Yet Another Article Stating The Case For Calvin Pryor at #14

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Apr 21, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman
    Expand Collapse
    Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,880ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I posted this in another thread so I just copied it over to this one to avoid having to redo it. I'll preface it by saying that if we do draft Pryor I won't be upset but if we pass on Donald to take Pryor instead I will think it was a foolish move based on the basic needs of this team and only this team. I could give a diddly fuck what the Packers do. We can't control that but we (meaning the team) can control what we do.

This seems like an appropriate time to make another comment seeing as how 17 out 19 mocks (90%) believe it will be a DT with the choices ranging from Donald to Jernigan to Hageman in that order. The argument against spending our first pick on a S vs a DT is actually pretty simple. Games are won in the trenches not in the defensive backfield. I didn't make it that was it just is.

In 2012 when our pass rush was strong no one worried much about Wright and Conte. Both seemed to be doing well and for intents and purposes it looked like we had two young Safeties who would progress resolve the revolving door of players we've had playing there over the past decade. Now onto 2103 and it was a disaster.

Take away the pass rush and the run stopping ability of the line and the LBs and bam. Wright is gone and Conte his being hung in effigy and persecuted for costing us the playoffs. That's wrong but a few will never be convinced of that. So reassemble a line that can rush the passer so he doesn't have 5 seconds to throw all time and tie down the running game of the bad guys with better line and LB play and wow! We're right back to 2012 again when the two worst Safeties in the NFL in 2013 looked OK. Not great mind you but still OK. You could win with them and we did.

There is no doubt in my mind that we need to add competition and upgrade in that area and Uncle Phil has already done that with players with starting experience so he didn't need to prioritize a Safety and allowed himself more flexibility in the draft. If the BPA at #14 is a S then I imagine he'll take him but I have my doubts that will be the case.

If anyone thinks that the Safety position on this team is more important than a pass rushing DT then I would claim that you don't know your team very well. It isn't and never has been. The Bears draft history will tell you that if your care to take the time to look. We've drafted exactly one S in the first round in the last 60 years (that's as far back as I went) but we've drafted a dozen or more DTs, DEs, and LBs. Those are what makes the Bears defense strong. Not Safeties.

And in the words of the immortal Forrest Gump. "That' about all I have to say about that".

2. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Donald should be the only first pick, period. Put him on that line and double teams would disappear and sacks and bad throws will increase..something any safety, no matter how good, can do..A great line makes life easy for the secondary. Remember those days when our front 7 was decent? Gee..no one said shit about our secondary..So there is NO situation that would justify taking a safety with the first pick. You can get very good ones with the talent to get better. Reynolds, Loston, Dixon, Moody, Dowling, Telvin Smith or even KP Louis can be converted into big safety's. IF Donald IS gone then Ryan Shazier, a freak athlete 6-2 4.38 232 pounds is a huge safety OR a smaller LB..imagine him flying around..yeah..fuck Pryor..Now HE could play various roles, OLB, MIB, S, DB in nickel packages..VERSATILITY and ATHLETICISM. he has both and would be a no miss pick. Then if Hageman, Tuitt, Nix or Jernigan are around take them. Even Dominique Easley, Kareem Martin or Marcus Smith would make a great pick..or the usual DB with Buchannon..Honestly I would rather take Ed Reynolds in the 3-4th round. He is a ball hawk, cover safety with excellent fundamentals, sure tackling and a high IQ, Stanford, un underrated asset. A talented, extremely fast RB Jerick McKinnon 5-9 210 4.35, 40 vert 11ft. jump 32 reps would be around late. He played RB/QB/DB/WR and could also return kicks..TE/FB Gator Hoskins and AC Leonard are excellent athletes that can play move TE or FB..Trey Millard, Isaiah Crowell and Damien Williams are other late round options.

#12 frankiedynomite, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  3. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:

4. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Holy crap..I have been pounding that logic for months.Why is so hard to understand that a safety, no matter how good, cannot cover forever...they rely on the front line to force bad throws and shorten cover times..IF you have been a fan for over 40 years like I have it's very simple right? IT ALWAYS STARTS UP FRONT..offense or defense..did you hear that you silly people who think Pryor or Dix are the best picks..Retarded.. IF Aaron is gone take a LB, like Shazier, he can be a giant safety with great speed and athleticism, plus he can also play any LB position..Hmmm Imagine that..and don't we NEED LB's too? He could start unlike Dix or Pryor since the Bears just signed 3 vets and are not likely to start any DB over vets including Tillman and Jennings, so why waste a 1st pick on a player that might not start? STUPID..How hard is that to figure out.. Reynolds, Loston, Moody, Dixon are all talented safeties that will be around mid to late, and any secondary would look great when the front line is kicking ass..Thank you for having the knowledge that these others don't.

5. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:

6. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Pryor is overrated..he hits big..so what? IS that talent? To blindside someone and possibly get flagged? How about a bigger, faster, more athletic player that can cover and hit and tackle like a missile? Ryan Shazier has the speed and super athleticism that would allow him to play the safety role or the LB role..VERSATILITY...he makes Pryor look like a child. 6-2, 232 lbs. 4.38 speed 40+ vert..I mean really..no comparison..NOW HE WOULD BE A GREAT FIRST PICK..then you take Hageman, Marcus Smith, Jernigan, Tuitt or Kareem Martin..whomever the best DL player is.

7. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    SO CORRECT..its soooo damn frustrating..the drop off from Donald is cavernous...you can't say take Pryor and then take the next best DT..fuck that..that is a LOSE, LOSE situation..IF he is gone, take Shazier, a ridiculous super athlete that can make Pryor look like a PUSSY and add a rocket ship to our LB corps..he can play several roles and IS worth a first round pick.

8. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:

9. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Tell me how Pryor could affect the defense MORE than Donald..CAN"T..He relies on the front line to pressure and force bad throws and cut his coverage time right? This is why the Bears would be SMART to take a DT like Donald or an LB like Shazier first since their play directly affects the secondary, not the other way around..NO FUCKING WAY that taking any S makes sense in the first round.

10. frankiedynomite

frankiedynomite
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    THERE IS NO CASE FOR PRYOR OR DIX with the first pick..do you really think they could impact the D more than a great DT? IF so then you don't understand football or defense, or the Bears for that matter...NO safety can look good when the front line gets NO pressure..so imagine a front that is always bringing the heat..even average safety's could have a field day..is that so hard to understand?