Willie Young Holds No Lions Grudge.................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 10, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    Bears' Willie Young has no ill will after split with Lions

June 10, 2014, 9:45 am

[​IMG]

CSN Staff

New Bears defensive end Willie Young was feeling nostalgic as he returned to Detroit over the weekend to participate in a charity softball game hosted by a few of his former Lions teammates. The 28-year-old spent the first four seasons of his career in Detroit and eventually worked his way up the depth chart to become a starter after being selected in the seventh round of the 2010 NFL Draft.

"We definitely broke ways on good terms," Young told Justin Rogers of MLive.com. "I definitely enjoyed my years here. I can say that. I'm thankful for the opportunity I was able to create here that landed me in Chicago."

Young figures to be a big part of the Bears defensive line rotation in 2014, along with fellow newcomers Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston. In 2013, Young started 15 games, collecting 47 tackles, three sacks and five pass deflections. While playing the Lions twice per year is a nice bonus to staying in the NFC North, his first game back in the Motor City could be extra special because it's the annual Thanksgiving Day Classic.

"Obviously it's a divisional move for me, but at the same time ...it's a little more than another game. I can't say it's just another game, playing against guys that I practiced against for so many years."
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    That's fine Willie just go to your angry place when we play them though. Beating your former team will make the turkey taste even better on Thanksgiving.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I hope he has a long career with the bears.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +513 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    335ß
    What a difference a year makes. Last year he would have been the starter for the Bears. This year a key rotational guy.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,484 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß

Just goes to show how much we've improved the depth at DE this year. The funny thing is that Young actually ranked ahead of Allen as far in the top 50 NFL DEs because they felt he was a better at playing the run. He was 9th or 10th, Houston was 5th or 6th and Allen was about 16th as I recall. If it plays out that way then we stole him from Detoilet.

Anyway we added four DEs who are all very good players. Even Izzy made the top 50 with as little as he played last year and despite the competition for those last one or two spots I still have a feeling he'll make the cut because of his experiences and his versatility. He can add some leadership and may also still be of value on STeams.