Would you rather see the Bears more like the Denver, or Seattle?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 20, 2014.

?

Would you rather see the Bears more like the Denver, or Seattle?

1. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 10 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    178ß
    Smashmouth football doesn't equal being a classless jerk...if Sherman is the model some of you want, no fucking thanks...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +847 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    768ß
    I want my Bears to play like the team that won the Super Bowl in 1985. ;)
    • Like Like x 4
  3. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    But adjusted for inflation ;) Even the fridge is considered small by today's standards. I also would like to see more Sweetness style play. His spins, hurdles, stiffarms were a thing of legends. You don't see play like that anymore.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,992 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,009ß
    b/c of the cap, and inflation teams like the 85 Bears-the early 00's Cowboys will never be seen again.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    I picked Denver and did not even have to think twice. Before Lovie got canned I was arguing with my nephews over how bad I wanted an offense that could win games in the final quarter rather than a Defense trying to hang on. Since the 70's the Bears have always been that great Defense trying to hold on, and we have one Super Bowl in 85 to show for all them great Defenses. It feels like since the 85 Bears we lost many games in the final minutes. From Joe Montana, to Steve Young, to Barry Sanders, to ...... Aaron Rodgers. I want a chance to win, not a chance to lose, and history shows you win with an offense. Thus I want an awesome offense and average Defense.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,389 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    I think you just need to find that "sweet spot" balance between D and O, where one can be more dominant than the other - but it isn't a situation where one unit is absolute garbage like our D is now. If either unit is pure garbage, then you're screwed. Lovie had garbage for offense. Trestman had garbage for defense. Surely there's a "sweet spot" in the middle that we can attain and win championships again. It just seems like forever since we've won a Super Bowl here.
  7. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Broncos.

I never want to be like a team that is coached by stupid Carroll with the most flags being thrown at by the refs. Their secondary holds on EVERY snap, every play.
  8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +685 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    823ß
    I said Seattle. Good defense stops good offense. Watch the Super Bowl (sticking my neck out here!!).
    • Like Like x 2
  9. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    See, that's what I'm talkin' about!

Defences win Championships. never been truer! People can give you all this nonsense about it being a passing game and offence-first game but Seattle turned that on its head today.

That Seattle display was the best defensive display in the big one since our very own '85 Bears! We're the Bears, we want a Bears-worthy defence! Sheman and co. proved themselves time and time again. History is written by the victors and their smack talk is fair play when they back it up with a beatdown against the best regular season offence we've seen! (sherm has proved he is a class act off the field too!)

dont like the trash talk, the swagger and the aggression? go play with your dolls, leave the big boy stuff to the men.

Well done Seattle, I'd choose their D over Manning & his O. Any day of the week and twice on any given (superbowl) sunday!
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    when i think about it - Seattle ;)
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,992 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,009ß
    No offense, it was better then the 85 Bears. That D was disgusting and took down a team that had only punted 1 x in the playoffs and had only turned the ball over 1 time(I believe is what I heard). Nothing about the 85 Pats team screamed historically dominant O w/top 5 historically great qb. That being said it's becoming more of an exception then a rule b/c of how the rules are. But I think what it did show is that Carroll, much like Bellecheck is a near genius when it comes to getting valuable talent throughout the draft and into UDFA and finding roles for them, even if they aren't full time starters. A reocurring theme w/the announcers was how the team was "riddled" w/late picks and ufda's; he also was one of the first to figure out that you need big physical cb's instead of smaller faster ones to play in a league that doesn't allow a ton of contact. Carroll and his DC are just ahead of the NFL in scheme.

They also took advantage of a deep qb draft and hit a goldmine b/c it allowed them a cheap quality starting qb which gave them the ability to b/c special in every other area. Also, and before you slam Wilson to much, he has a fraction of the talent the Bears O has had. If Cutler was saddled w/two decent but not great wr's, and a strong run game his weaknesses would show through(holding onto the ball to long and throwing bad picks) and be forgiven b/c the talent around him wasn't good enough. Wilson didn't have to do a lot, but he made plays to keep drives alive, while protecting the ball(like Flacco last year in the playoffs) and got his team a SB championship in his 2nd year. SF was another team that is built this way, and ran into a only slightly more complete team in Balt the same year, that was built the same way. Young cheap qb, complete everything else. The Bears followed an out of date method that has yet to work for the other teams that have done it, way overpaid for average qb talent, like Dal, Atl, SD, and Balt(this year not last year), and it could well cost them in their ability to build a complete team and compete for championships.
  12. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß

Vote: Seattle

Reason why: 43-8.
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    History dictates that defense wins championships.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,389 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    That's the bottom line. A great offense is nice. A great defense > great offense.

I wrote this in another thread, but it is also appropriate for this one.

Six times the #1 NFL offense has played the #1 defense in the Super Bowl. The team with the best defense has won all but 1 of those matchups. In fact, of the top 10 NFL offenses that ever that played - only one actually won the Super Bowl - 9 of them LOST in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl itself.

Denver was the best scoring offense in NFL history - almost 100 years of football history - and they got stomped like roadkill by a stellar defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Yep, this was also confirmed when I looked up the stats on Wikepedia (SP). Anyone who thinks otherwise is not dealing in reality. I'm hoping Emery can do for the "D" this year what he did for the "O" last year.
    ;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I'd rather see us being DA BEARS that every team wants to copy because of our greatness
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,389 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    808ß
    Right now Da Bears can't even win their division - or get a whiff of the playoffs. Even the lowly Detroit Lions swept us.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    So explain Green Bays Super Bowls with Rodgers and Favre, top paid QB's. And then try explaining Brady, didnt look it up but I believe he is tied for the most Superbowl wins.

Each year is different, the 49ers won a bunch in the 80's beating the beloved all but once and we were really the only team equall to them. They had the new Bill Walsh version of the west coast offense and we had the 46 Defense. Baltimore, New England, and now Seattle run more of this Hybrid Defensee. I think the league is still figuring it out and Peyton looked very confused not knowing what was coming. I am putting my vote towards the scheme, we have a great offensive minded coach and need to match it on Defense, new schemes that hold the cards close to the vest have a hands up.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,992 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,009ß
    Give up on Farve or anything before 2005, that era of the NFL is over you cannot play like Farve did and win in this new NFL. Today's qb has to move the chains, keep the ball safe(no turn overs) and the O, by any means needs to put points on the board, not just via the pass.

Rodgers is w/the Brady/Manning in a truly elite group that can be paid like that and still win, teir 1 elite QB's that make the players around them better, but it's becoming more rare that qb's w/that much money wrapped up in a teams cap win sb's; and guys like Cutler(Rivers/Ryan/Romo/Flacco/Stafford) that cannot do what those guys do don't even make regular playoff runs; remember flacco's big contract was after his SB win.

You are starting to see a trend now where College qb's are more NFL system ready then ever, and the NFL rules have also made the qb position easier then ever, now a team needs to have a a really good D that can keep the team close and have an OL that can keep a young high potential kid clean w/enough weapons to let him make a few plays; the primary thing the qb has to do is keep the ball protected and move the chains. That's what Wilson does, it's what Kaep and Flacco did last yea; flacco more in the playoffs. That is the new NFL, and it will become more and more apparent as younger cheaper qb's w/more complete teams go to the playoffs and make deeper runs then their more experienced more expensive, and more average qb's do(not your teir 1 qb's mind you, Brees/Brady/PManning/Rodgers) are the exception.
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +755 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    744ß
    With all due respect Ric I disagree. Normally i agree with you but....
    I believe its a cycle like many that came before. Being a truely great QB did not help Peyton. I do agree Qb's are more ready, but last yr San Francisco ran the option with Kolenick and nobly ody appreciated his speed until it was to late. Yes he has a decent arm as well, but much improved this year. Flacco did not have to do much, Ravens had a great Defense.

I still believe it is more scheme with solid players and coaches. When teams are not familiar with your scheme and you execute it well, the opposing team can study on tape but new wrinkles and the speed generally catches them off guard. Obviously if you can have a young stud QB on his rookie deal it helps getting the supporting players, but there is no way the time for a great QB has passed because they priced themselves to high. Most of the top QB's have actually reduced there pay recently to allow for a stronger team around them. You can only spend so much in a lifetime.

With respect to Cutler, we all know we have flexibility in his contract to allow us to get stronger around him. Its up to the brain trust to make it happen.