You must replace one of our two safeties at years' end, who is it?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Nov 17, 2013.

?

who would you replace, and why?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,138 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    448ß
    +1

If either of these safeties are starters on next year's defense, we will have a critically weak spot that will be exploited by offenses. We need to upgrade both positions. Both of these guys will be out of the NFL soon. They really don't even look like backup material. I realize we have a lot of needs on defense, and limited draft picks to use to fill those needs, but hopefully we can bring in a FA or two to upgrade both positions. Emery might even find an UFA kid who is better than Wright.

But both of these guys need to be replaced.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    God, that brought back some bad memories....
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I swear to god, the only thing I REALLY remember about the guy, is how he helped Adrian Peterson completely destroy our defense twice in '07. We might as well have put two more linebackers in the safeties spots, and have Urlacher play deep all season.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    For a guy that at one point was a difference maker, he was just awful....

Well, I guess you could say he was still a difference maker when he was on the field.... Just not a positive difference maker... Not for us anyway.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    This was one of those decisions that even Lovie apologists couldn't downplay. Dude had the chance to play for us, took the bigger money and FAILED in Washington, got traded to us for a 6th (while retaining his horrible contract), and proved that Lovie was wrong when he said/implied/whateveriforgot that Washington's defense "was a bad fit". I really don't even think any Bears fan needed hindsight to see how bad of a move that was at the time.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,737 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,301ß
    That's easy, Wright, and my guess is he will be. Much like Manning he'll get a better offer than he'll get here because the Bears don't spend a lot of $$$ on their Safeties. If we did then Manning would still be the SS instead of Wright. I'd really hoped Hardin would have stepped up this year and beat him out or at least challenged for that spot. The guy had size and speed that was scary but three straight years of being injured and showing no improvement in your game isn't gonna cut it.

My guess is that Emery and his pro scouts will look for a SS in FA and draft another. Conte is far from safe and secure at FS but he's picked his game up again these past two and he's still under contract so he'll get another year to prove himself. Conte is by far the smarter and more instinctive of the two and still has upside. The lack of a pass rush has hurt both Safeties this year but Conte is still the more consistent of the two and his game grades are better than Wrights who never could cover and can't or won't tackle now. He's one guy I see whose playing it safe physically because he's in a contract year and doesn't want to get injured. SS have can have a pretty short life span in the NFL and he's already been around 4 years. He was only a 3rd round pick I think he wants to move on where he can get his one shot at a bigger deal which he knows the Bears won't offer him.

JMHO
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,721 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    I thought you hated Wright
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    I feel a great disturbance in the force....
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    Did you just eat some tacos?
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    I feel like it, but some Taco's w/some really old fetid meat. Soul and I pretty much agreed on what and why...minus the idiocy that Wright is somehow a good S.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Well, the questing IS: If you must replace one of our two safeties, which is it? I completely agree with him that we shoulda kept Manning. I also completely agree with him that Wright prematurely ended Urlacher's career. I also agree with him that Chad Pennington should be starting this year.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,333 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    Unless you are an offensive lineman under Mile Tice
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    I imagine player evaluations went something like this, under Tice:

Tice: "Hey Webb, think you did better that game?" *unsure pause* "Um, Yes coach?" "works for me".

"Hey Carimi, I've noticed your knee looks pretty bad, you sure you should be playing on it?" "Yeah, coach, it'll be fine" "works for me"

"Hey, Omiyale, I liked your dance moves out there, but do you think you can block next time?" "Absolutely, coach" "hahahaa, I'm not even that dumb, clear your ***** locker"
  14. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Replace Wright, Tucker gets his D settled and Conte will be the next resurgence story ala McCown. Done and done.
  15. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Maybe Conte can stay as one of the back up's?
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,090 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    I agree with this entirely. Conte >> Wright as far as who stays and who goes. I can't see Emery offering MW a new contract after the abysmal year he's having. Conte is way more savvy (his mistakes have been more physical than mental imo) will end up being kept as he's still got one more season left on his rookie deal to prove himself long term. And, yes, we will need to sign a vet FA safety and draft another one to develop since Hardin flopped so badly.

Wright seems to me to be the defensive version of what Hester was on offense--simply too dumb to "coach up". No way a guy in his 4th year and 3rd as a starter should be making the stupid mistakes he keeps making. Let him walk.