weight as a senior, negating his initial burst and diminishing his production, yet still showed good quickness off the ball. Played at a more natural weight and was noticeably a step quicker in 2012. Fits best as an under tackle in an even front and would be best playing close to 290 pounds.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +761 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    I read somewhere everyone thought he was to small for NFL so he bulked up and apparently to fast.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    thats a boon for the bears if they were to get him though b/c an nfl strength and conditioning guy will get you into shape but quick.