With the defense needing a rebuild, do you think we can draft a QB, or is that a luxury now?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 23, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    Bass does look better.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Bass was a rookie 6th-7th rounder (I think) that Oakland was high on for the future after TC/PS. They tried to sneak him onto the PS and we scooped him up. I recall reading that Emery had his eye on him for the late draft and then got him via he back door. In the limited time he's been in there, he's looked pretty good IMO. Way better than Shea. I hope Tucker plays him more. Maybe we have a good young depth player for the future there.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Glad you two are talkiing about this, it's one of the stories I don't think enough people are really looking at b/c of the Briggs/Cutler inj.
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I have been hoping and screaming that they would do whatever could be done to get Shea off the field on anything but third and long. He's been killing us vs the run on 1st and 2nd (not the only D problem but yes a very big one). For instance, move Cohen/Minter into DT if possible so Wooton could go back outside. OR...play Bass/Corny more. It finally started to happen a little in the skins game. This is the kind of stuff that I have been pissed at Tucker for. As bad as this D is, it's almost impossible to get off the field if you're giving up big chunks on the ground before you get to 3rd down. And Shea has been basically a 3 down player for weeks now until very recently...bingo.

It's not much but our "best 4" right now probably is:

Bass -- Wooton -- Paea -- Peppers
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    As Tucker are you NOT going to play the GM's 1st, 1st round pick? Emery has to see that his guy's a bust. Something else that got pointed out in that article that I forgot to mention....did anyone else see the part where it says the Bears KNEW that Shea COULD be a liablitity in the run game when they drafted him?!?!? If that's the case then Emery needs to be held accountable b/c he called him a 3down back after the draft, and is still defending his play on the field.

The GM is not convinced that his most contraversial pick is a bust, that's a real problem for the coaches and players. That Bass, a guy off a PS is playing him, even near even, is embarassing.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I noticed that in the article too, Ric. And if true that is a pretty damning indictment of Emery (whom otherwise I give a lot of credit to so far). I hope Phil isn't a mirror image of JA by being a GM that can build an offense but is clueless about drafting proper defensive talent. Between Shea and Hardin, he got off to bad start on that side of the ball draft-wise. Hopefully he turned that around with Bostic.

So far, and I know it's way early to know for sure, Emery has had one terrible draft (Alshon being the only bright spot) and one that looks really good. Everybody and his brother knows that Shea is a bust as a DE, so Emery better just fess up and admit it too. After the debacle we are seeing on defense this season, all eyes are going to be on the GM this coming spring to see how well or poorly he handles it. He needs to nail FA (where's he's been stellar) and put together a very solid draft. He's had his get-out-of-jail-free mulligan 1st round shank shot into the woods. He needs to rip the next one 280 yards down the middle of the fairway.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1