With hip in 'great shape,' Marshall ready to roll

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Papa_Bear_7, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...-to-roll/1b0910f6-2c06-4b09-82f5-5d028eb29383

With hip in 'great shape,' Marshall ready to roll
    Posted 29 minutes ago

By Larry Mayer

WE'RE SORRY, BUT THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE.
    WATCH MORE VIDEOS

VIDEO LOADING

Back with the Bears Monday after a four-day excused absence, Brandon Marshall acknowledged that he went for a checkup on his surgically-repaired hip and that it's in "amazing shape."
    "Structurally, my hip is great," the Pro Bowl receiver said after practicing without restrictions. "My hip's in great shape. It's going on eight months out and I'm ready to roll."
    [​IMG]
    Receiver Brandon Marshall has been voted to four Pro Bowls in seven NFL seasons.
    After shattering Bears receiving records with 118 catches and 1,508 yards in his first season with the team last year, Marshall underwent arthroscopic hip surgery in January for the third time during his NFL career. He was unable to practice until early June, but deemed himself 100 percent when he returned.
    Marshall sat out the preseason opener and struggled two weeks later against the Raiders, dropping three passes without recording a reception. Last Tuesday he told reporters that he wasn't where he wanted to be in terms of his conditioning and was uncertain about his role in the Bears offense.
    "I was a little frustrated and I'm going to be frustrated," Marshall said Monday. "I think that's just human nature. There's going to be some ups and downs this season, but we've got to stay productive and efficient and effective in the way we act. I'm just excited to be here.
    "It's tough playing at a high level. When you have a surgery, sometimes you get frustrated getting back to that level. We have a lot of amazing things going on here on and off the field, and I want to be a part of it. At times it can be [frustrating], but we made it to Week 1 and that's a positive thing."
    If Marshall's hip is bothering him, it hasn't been evident to Marc Trestman. But the Bears coach will monitor the situation as Sunday's regular-season opener against the Bengals approaches.
    "I don't see that in practice because he's working hard and he's running at full speed and maybe working through it in his mind," Trestman said. "So we have to communicate. We have to make sure we're not going to do anything to hurt him. We're not trying to do that. We want to make sure he's able to go at full speed every play he can be in there for. I just don't see it in practice at the present time."
    Last Tuesday Marshall said that he felt "rushed a little bit" to rebound from his surgery, but on Monday the eight-year NFL veteran denied that the Bears were pushing him too hard.
    "Coach Trestman has been great," Marshall said. "[General manager] Phil Emery has been great. We've sat down plenty of times talking about what we need to do to get to this week. So they've been really helpful. But now it's go time."
    Just six days away from season opener, it doesn't sound like Emery is concerned about the 6-4, 230-pounder.
    "He's going to get mad at me for saying this because I have been telling him this all summer: I see a guy that is better than he was last year," Emery said. "I see a guy that is more dynamic. I see a guy better in and out of his breaks. I see a stronger player.
    "When you stand up behind Brandon Marshall, you realize how big that man is at the position that he plays. He's at an elite level for his position in terms of size, dynamic ability and production. I don't see any back off. Actually, I see a better player.
    "Obviously he was a little frustrated about where he is at and he's definitely shared that with me. Those are conversations that we've had, and that's just an athlete wanting to be elite, wanting to be the best at his game. His goal is to be the best wide receiver in the NFL on the best team. I've got no problem with those goals. I've got no problems talking to him about those goals."
    • Like Like x 2
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    All I ask is that they keep him fresh at garbage times and that they don't go to the well too often with Bmarsh. If Jay can spread the ball around more he should get his conditioning back as the season progresses.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    what is your definition of "garbage time"
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    Good post, PapaBear. Glad to see Marshall is back and is looking forward to starting the season.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    You know, when the Bears are up by 30 points and we put our third stringers in to finish the job.
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    So.... waiting til the Bears are up by 30? Then there is no garbage time.

I get what you are saying, but garbage time is different to everyone in football. Up two scores with 5 min to go? Sure, but the NFL history is filled with two scores evaporating in less than 5 min.

When do you think Garbage time begins. When would you put the third stringers in?
  7. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    You really like to over analyze things don't you? lol
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    yup. A lot of people talk about garbage time, but no one can ever agree when that actually is :D
  9. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Well, you've already completed the first step to recovery. ;)

Yeah, garbage time is tough to nail down. One game the coaches might feel good with that two score lead with five minutes to go. The next game that same cushion might not seem so comforting.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Well put it this way, if you CAN'T determine what garbage time is then you risk your starters as well as your season.
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    When do you determine garbage time to be?
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,692 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    Thanks for the read PB. Last week every sportswriter in Chicago, on ESPN, and anyone else who follows the team were all clucking and shaking their collective heads worrying about Marshall, his hip, was he being a diva, would the Bears do OK without him, etc., and anything else they could find to fill column space but now, according to Larry Mayer, it's all good.

Seems to me someone should get there facts straight. :rolleyes:
  13. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +149 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    Garbage time is on Friday morning, when the garbage truck comes and takes all of my beer bottles away, so I can begin filling the cans again. You have been informed.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    The question is not what I nor you define it as is rather what Trestman and co. decide it to be. I honestly don't think that they would need their statistical analysis guy to determine an unwinable or high improbability of a "miracle win" to rest one of their top players who is coming off an injury. The team can still play for a miracle comeback but at the same time exercising common sense in conserving a player either injured or coming off an injury.
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,700 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    468ß
    The problem with that though, is Trestman is an offensive minded coach. We have not had one of those in ages.... At least not a smart one.

A good offensive coach always believes that the right play being called and executed properly can shatter any defense. Down 2 or 3 scores in the 4th may still seem in reach for him. It would all come down to ego.

Likewise with his team up 2-3 scores in the 4th. Will he think like an offensive coach with the mindset that a great play properly executed can break any defense, so will he keep trying to add on?

Time will tell.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,172 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß

To quote the immortal 99 "Those are good points". And to paraphrase the gambler Kenny Rogers you gotta know when to hold and fold 'em. Don't go to such lengths of a comeback that you risk an inured player and it becomes a pyrric victory.

I guess we shall see brotha. I'm just hoping for a smart played season and some much better offensive production.