Yay or Nay on Clausen as backup

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by sph34, Jul 25, 2014.

1. sph34

sph34
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    No rhyme or reason what's your gut feeling?

2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,936ß
    I see him being the #2. Didn't think so at first, but that's what my gut tells me now.

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Akuma2000

Akuma2000
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    It's still early and only the 2nd day of training camp, probably will get a better gage of Palmer and Clausen during preseason games.

4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,936ß
    Absolutely. However, the big thing that Palmer had over Clausen was familiarity. Apparently Clausen is really good at learning the O and has been closing that gap. Then you add in the number of starts he has had over Palmer, the fact that Palmer looked a little shakey (granted - only once... but still), and that Clausen has been impressive, I think he is going to get it.

5. Akuma2000

Akuma2000
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Yea that's right, i forgot that Clausen has more starts than Palmer and i think that experience alone will give him a massive advantage over Palmer.

6. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,775ß
    I don't actually have a favorite because I still think they should keep both if they plan on keeping three QBs but you asked for my gut feeling and my guts tells me that Clausen's greater talent and game experience will win out.

I expect that much like last summer the two will both look pretty good in the preseason games just as Palmer and McCown did. Jay always has some say in this and IMHO I think he'd like a guy he can take under his wing a bit and to me that spells Clausen.

But Palmer is probably the more cerebral one who'll chart plays, watch film, and have a better handle on the offense and the defenses they'll face so he becomes a valuable part of the bench. I think Palmer is actually a QB coach in waiting so here's his chance to work a little like one.

Keep 'em both I say and move Fales to the PS where he can get some seasoning for a year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,223ß
    My gut goes for Clausen over Palmer also. I think the Bears said they would keep 3 QB's so I think the real question is will they risk exposing Fales to another team trying to get him to the PS or will he be the 3rd. Fales will be on the team for sure, so is Clausen and Palmer battling for 2 and 3 spot, or are they battling for 2 spot and the other will not make the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,294ß
    Fales had a lot of positive spin coming into the draft. Some of the analysts had him as a project that would end up as a NFL starting QB.

If he gets any playing time in the PS and shows talent, it may be hard to get him on to the PS.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DavidL

DavidL
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,896ß
    Wait for training camp and preseason results. At this point, though, I predict Clausen.

10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,275ß
    This ^^^^^

I really like this scenario. Having three veterans like this, helping prepare for opponents will be a valuable asset each week. It will be good for Jay to have these two vets with him as we journey through this season too. If Jay goes down to injury, I believe either of the two vets can step in and we'll not miss a beat - like last year with McCown. But I do believe Clausen will probably be the #2. Fales will be on the practice squad, and I really don't worry about a team poaching him from us if we make the PS move with him. He will be in a very sweet position if he stays here in Chicago with Trestman grooming him for the NFL. He'd be pretty shortsighted if he signed to another team that could result in a very short NFL career for him. If he stays here and learns from the QB whisperer, he may have a nice NFL career........at least it increases his chance of sticking in the NFL that is a league that eats QB's like Fales alive and quickly throws them on the crap pile. If it were me I'd kill to stay here with Trestman on the PS.

• Like Like x 1