Yet Another Article Stating The Case For Calvin Pryor at #14

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 21, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here's yet another article stating the obvious reasons why Calvin Pryor should be the Bears pick at #14. I'd be happy with either Pryor or Donald. I think AD is going to be gone when the Bears pick and that they'll take a Safety in the 1st round.

Pryor sounds like he's the real deal. He has the size,toughness, and tackling ability of a SS and the ball hawking ability of a FS.

I don't put too much stock in Mock drafts because they're wrong 99.9% of the time especially when it comes to Emery. Most mocks have us taking Donald. I hope Pryor stays "under the radar' and off of most Bears mocks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ft-countdown-making-the-case-for-calvin-pryor

Chicago Bears Draft Countdown: Making the Case for Calvin Pryor
    By Matt Eurich , Featured Columnist Apr 20, 2014

After a difficult season in 2013 for the Chicago Bears defense, particularly at safety, general manager Phil Emery made it clear that the team wants to improve the position.

The team re-signed veteran Craig Steltz and also signed Ryan Mundy, M.D. Jennings and Danny McCray, via ChicagoBears.com, for a chance to compete with incumbent starter Chris Conte.

Despite those additions via free agency, Emery has stated that he is not done looking at improving the team's safety position, as reported by the Chicago Sun-Times: "We’re definitely going to look at the safety position. Continue to look at it extensively in the [free-agent] market and the draft and post-draft,” he said.

Safety was already high on the Bears' list of priorities heading into the draft, but an injury to Conte, who was expected to compete for the starting free safety spot, will keep him out four to five months after undergoing shoulder surgery in late March, via Larry Mayer of ChicagoBears.com, leaving both safety positions wide open.

While the Bears could address the defensive tackle position with their 14th overall selection in the draft, Louisville's Calvin Pryor may be too difficult to pass up if he is still on the board.

At 5'11" and 207 pounds, according to NFL.com, Pryor packs a punch as a tackler as he routinely makes hard-hitting, highlight-reel tackles.

Nolan Nawrocki of NFL.com wrote that Pryor "carries a swagger and plays with confidence." Swagger and confidence are two things that the Bears have not had at the position since Mike Brown was on the roster in the early 2000s.

He has the ability to come up in the box and make tackles as a strong safety, but also possesses the athleticism and ball-hawking abilities of a free safety. He plays with great instincts, has fluid hips that allow him to turn on the ball and is one of the most feared hitters in this draft class.

Mayock on Louisville S Calvin Pryor: A bigger, stronger Bob Sanders. Flies around, hits people. Explodes everywhere. Better in box. #Bears
    — Rich Campbell (@Rich_Campbell) February 18, 2014

In a copycat league like the NFL, teams are trying to find the next safety that can play like the Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. NFL.com's Gil Brandt drew the comparison of Pryor to Thomas, writing: "Pryor looks like a carbon copy of Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas; he really punishes people as a tackler and has great coverage skills."

Key point on Pryor IMO, taken from @SI_DougFarrar's piece http://t.co/vpFN4UYUcQ pic.twitter.com/jRuRPaFrAY
    — Cian Fahey (@Cianaf) April 18, 2014

Pryor's game, in my opinion, resembles Chancellor's a bit more because of his penchant for big hits and ability to dominate in the run game from inside the box, but his coverage skills and ability to cover from sideline-to-sideline are underrated.

Despite being most well-known for his hard-hitting play, he has been effective at creating turnovers, something the Bears defense has been known for in recent years.

The Bears have already shown some interest in Pryor, bringing him in for a pre-draft workout, according to ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson:

Filed to http://t.co/mnFHigRV1y: Louisville S Calvin Pryor made pre-draft visit to #Bears, per sources.
    — Jeff Dickerson (@ESPNChiBears) April 10, 2014

"I bring a certain type of physicalness to the defense,’’ Pryor told Patrick Finely of the Chicago Sun-Times last week. ‘‘The Bears are already known to be physical."
    He also went on to comment about his playmaking ability, saying, ‘‘That playmaker ability, that’s what I can bring to the team. . . . If I get added to the team.’’
    Bleacher Report's Matt Miller likes Pryor's flexibility at the position, writing:
    Once unleashed in an NFL defense, Pryor has big room to improve. Given his versatility as a kind of hybrid free/strong safety, he has massive upside in that he can develop in either direction and bring big value to an NFL defense.

The league has shifted to using more hybrid free and strong safeties as the two positions have become more or less interchangeable in many NFL defenses. Many teams prefer their safeties to be able to take on both sets of responsibilities, whether it be playing up in the box against the run or being able to cover the back half of the field as a single-high safety.

Pryor's hard-hitting nature and above-average coverage skills have shown that he has just scratched the surface with his potential at safety. The Bears have struggled for the better part of a decade to try and find a consistent piece at either strong or free safety, and they could finally find that piece if they take Pryor in the first round.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    all these articles that are pro pryor are just more proof it won't be pryor :|
  3. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Being a huge fan of Pryor myself, that's my fear as well.
  4. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    As long as he stays off of the so-called "experts" mock drafts I think we'll be alright.

He has ties to former Louisville and current Bears coach Clint Hurtt which I think bodes very well for us.
  5. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    As a sidenote, Besides a lot of the Mock Drafts saying that we're going to take Aaron Donald, I still see quite a few saying we'll take FSU DT Timmy Jernigan.

This makes absolutely ZERO sense IMO and whoever keeps saying the Bears are going to take Jernigan either isn't paying attention or doesn't know what they're talking about. (or both) Jernigan is a TERRIBLE fit in our system, lacks the physical tools that Emery has reportedly been looking for (his arms are too short) and based on his stats in college, his athleticism is in a huge question mark as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    BiM, Pryor is hardly "under the radar" I'm afraid. He's long been considered a likely 1st rounder, it's well known that he's visited the Bears (and others), and it's no secret to anyone that the S position is one we are going to be targeting in the draft.

I'd definitely take Dix or Donald ahead of him but he's a very viable #3 option IMO.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    I'd agree. I believe they'd take a chance on Hageman's upside before taking Jernigan but all things considered Donald is the guy who helps best day one. Where Jernigan does fit quite well is as a partner to Melton in Dallas. They have our former 3 tech DT and we have their former NT, Ratliff. Jernigan is far more a Shade NT than a 3 tech guy. I see him as being a lot like Paea.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ft-countdown-making-the-case-for-calvin-pryor

Chicago Bears Draft Countdown: Making the Case for Calvin Pryor
    By Matt Eurich , Featured Columnist Apr 20, 2014

After a difficult season in 2013 for the Chicago Bears defense, particularly at safety, general manager Phil Emery made it clear that the team wants to improve the position.

The team re-signed veteran Craig Steltz and also signed Ryan Mundy, M.D. Jennings and Danny McCray, via ChicagoBears.com, for a chance to compete with incumbent starter Chris Conte.

Despite those additions via free agency, Emery has stated that he is not done looking at improving the team's safety position, as reported by the Chicago Sun-Times: "We’re definitely going to look at the safety position. Continue to look at it extensively in the [free-agent] market and the draft and post-draft,” he said.

Safety was already high on the Bears' list of priorities heading into the draft, but an injury to Conte, who was expected to compete for the starting free safety spot, will keep him out four to five months after undergoing shoulder surgery in late March, via Larry Mayer of ChicagoBears.com, leaving both safety positions wide open.

While the Bears could address the defensive tackle position with their 14th overall selection in the draft, Louisville's Calvin Pryor may be too difficult to pass up if he is still on the board.

At 5'11" and 207 pounds, according to NFL.com, Pryor packs a punch as a tackler as he routinely makes hard-hitting, highlight-reel tackles.

Nolan Nawrocki of NFL.com wrote that Pryor "carries a swagger and plays with confidence." Swagger and confidence are two things that the Bears have not had at the position since Mike Brown was on the roster in the early 2000s.Imo our defense needs this. We lacked attitude last year. We lacked a guy to sparkplug the boys and get people excited. We missed a guy to electrify Soldier's Field and get the faithful pulsing.

He has the ability to come up in the box and make tackles as a strong safety, but also possesses the athleticism and ball-hawking abilities of a free safety. Need this as well. Our S position is a tire fire at best now, a talented guy in many areas will only help. He plays with great instincts, has fluid hips that allow him to turn on the ball and is one of the most feared hitters in this draft class.

Mayock on Louisville S Calvin Pryor: A bigger, stronger Bob Sanders. Flies around, hits people. Explodes everywhere. Better in box. #Bears
    — Rich Campbell (@Rich_Campbell) February 18, 2014

In a copycat league like the NFL, teams are trying to find the next safety that can play like the Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. NFL.com's Gil Brandt drew the comparison of Pryor to Thomas, writing: "Pryor looks like a carbon copy of Seattle Seahawks safety Earl Thomas; he really punishes people as a tackler and has great coverage skills."Don't like player comparisons. If Pryor is a Bear I wouldn't want Pryor to 'be like Thomas' I want Pryor to play like Pryor and play well in his own style. Not a bad guy to be compared to by any means tho.

Key point on Pryor IMO, taken from @SI_DougFarrar's piece http://t.co/vpFN4UYUcQ pic.twitter.com/jRuRPaFrAY
    — Cian Fahey (@Cianaf) April 18, 2014

Pryor's game, in my opinion, resembles Chancellor's a bit more because of his penchant for big hits and ability to dominate in the run game from inside the box, but his coverage skills and ability to cover from sideline-to-sideline are underrated.

Despite being most well-known for his hard-hitting play, he has been effective at creating turnovers, something the Bears defense has been known for in recent years. He double digit forced fumbles at UL. Tillman's time is waning, and anyone who can pop that ball out and get it back to the O is a huge factor. Makes the entire team better tacklers if ball carriers are quicker to get down in a situation that they think he may be coming to jar the ball out.

The Bears have already shown some interest in Pryor, bringing him in for a pre-draft workout, according to ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson:

Filed to http://t.co/mnFHigRV1y: Louisville S Calvin Pryor made pre-draft visit to #Bears, per sources.
    — Jeff Dickerson (@ESPNChiBears) April 10, 2014

"I bring a certain type of physicalness to the defense,’’ Pryor told Patrick Finely of the Chicago Sun-Times last week. ‘‘The Bears are already known to be physical." Frankly, we played like pansies last year on D. Would be a good X factor to start rebuilding this unit.
    He also went on to comment about his playmaking ability, saying, ‘‘That playmaker ability, that’s what I can bring to the team. . . . If I get added to the team.’’
    Bleacher Report's Matt Miller likes Pryor's flexibility at the position, writing:
    Once unleashed in an NFL defense, Pryor has big room to improve. Given his versatility as a kind of hybrid free/strong safety, he has massive upside in that he can develop in either direction and bring big value to an NFL defense.

The league has shifted to using more hybrid free and strong safeties as the two positions have become more or less interchangeable in many NFL defenses. Many teams prefer their safeties to be able to take on both sets of responsibilities, whether it be playing up in the box against the run or being able to cover the back half of the field as a single-high safety.

Pryor's hard-hitting nature and above-average coverage skills have shown that he has just scratched the surface with his potential at safety. The Bears have struggled for the better part of a decade to try and find a consistent piece at either strong or free safety, and they could finally find that piece if they take Pryor in the first round. Said it before and I'll say it again: I think he is the co num one safety in this draft with Dix. Would love this guy at 14
    • Like Like x 3
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    I have the sick feeling that if we miss out on this guy we're going to see him have a very special career for another team while we continue to flounder at the position with bums.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,856 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    I posted this in another thread so I just copied it over to this one to avoid having to redo it. I'll preface it by saying that if we do draft Pryor I won't be upset but if we pass on Donald to take Pryor instead I will think it was a foolish move based on the basic needs of this team and only this team. I could give a diddly fuck what the Packers do. We can't control that but we (meaning the team) can control what we do.

This seems like an appropriate time to make another comment seeing as how 17 out 19 mocks (90%) believe it will be a DT with the choices ranging from Donald to Jernigan to Hageman in that order. The argument against spending our first pick on a S vs a DT is actually pretty simple. Games are won in the trenches not in the defensive backfield. I didn't make it that was it just is.

In 2012 when our pass rush was strong no one worried much about Wright and Conte. Both seemed to be doing well and for intents and purposes it looked like we had two young Safeties who would progress resolve the revolving door of players we've had playing there over the past decade. Now onto 2103 and it was a disaster.

Take away the pass rush and the run stopping ability of the line and the LBs and bam. Wright is gone and Conte his being hung in effigy and persecuted for costing us the playoffs. That's wrong but a few will never be convinced of that. So reassemble a line that can rush the passer so he doesn't have 5 seconds to throw all time and tie down the running game of the bad guys with better line and LB play and wow! We're right back to 2012 again when the two worst Safeties in the NFL in 2013 looked OK. Not great mind you but still OK. You could win with them and we did.

There is no doubt in my mind that we need to add competition and upgrade in that area and Uncle Phil has already done that with players with starting experience so he didn't need to prioritize a Safety and allowed himself more flexibility in the draft. If the BPA at #14 is a S then I imagine he'll take him but I have my doubts that will be the case.

If anyone thinks that the Safety position on this team is more important than a pass rushing DT then I would claim that you don't know your team very well. It isn't and never has been. The Bears draft history will tell you that if your care to take the time to look. We've drafted exactly one S in the first round in the last 60 years (that's as far back as I went) but we've drafted a dozen or more DTs, DEs, and LBs. Those are what makes the Bears defense strong. Not Safeties.

And in the words of the immortal Forrest Gump. "That' about all I have to say about that".
  12. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Donald should be the only first pick, period. Put him on that line and double teams would disappear and sacks and bad throws will increase..something any safety, no matter how good, can do..A great line makes life easy for the secondary. Remember those days when our front 7 was decent? Gee..no one said shit about our secondary..So there is NO situation that would justify taking a safety with the first pick. You can get very good ones with the talent to get better. Reynolds, Loston, Dixon, Moody, Dowling, Telvin Smith or even KP Louis can be converted into big safety's. IF Donald IS gone then Ryan Shazier, a freak athlete 6-2 4.38 232 pounds is a huge safety OR a smaller LB..imagine him flying around..yeah..fuck Pryor..Now HE could play various roles, OLB, MIB, S, DB in nickel packages..VERSATILITY and ATHLETICISM. he has both and would be a no miss pick. Then if Hageman, Tuitt, Nix or Jernigan are around take them. Even Dominique Easley, Kareem Martin or Marcus Smith would make a great pick..or the usual DB with Buchannon..Honestly I would rather take Ed Reynolds in the 3-4th round. He is a ball hawk, cover safety with excellent fundamentals, sure tackling and a high IQ, Stanford, un underrated asset. A talented, extremely fast RB Jerick McKinnon 5-9 210 4.35, 40 vert 11ft. jump 32 reps would be around late. He played RB/QB/DB/WR and could also return kicks..TE/FB Gator Hoskins and AC Leonard are excellent athletes that can play move TE or FB..Trey Millard, Isaiah Crowell and Damien Williams are other late round options.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  13. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  14. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Holy crap..I have been pounding that logic for months.Why is so hard to understand that a safety, no matter how good, cannot cover forever...they rely on the front line to force bad throws and shorten cover times..IF you have been a fan for over 40 years like I have it's very simple right? IT ALWAYS STARTS UP FRONT..offense or defense..did you hear that you silly people who think Pryor or Dix are the best picks..Retarded.. IF Aaron is gone take a LB, like Shazier, he can be a giant safety with great speed and athleticism, plus he can also play any LB position..Hmmm Imagine that..and don't we NEED LB's too? He could start unlike Dix or Pryor since the Bears just signed 3 vets and are not likely to start any DB over vets including Tillman and Jennings, so why waste a 1st pick on a player that might not start? STUPID..How hard is that to figure out.. Reynolds, Loston, Moody, Dixon are all talented safeties that will be around mid to late, and any secondary would look great when the front line is kicking ass..Thank you for having the knowledge that these others don't.
  15. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  16. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Pryor is overrated..he hits big..so what? IS that talent? To blindside someone and possibly get flagged? How about a bigger, faster, more athletic player that can cover and hit and tackle like a missile? Ryan Shazier has the speed and super athleticism that would allow him to play the safety role or the LB role..VERSATILITY...he makes Pryor look like a child. 6-2, 232 lbs. 4.38 speed 40+ vert..I mean really..no comparison..NOW HE WOULD BE A GREAT FIRST PICK..then you take Hageman, Marcus Smith, Jernigan, Tuitt or Kareem Martin..whomever the best DL player is.
  17. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    SO CORRECT..its soooo damn frustrating..the drop off from Donald is cavernous...you can't say take Pryor and then take the next best DT..fuck that..that is a LOSE, LOSE situation..IF he is gone, take Shazier, a ridiculous super athlete that can make Pryor look like a PUSSY and add a rocket ship to our LB corps..he can play several roles and IS worth a first round pick.
  18. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  19. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Tell me how Pryor could affect the defense MORE than Donald..CAN"T..He relies on the front line to pressure and force bad throws and cut his coverage time right? This is why the Bears would be SMART to take a DT like Donald or an LB like Shazier first since their play directly affects the secondary, not the other way around..NO FUCKING WAY that taking any S makes sense in the first round.
  20. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    THERE IS NO CASE FOR PRYOR OR DIX with the first pick..do you really think they could impact the D more than a great DT? IF so then you don't understand football or defense, or the Bears for that matter...NO safety can look good when the front line gets NO pressure..so imagine a front that is always bringing the heat..even average safety's could have a field day..is that so hard to understand?