Ye ol' mailbag

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Oct 31, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I think CornWash was on the field for one series, If you blinked, you missed it.

I wanted to see him split time with McClellin for 3 games. If CornWash gets ONE sack, he will have more in 3 games than McClellin has had in 7. Nothing to lose. And that's to say nothing about teams running over McClellin like a Sherman tank. It is a fact that CornWash is bigger, faster, and MUCH stronger than McClellin. Bearstuff is confident that CornWash can stop the run better than McClellin. As a UGA fan,he has seen more than Biggs. As for Tucker, I think MPbears68 is right on the money. Tucker is just playing it "safe" .

2. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    David, did Biggs sent you a t-shirt or something? You know, as an award for getting your question answered in print?! :)

3. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    I think he said in one of his previous mailbags that he was getting a steady stream of questions about Washington, so maybe mine was the straw that broke the camel's back and he felt obliged to finally say something about it. Given what he said, it will be interesting to hear what he says if Tucker lets CornWash play this season.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,865ß
    What you want, and what the team saw while he was on the field for a short series are 2 completely differnt things.

Again look at the fact that they picked up Bass and he's getting the playing time you think Corny should be getting, that should tell you everything the team feels he has shown in practice and on the field.

5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    Do you know that Peppers stats are even worse than McClellin's when you count subjective things like "pressures" and "hurries" on the QB? At least that's what people who try to quantify this stuff claim. I have seen Peppers loafing (running half-speed before whistle). Marineli used to humiliate players for doing that. So, what I want is to have Bass/Peppers split time at one DE and McClellin/Cornwash split time at the other DE. That keeps everyone fresh for 4Q. If they are going to play crap defense, let's at least have them rested and hustling in the 4Q instead of exhausted from going up and down the field all day for 400 yards of offense by the opponent. These close games are won/lost in the last 5 minutes by whoever can get a defensive stop. The NFL seems to become more like the NBA every year.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,865ß
    David, did you know they are asking Peppers to stunt and take on other OL to help get pressure from the other D players? Are they asking Shea, Bass, or Paea to do that? Why aren't they? B/c they can't that's why. Peppers at 80% is still the best guy on the DL right now. Peppers isn't being sat, he's getting paid to much, and he's proven to be to good in the past.

Again w/this crazy CWash nonsense, I get it, you like the kid, probably a big Georia fan and were estatic that he got drafted by the Bears. Cool, I was a big Allen fan at rb, thought he gave a nice change of pace and the ability to hit home runs....but reality is the coaches get to see these guys everyday and neither are good enough to see the field right now, hell Allen didn't even make the cut. We all have our backend favorites, but crying about them not seeing the field is nonsensical.

As Biggs points out, Wash was brought in as a developmental guy, and not someone that was supposed to play this year. W/that said Wash got his shot and didn't impress, Bass got a shot and did, hense why one is finding the field more and the other isn't.

Zero shot of Peppers/Bass and Shea/CWash splitting significant time; unless they decide to bring you in as DC.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    As long at Wooton is forced to play inside, Peppers and Bass are our two best DEs. Considering that Bass is a 7th round rookie who's outplaying a 2nd year 1st round draft pick, that says a lot. I have to believe that Corny simply isn't ready and that Shea is getting every benefit of the doubt to show whatever he can show (which apparently isn't much). Pep, as much as we all hate to face it, is simply high-mileage at this point and not the player he once was just 2 years ago. He also is probably just playing out his last year (he surely knows he won't be back) trying to not get hurt.

The whole situation is a mess and I suspect we won't see CW until the season is officially in the tank (when we are 6-8 for instance). The only tiny sliver of a silver lining I see here is that maybe Bass was a nice pickup from the waiver wire and can be a solid depth player at DE for the future. Yeah, I'm grasping at straws here because Pep is done and Shea never got started.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,060ß
    How much work does a guy like CornWash get once the regular season begins? I'm curious. At training camp and pre-season the young backups get a lot of work. Do they still get solid development time during the season? If so, then maybe he'll be playing at a higher level as the season progresses. But it not, then maybe he'll need another off-season, summer training camp & pre-season before he is ready to play at a high level.

I don't claim to know anything here. I'm just as curious as everyone else, and hopeful that CW ultimately is a real stud for us.

9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,795ß
    I go by what my eyes see on the field. I see Peppers...

1. NOT getting double-teamed. Why bother?
    2, NOT making plays. One sack all year and giving yards on runs.
    3. NOT hustling. Trailing the play and jogging before the whistle.

What do you see? Play Bass.

What kind of "shot" is it when the guy only gets on the field in one game for a few plays?

What kind of "development" does a guy get on the inactive list? If McClellin weren't killing us, I wouldn't be campaigning for CornWash to get SOME playing time.

If the second half of the season goes like the first half,the only development CornWash will make will be his muscles in the weight room getting his bench press from 500 lbs. to 550.

10. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    I agree with David. Ya reach a point where you are FORCED to try anything and everything. EVEN if the coaches are CONVINCED Corn Wash isn't ready, they should still play him on the .00000000001% chance he shocks them. We ALREADY KNOW, with 100% CERTAINTY that Shea can't play DE effectively. At least give Corn Wash the chance to PROVE the same before you give up on him. Can he really play that much worse than Shea???? Hell, how much worse can the defense get with Corn Wash in there for a few plays?! So we give up 70 points against Green Bay instead of 65 points?? lol.