Zach Miller Practices With First-Team Offense (two TE package)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 12, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,778 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    I absolutely love this. With our twin-towers WR's and now this 2-TE set, it's going to be tough for opposing D's.

• Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +727 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    354ß
    Sweet! I'd go for Miller Time with the Unicorn. Sounds like a blast!

Both these guys can block. They both can catch. That makes like five guys plus an RB the defense has to worry about getting downfield. If they double team BM and/or AJ, who are they going to leave open? I Can't wait for the season to start so we can really see this offense come together.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I agree sharky ol buddy, if Miller's production last Friday night wasn't simply a flash in the pan, then we may have something here. I'm not suggesting that he will be the next Jason Witten, but he doesn't have to be. As you suggest, with all the other weapons on this offense, all he has to be is a legitimate threat to catch the ball and all of a sudden he helps the offense tremendously. Hell, before Friday night, I didn't even know the guy existed, much less that he was on our roster. That makes me a bit skeptical; but given his history and the indirect path he took to get here, it also wouldn't surprise me if we found a guy that was just now hitting his stride at the NFL level.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    People asked what the team would do if we lost one of the wr's, I suggested 2 TE sets, looks like that might come true. Miller is really stepping up now that he's showing he's healthy.
  5. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    121ß
    I hope our Zach Miller is closer to the other Zack Miller than Our Adrian Peterson ever got to the other Adrian Peterson. The speed and quickness we saw vs the Eagles was no illusion. His pro-day results
    Pre-draft measurables
    HtWt40-yd dash10-yd split20-yd split20-ss3-coneVertBroadBP
    6 ft 4 in240 lb4.53 s1.55 s2.62 s4.22 s7.06 s37 12 in10 ft 4 in 
    All values from Nebraska-Omaha Pro Day
    if they had been at the 2009 combine, would have put him 2nd among all TEs in the 40, first in the 20 yd SS and third in the 2-cone. Not bad at all.

Anybody got a good handle on his blocking? He seems on the light side for a TE, although that doesn't prove anything of course.
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +929 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    I like the idea. Since watching the 2011 Patriots owning the league with Gronk and Hernandez I've been wishing for a Bears's TE duo. This might be the year.

:woot:
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    That was a hell of a tandem... Hernandez was KILLING it
    • Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +389 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    372ß
    ZM 1.png ZM2.png ZM3.png Zm4.png
    He had some good blocks in the game. I only saw him get beat once on a block against a right defensive end.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    For anyone interested I posted an article on the advantages of the 2 TE set. Good read if you have not seen it or not familiar with why it works
    • Like Like x 2
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,778 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,380ß
    I kind of miss the old Lovie Smith days when good receiving TE's were quickly and quietly sent packing. Mad Mike Martz figured 'ya didn't need 'em.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Funny now TE's and the 2 TE set is the new flinge of many successful offenses in the NFL. Be curious as other teams begin to implement this scheme if the Patriots and Bellicheck will abandon it. Leaders always move on when everyone else starts to do it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +711 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    423ß
    I can think of number of reasons why it would work even with not understanding the intricacies of why. I have always been huge fan of TE going back to the Dave Casper days. I could never understand why they were never really appreciated in Chicago even one that was TE and was a coach. We had coaches that gave them away WTF was that all about. I'm still doing my jig knowing we have hc that understands why they are so vital to the success of any REAL football team in today's NFL.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    I agree. Miller could be the one that can step in and capitalize on the Wilson injury. Right now it doesn't seem that we have a solid number 3 now that Wilson is lost for the foreseeable future.

I look forward to seeing what Miller can do against the jags. I'm sure we will use some 2 TE sets with the ones to see how it all works and it adds an element to our game. If I'm not mistaken this guy can block too, giving Tresty a number of ways to line up and use him/Bennett. Should open the run game up for Forte if we can use a heavy dose of 2 dual threat TEs on the field to go along with our 2 elite WRs.

Guess the rich are seemingly getting richer if Miller works out. Gives us versatility to dictate the flow and tempo of our attack, and as an offense thats a big chunk of winning the battle.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Should help the run game as well and ball control, slip in some passing to keep everyone honest and W-A-L-A. Gives us more options, I still exect to see a lot of 3 WR sets, especially when Wilson returns from his collarbone injury, but with the 3-4 defenses we play this year and the added ability to block the blitzing LB or chip block him and get into a route is going to be a positive in my opinion.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I imagine Trestman is having sweet daydreams over his personnel possibilities. I hate to repeat myself, but Miller moves incredibly well out there and provides mismatch opportunities galore with team's best LBs focusing on Forte and Bennet up the middle, to the corners, in the flats and down the seam.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +486 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    You hit on something that is a good point I'd like to expand on. Against the 3-4 fronts that we will see (GB the big one) twin TE sets can really cause some schematic issues for them. A good way to defeat this front is to spread it out and make those angles from the Jack LBs (OLB/70 backer....they have about a million names) have a more predictable angle. Adding an extra TE makes Mathews play as a 70 and limits the amount of speed rush he can use lining up an extra 4 feet outside. Also, puts stress on those backers to cover more area in the run game and make wider reads on the DL in their 2 gap system. May add some pass coverage responsibilities to the LB corps of the odd front defenses....unless of course Capers is feeling lucky leaving single coverage on Marshall or Jefferys. In that case, good luck Dom.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    The Bears are gonna run thru teams like an F-5 tornado this season, if they use 2 TE sets with what we already have this team is gonna be even more dangerous than last year (before the injuries started).

The Pukers are in trouble, da bears are coming to lay the smackdown !!!
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    The offensive capabilities of this team are expanding year by year under Trestman. Once Wilson is back in @ #3, we are going to be a seriously tough team to deal with offensively. IMO the knockout punch would be if we could actually start blowing holes open for the running game. Forte can still get yards most of the time, but if we actually had a real running threat to compliment the scary passing threat, I think we would give teams a seriously big migraine.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +711 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    423ß
    I got to see the packers play live against the Titans this pass weekend and all I can say is Wow..for us. The starting pac D struggled against a crappy Titan O I was laughing at the pac fans at the game sitting in storm while I sat dry in our seats under the overhang seating. Pep looks old he had a guy dead to to rights and made a big old whiff. The TD the Titans scored on was run to Pep's side which he was suppose to hold down the corner and he blew it big time. I know I know it's only preseason, but I'm so happy Pep is on their team and not the Bears. Time is catching him squarely between the eyes and I can't blame him for that, he used to be dominating player not anymore it only requires a single player to block him.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,941 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,303ß
    I still think Pep has gas in the tank. My personal belief is that he is mentally not there. You have to want to be the best and have that constant drive. I think it is gone from him. Physically, I think he is still better than he shows. We will answer that when he plays Chicago. Whatever he has left in the tank, he will let out against the Bears. If he lays an egg against Chicago, then he is done.

If he plays like Tarzan against us, then the Pecker coaches know what we know. He is still playing, but he has already retired.
    • Agree Agree x 1