With the defense needing a rebuild, do you think we can draft a QB, or is that a luxury now?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 23, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,805 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    The defense is clearly needed more than just a defensive line. We also have some aging players, and also players who are not very good (our safeties stink).

In light of this, is the idea of drafting a young QB just a pipe dream?
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    It may be a pipe dream. Unless PE hits a few more home runs in FA next year, I just don't see our future QB in the upcoming draft. We have way too many needs on D right now.

Peppers - gone
    Melton - gone
    Conte - DEAD
    Wright - DEAD
    Tillman - old
    Briggs - old
    Garza - old
    Jennings - ?
    Collins - ?
    Shea - ?

(Catch the Animal House reference in that?)

That's at least 10 positions we need to address. What do we have, 5 picks? Or is it 6? Either way, not enough. Don't forget, half the team is on a 1-year or the last year of a contract.

I'm glad I'm not Phil next spring.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I will answer this question after I see Josh play against a few teams.
    If Josh can come out and play well, then I must assume that Trestman is a real QB whisper. He just might be able to find a kid with physical talent from the mid to late rounds and make him into the future.

But there is no way they should take a QB in the 1st round next year. Too many players need to be replaced. I see Jay being franchised.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree. Wisest move would be to franchise Jay and just focus on the DEFENSE all off-season. Then hopefully, by next year, Emery will have for maneuverability in the draft.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,155 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Reworked but that's what I think can happen. In FA add in a DE and/or a SS/FS then you have a conjecture draft of:

1-DT
    2-CB
    3-QB
    4-OL
    5-TE
    6-DB
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    152ß
    yes you still draft a qb, end of discussion. The team will/can fill a lot of holes via FA.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +983 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I would draft a QB yes, but not before the 4th.
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,610 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    224ß
    Yes.

Bears cannot afford to give Cutler a long term deal if he cannot stay healthy..... Giving him the franchise tag would hurt the cap....

Bears may be screwed for a year or so if they don't bring back Cutty
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,805 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Maybe this is crazy thinking on my part :-)

But, I keep wondering what we have in Matt Blanchard. I'd give about anything to know what Trestman REALLY thinks about his potential. If Trestman sincerely does believe in him, then it's a moot point regarding the draft. I also wonder if there is a young QB with potential on another team's practice squad that Trestman might think is a solid prospect. If Blanchard isn't the guy, then maybe this avenue would be one to take - but only if Trestman truly believed the guy was worth developing, and Blanchard wasn't as good.

Either of these scenarios would allow us to go all-out defense in the draft, and still have a solid young QB learning from Trestman.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I forgot about Blanchard, but are you thinking for next year Blanchard as the starting QB? I'm not opposed to it at all just wondering if you think that we simply cut ties with Jay and let him walk?

I really think it depends upon how Josh performs. Because if McCown does well, then that is enough proof for me to think that he is truly capabile of developing a QB and I would be willing to make that leap.
  11. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Don't forget Jordan Palmer. He's back and we all thought he looked good in the preseason.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would think that if Trestman thought enough of Blanchard that he would at least have him on the practice squad to closely groom him. I think if they cut ties with Jay, they will be bringing in a new prospect. I think moving forward with any of the guys we've recently or currently had behind Cutler, as the primary QB option for this team would be foolish.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,805 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I wasn't thinking of him being a starter. I was just wondered if he might be seen by Trestman as a young guy worth developing. I'm not saying he is, but just saying I'm curious what Trestman REALLY thinks about the guy. Here's a dream. Wouldn't it be cool to just be able to have a beer with TrestmanI 1-on-1 and just ask him some of this stuff? You know, what he REALLY thinks about some of these guys?

FWIW, I don't see us drafting an immediate starter QB in next year's draft anyway.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,805 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    We just seem to be "between a rock and a hard place" here. I really don't think they'll draft a QB in the top few rounds of the draft. I just don't see that happening now that the defense is reduced to a pile of crap. So, I just wonder if a later round "prospect" QB would be any better than the other options (Blanchard, stealing from another practice squad, Palmer, etc). It just looks like we don't have many draft options in 2014, considering we're on a crisis-footing on defense now.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    152ß
    Didn't think we could do anything w/Blanchard until week 9 or 10 b/c we IR'd him. I know he had a tryout w/another team a week or 2 ago. If he's still out there and week 10 or so he ends up on the PS you'll know how they feel about him.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    From what i remember hearing on 670 the score they said after this year (not including Peppers contract) but we would be around 42 million in cap space after next season. If we lose Peppers thats another 18 million (unless we have to eat it to get rid of him)

But honestly i think we need to look into the second round unless we are for sure on Cutler, we do however need a solid backup regardless
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +983 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I don't have the figures in front of me so correct me if I'm wrong, but I think cutting Pep next year nets about $8-10 million extra to the cap after deducting the dead cap cost.
  18. butka

butka Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You're right Ricza, I forgot about his IR situation.
  19. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    can i be honest with u guys? im 100% positive we will draft a qb! half of our D problems will be 'settled' prior to draft, via FA, remember Bushrod & Slauson?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,413 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    152ß
    Regarding this, according to ESPN, from Moon Mullins:

BE: Defenders to compete for jobs soon?
    October, 23, 2013
    8:00 AM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

Here are a few Bears Essentials to get you going this morning.

-- CSNChicago.com’s John “Moon” Mullin expects some players on defense to be competing for their jobs when the Bears return next week to Halas Hall to begin preparations for the Green Bay Packers.

-- ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson puts together his weekly Stock Watch here, and obviously backup quarterback Josh McCown is on the rise.

Here's what Dickerson writes about McCown: "Losing Jay Cutler for a minimum of four weeks because of a torn groin muscle is a tough pill to swallow, but McCown at least gives the Bears a chance on offense. McCown gave the Bears all they could ask for against the Washington Redskins with completing 14-of-20 passes for 204 yards and one touchdown. Can he do it again? That remains to be seen. But McCown is an intelligent player with 33 career NFL starts under his belt. We should all know by now that starting experience is a big factor when it comes to a No. 2 quarterback. McCown can still throw the ball reasonably well and has plenty of skill-position talent, plus a decent offensive line surrounding him. To steal a phrase from ex-Bears general manager Jerry Angelo: The Bears aren't likely to fall off the cliff with McCown at quarterback."

-- The injury to Cutler won’t scare the Bears into carrying more than two quarterbacks on the active roster, writes Rich Campbell of the Chicago Tribune

-- Rick Morrissey of the Chicago Sun-Times isn’t buying the positive vibes being tossed around at Halas Hall in the midst of the team losing its third game in four outings while Cutler and linebacker Lance Briggs are each expected to miss at least a month.