Would it be sooo bad, if the wheels completely fall off the wagon at this point?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 21, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    We KNOW we aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year. We KNOW that this defense (aside from the LBs) requires a WHOLESALE REBUILD via the draft. We flat-out need to get younger and better on that side of the ball. Sooooo, now that Cutler is out and we realize that this season is going nowhere fast, wouldn't it be better to get as high of 1st round draft choice as possible? We need MULTIPLE playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. Pass-rushing savants are at a premium in this league, so would it be so bad if we went 5-11 or 6-10, as opposed to 8-8 or 9-7? Emery needs to stock up on as many draft pics as possible and get to work rebuilding this defense. Going 8-8 is only going to serve as a hindrance to finding a defensive playmaker in the first round.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I prefer that not to happen, honestly. The more fight a team puts up, the more you have to build off of, for next year. Plus, I think everyone trusts Emery to not repeat his mistakes, as he did with two of his first three draft picks.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    I'll take a 10 win season over a 6 win season, but I'll take a 4 win season over an 8 win season.

In the NFL you want to be either REALLY good, or REALLY bad, 7-9 win's is like NFL hell.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We could draft a top QB.
  5. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    This is especially true now that there's a rookie cap in place. You won't get bent over by paying a top pick an outrageous contract.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß

Ricza, MY POINT EXACTLY!! well-said......
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    If a team gets a losing stench, it can be a cancerous attitude caught by the team. You want the team to play balls-out football, and win every game they can. Also, higher draft picks are great, but many great teams have been built without a bunch of high 1st rounders, while other teams (Detroit is the poster boy here) have lost year after year with a roster full of high round picks.

Emery will get this done. Fans need to chill a bit and give him the time to do this. We all (me included) want instant gratification, but it doesn't happen like that very often in the NFL. I'm looking forward to Emery having another GREAT off-season building up the team through a combination of the draft and free agency.

I don't want us to have a Detroit type finish to our season. Let's hope the team does its best, learns how to win under adversity, and then let's build on that next year when we have better players..
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Wheels, if not off, are quickly coming off. Briggs is out 4-6 weeks w/a shoulder injury.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I saw that. Bad news indeed. Maybe it will be an opportunity to see his eventual replacement work (Green). I get it that we take a devastating blow here, but I'm curious to see how Green develops as he gets more game reps. He looks like he could ultimately be good (yes, he'll make some bone head plays in the meantime).
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    758ß
    Well, the good thing about Emery, is that he seems adept at finding solid players, regardless of where he is drafting. Sure, it would be nice to have a very high pick in the draft, but even a 20 pick or so isnt the end of the world (see: Long, Bostic, AJ, Mills)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    I just wish we could trade Shea McClellin to the Pats for Chandler Jones, straight up. :(
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Yeah, and the guy the Patriots drafted could've been had after McClellan.
  13. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    hahaha BEAT YA TO IT, Henry!!! :shoot2:
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    +1

Emery did wonders for our offense this off-season. More than I thought was possible in one year. I suspect he'll do very well restocking the defense this coming off-season......a nice mix of draftees and FA's, like he did for the offense.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    i dont want us tanking a single game, i dont get that mentality maybe, maybe, maybe... maybe nothing - win or lose now.

remember shea was our top pick! also, in this draft if we had pick 5. i would be glad to get long!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +277 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    285ß
    It's obvious Shea doesn't have the size to be a sack machine as a DE . Maybe it's time to switch him to LB and see what he could do there . Free him up and give him some space to run around and make plays . I think he'd be a great LB .
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Well seeing as Bass was playing better then him at DE, if they can get DT set up so that Wootton is back to starting DE, then maybe w/the inj to Briggs now is the time for Shea to be a rover DE/LB guy. Just not sure that move is possible in season, even w/a bye week.
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +736 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    In response to the OP, it is my opinion that we are in a bit of a unique situation that isn't all bad. Obviously, if we're going to be honest with ourselves, our season is effectively over, but I was beginning to wonder if we were not yet as good as we thought we were anyway, so there could be a silver lining. Before I say anything more, I DO NOT believe in intentionally tanking a season to get higher draft picks. Our coaches HAVE to put together game plans that give our players the best chance to win and our players need to give it everything to win. Now, if we do not win, so be it, I'm not expecting much at this point anyway, and it gives young guys the opportunity to experience the NFL earlier than expected and prepare them for next year.

Now, to my main point:
    There are usually two types of teams that are in the front end of the draft; one is the obviously bad teams that just can't win because of coaching, scheme, poor drafting, etc., the other are the occasional teams that are average to good, but find themselves high in the draft due to injuries. The latter are the teams in the divers seat of their respective drafts because they will likely be getting their injured players back the following year, but they still get draft picks that are higher than they typically would get because of the talent level that already exists on the team. We obviously do not know what is going to happen to Cutler, and Melton, but one thing is for sure, if you would take Melton, Cutler and Peppers out of the equation, we now have a BUTT LOAD of cap space and higher picks.

There are simply a lot of options, and if we are not going to the playoffs anyway, it's not a bad position to be in for the future as long as Emery is better at building a roster than Angelo.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I have a feeling that the losses will take care of themselves, the Defense is beyond repair at this point and getting the Rookies actual playing time is a big advantage.

If towards the end of the year we are eliminated from the playoffs early, normally I would say let the rookies play and Yes get a better drafting position. But the reality is that just about every rookie we have is being forced into action already, so try to win every game you can, because this year can be a building block towards next year.

Yes our season is over, but play to win, and if we sneek into the play offs, that just means that the players that remain on the team will now have playoff experience, and that is also huge.

Also I trust Emery a lot more than JA to actually find talent that can start and help us.
  20. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    On the bright side a lot of young players are going to get experience real fast. Nobody wants to see their team get hit by the injury bug but it can be a good thing for future years. You find out who can play and who can't. Those who can play get experienced fast plus you are not wasting time and money on those who can't play.
    • Winner Winner x 1