Your thoughts on the Cutler run/hit

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 24, 2013.

?

Did you like Cutler's run/hit?

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,684 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    435ß
    Real simple. Vote, discuss
  2. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,524 / 15 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Melton is out for the year and all he did was plant a foot in the ground. Jay busted a dude in his chops and took the game back with that hit. You can't stop injuries but you can play afraid. I'm happy to see that Jay is able to play football without being scared of something you can't really control.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Hated it.

We risk losing our starting QB vs. possibly losing one game. Not a very good risk/reward value.

After replaying the play on the DVR and listening to Cutler on his ESPN1000 show, he was well beyond the first down when he hit the guy and did not know he was (based on his comments on Monday). He should run when he sees an opportunity to gain yards but needs to be more aware of his situation and make better decisions.
  4. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,639 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    Option 5: Loved it, thanks to the flying spaghetti monster for him not getting injured. Want to see more of that confidence out of him.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,684 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    435ß
    That would fit option 4
  6. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,524 / 15 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß

We risk losing our starting QB every time he drops back. It seems that most season ending injuries are to the knees anyway. A good portion of those are non contact injuries (see Melton) (see Jay in the Packers game). Say Jay does slide there and dude drops a shoulder into him. I have no problem with Jay or anyone on the team being the hitter in that situation. I've seen Jay slide plenty of times. I'll trust his judgment
    • Like Like x 1
  7. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,639 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    I don't like your options, Benji. Plus I'm a hardcore rebel when it comes to message board polls.

and we all know the FSM is in control of this and he deserves praise.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,639 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    Basically... Sorry, but I'm not sorry that Jay is sorry he's not sorry.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    But those risks are unavoidable. I suspect a QB's risk of getting piled on during a slide are significantly lower than what can happen in the pocket during a pass play.
  10. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I voted option #2... while watching the game I loved it b/c it was a much needed momentum changer. While watching the replay though, I think Cutty could have started to slide after obtaining the first down. The point of impact was two yards past the first down marker. The risk (of injury) outweighs the reward here especially since the thought of McCown starting scares me the $hit out of me.
  11. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +525 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    138ß
    Shit happens during a game and not everything is going to be executed the way we like. Welcome to football hits are inevitable and decisions have to be made in split second and less. Some work out the way you want others can become train wrecks that's the risk of the game. If you don't like the unavoidable violence you can always watch golf.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. papageorge

papageorge Newbie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He acknowledged that he would have slid if he hadn't been unsure of the 1st down line. In the game against the Vikings, he slid and came up short even though the thought he had the 1st down. He needed to make sure. Plus he stated that he's comfortable with the contact especially when he initiated it..
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Strangerwithcandy11

Ratings:
    +1,524 / 15 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß

Risk is unavoidable in football. How many times have you seen a QB slide and still get drilled? The rules say you can't but it happens anyway. I'd rather Cutler be the one giving the hit on that play than sliding and being drilled on his way down. Nothing bad happened on that play. In fact it was the play that set the tone for the rest of the game. I like watching guys play like it matters. If he slid and came up short and we lose everyone is complaining that he's a puss. Now that he didn't and we won some are saying he should have slid. Oh well, can't please everyone lol
  14. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,639 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    it's not like he pulled another Cutler-copter like back in '09 vs. Detroit...
    • Like Like x 2
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    I understand we don't want Cutler injured. But it's football and I like to see a guy who plays the game with passion. If all you want is a "game manager" then get a loser QB who doesn't give a crap, except for his own health.

As one poster said earlier today. What the heck do you guys want out of Cutler? If he plays it safe he get's criticized. If he doesn't play it safe he gets criticized. I definitely understand his attitude at this point. He just wants to win. And he's going to do anything and everything to win games. If players get hurt, well, that's pretty much football.

As Mike Ditka used to say "It ain't tiddly winks"
    • Like Like x 2
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,684 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    435ß
    Well, according to M. Bennett there were several players who didn't like his play either
  17. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +667 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I understand both sides of this coin. The meatball old school footballer in me liked it, but the grey matter up in the old cranium thinks he should slide. Who's right? A move like that helps him add credibility with his team mates whether we want to admit it or not, so somewhere down the line that may pay dividends with Jay developing as the undisputed leader of the team. If he gets hurt, then our season is over and that sucks. then again, I really don't want a Quarterback to just be a Quarterback, I want him to be a football player, and what Jay did is what football players do. However, most football players don't wear QB shoulder pads.

There is no right answer here, so let the guy play his game.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,048 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    314ß
    We are making a big deal out of nothing. I don't think we will see this again.
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,684 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    435ß
    I hope not
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +629 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    492ß
    Do it if it is the 4th quarter of the Superbowl, but not game #3. Risk/reward calculation. Unfortunately, Jay takes risks with the ball and his body. That's who he is.