Yay or Nay on Clausen as backup

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by sph34, Jul 25, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,479ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Both Clausen and McCown got picked by a rookie on their first day, but only Clausen's was attributed to Tolliver for running the wrong route. So the edge, although slight, is w/Clausen right now.

As for Fales, I see no reason for 3 vet backups on the roster, especially when one will be guaranteed to be sitting at home(Palmer) if he were to be cut. Then you don't have to expose Fales. All it takes is one team to have thought he was worth a draft in the late rounds, wanting to make a run at him in UDFA to look his way after he's put on waivers. Unless he's just horrible in Preseason that's just to high of a risk imo.

2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,304ß
    If another team picks him up and puts him on the active roster I do not believe Fales has the option of staying. If another team would try and sign him to a practice squad then he would have a choice.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,479ß
    regardless it's not worth that risk, no reason to think you'll need a 3rd vet qb anyways and if you do Palmer will be waiting by his phone looking for that call; he already knows the system and has shown he keeps himself in good shape in case he needs to be called up.

4. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß

I agree with you which to me says there's really no reason to showcase him in the preseason at all save for a series or two just to give him some exposure. Cutler will play a few series in the first two games and probably half of the third game. With Clausen and Palmer in a battle for the #2 spot all the way through preseason why even bother using Fales more than a token series or two. The less anyone sees of him the better.

5. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,938ß
    Yep, if we release him before the season begins he's fair game for any team who wants to claim him because in essence he's no longer signed to the Bears. That's how we picked up Bass last year. Oakland wanted to get him on their PS but we scooped him up.

A team could pick him up off waivers and can even put him on their PS to if they want then. But once he clears waivers and we sign him to our PS the only way a team can take him is by putting him on the active roster and actually he would have the choice then to not accept that offer.

We had to lay out $100k bonus last fall in order to get Chris Williams to agree to leave the NOLA PS. If a team comes after him when he on our PS then he'd have to weigh getting a bigger paycheck by being active now vs sticking around with Trestman and maybe doing better later on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,205ß
    I agree with you Ric. So that means you are wrong, LOL!

• Like Like x 1
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,564ß
    Did you look at the clip of the first pick by Fuller?

Fuller's diving interception

IMO, it was really a big league play. It could be that the pick was more on Tolliver that on the QB. The ball was well short of the receiver.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    Noting against Jordan Palmer but, I'm rooting for Jimmy Clausen to win the #2 QB spot.

I prefer Clausen's experience over Palmer' lack thereof.

9. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    176ß
    As a side note, Palmer has not looked good in camp thus far. He threw another pick today this time to LB Khaseem Greene.

10. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,405ß
    It sounds early on like Clausen is pulling into the lead for the #2 job. I agree with Soul that frankly I'd like to keep both of them and store Fales on the PS for a year. I wouldn't want DF to become the backup if there's an injury.

[For those of you who complain that Palmer has "only played 15 NFL regular season snaps" consider that Fales has played zero and is a 6th round rookie from a small college in his very first NFL camp.]

But, Ric makes a good point too. If Palmer is a "call back option" (i.e. no one is going to sign him so he will be sitting at home until called) then you don't need to risk Fales to the waiver wire.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1