Yay or Nay on Clausen as backup

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by sph34, Jul 25, 2014.

1. sph34

sph34 Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No rhyme or reason what's your gut feeling?
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    I see him being the #2. Didn't think so at first, but that's what my gut tells me now.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    It's still early and only the 2nd day of training camp, probably will get a better gage of Palmer and Clausen during preseason games.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    Absolutely. However, the big thing that Palmer had over Clausen was familiarity. Apparently Clausen is really good at learning the O and has been closing that gap. Then you add in the number of starts he has had over Palmer, the fact that Palmer looked a little shakey (granted - only once... but still), and that Clausen has been impressive, I think he is going to get it.
  5. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Yea that's right, i forgot that Clausen has more starts than Palmer and i think that experience alone will give him a massive advantage over Palmer.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I don't actually have a favorite because I still think they should keep both if they plan on keeping three QBs but you asked for my gut feeling and my guts tells me that Clausen's greater talent and game experience will win out.

I expect that much like last summer the two will both look pretty good in the preseason games just as Palmer and McCown did. Jay always has some say in this and IMHO I think he'd like a guy he can take under his wing a bit and to me that spells Clausen.

But Palmer is probably the more cerebral one who'll chart plays, watch film, and have a better handle on the offense and the defenses they'll face so he becomes a valuable part of the bench. I think Palmer is actually a QB coach in waiting so here's his chance to work a little like one.

Keep 'em both I say and move Fales to the PS where he can get some seasoning for a year.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    My gut goes for Clausen over Palmer also. I think the Bears said they would keep 3 QB's so I think the real question is will they risk exposing Fales to another team trying to get him to the PS or will he be the 3rd. Fales will be on the team for sure, so is Clausen and Palmer battling for 2 and 3 spot, or are they battling for 2 spot and the other will not make the team.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Fales had a lot of positive spin coming into the draft. Some of the analysts had him as a project that would end up as a NFL starting QB.

If he gets any playing time in the PS and shows talent, it may be hard to get him on to the PS.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Wait for training camp and preseason results. At this point, though, I predict Clausen.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    This ^^^^^

I really like this scenario. Having three veterans like this, helping prepare for opponents will be a valuable asset each week. It will be good for Jay to have these two vets with him as we journey through this season too. If Jay goes down to injury, I believe either of the two vets can step in and we'll not miss a beat - like last year with McCown. But I do believe Clausen will probably be the #2. Fales will be on the practice squad, and I really don't worry about a team poaching him from us if we make the PS move with him. He will be in a very sweet position if he stays here in Chicago with Trestman grooming him for the NFL. He'd be pretty shortsighted if he signed to another team that could result in a very short NFL career for him. If he stays here and learns from the QB whisperer, he may have a nice NFL career........at least it increases his chance of sticking in the NFL that is a league that eats QB's like Fales alive and quickly throws them on the crap pile. If it were me I'd kill to stay here with Trestman on the PS.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Both Clausen and McCown got picked by a rookie on their first day, but only Clausen's was attributed to Tolliver for running the wrong route. So the edge, although slight, is w/Clausen right now.

As for Fales, I see no reason for 3 vet backups on the roster, especially when one will be guaranteed to be sitting at home(Palmer) if he were to be cut. Then you don't have to expose Fales. All it takes is one team to have thought he was worth a draft in the late rounds, wanting to make a run at him in UDFA to look his way after he's put on waivers. Unless he's just horrible in Preseason that's just to high of a risk imo.
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    If another team picks him up and puts him on the active roster I do not believe Fales has the option of staying. If another team would try and sign him to a practice squad then he would have a choice.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    regardless it's not worth that risk, no reason to think you'll need a 3rd vet qb anyways and if you do Palmer will be waiting by his phone looking for that call; he already knows the system and has shown he keeps himself in good shape in case he needs to be called up.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

I agree with you which to me says there's really no reason to showcase him in the preseason at all save for a series or two just to give him some exposure. Cutler will play a few series in the first two games and probably half of the third game. With Clausen and Palmer in a battle for the #2 spot all the way through preseason why even bother using Fales more than a token series or two. The less anyone sees of him the better.
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yep, if we release him before the season begins he's fair game for any team who wants to claim him because in essence he's no longer signed to the Bears. That's how we picked up Bass last year. Oakland wanted to get him on their PS but we scooped him up.

A team could pick him up off waivers and can even put him on their PS to if they want then. But once he clears waivers and we sign him to our PS the only way a team can take him is by putting him on the active roster and actually he would have the choice then to not accept that offer.

We had to lay out $100k bonus last fall in order to get Chris Williams to agree to leave the NOLA PS. If a team comes after him when he on our PS then he'd have to weigh getting a bigger paycheck by being active now vs sticking around with Trestman and maybe doing better later on.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    I agree with you Ric. So that means you are wrong, LOL!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    Did you look at the clip of the first pick by Fuller?

Fuller's diving interception

IMO, it was really a big league play. It could be that the pick was more on Tolliver that on the QB. The ball was well short of the receiver.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Noting against Jordan Palmer but, I'm rooting for Jimmy Clausen to win the #2 QB spot.

I prefer Clausen's experience over Palmer' lack thereof.
  19. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    As a side note, Palmer has not looked good in camp thus far. He threw another pick today this time to LB Khaseem Greene.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    It sounds early on like Clausen is pulling into the lead for the #2 job. I agree with Soul that frankly I'd like to keep both of them and store Fales on the PS for a year. I wouldn't want DF to become the backup if there's an injury.

[For those of you who complain that Palmer has "only played 15 NFL regular season snaps" consider that Fales has played zero and is a 6th round rookie from a small college in his very first NFL camp.]

But, Ric makes a good point too. If Palmer is a "call back option" (i.e. no one is going to sign him so he will be sitting at home until called) then you don't need to risk Fales to the waiver wire.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1