Zach Z on 1st day of Bears Minicamp

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 16, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    Pat O'Donnell has hit the top of the ceiling w/every kick, said his leg is massive.

Said Ego and Sutton are HUGE men, said you can see why Phil was enamoured w/them.

said Trestman has been upset w/the O rookies first team a few times and told the entire first string to come off the field to have the 2nd team come on instead.

Fuller looks good, has good "hip swivel",

my phone's radio just stopped working nothing else right now
  2. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    That makes me grin about O'Donnell, hell yes. I love Trest, if you guys don't wanna perform, we'll see what these guy can do. Good lesson for those rooks. Where were you listening?
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    radio is back, fyi this was via 670 the score

said the team is happy about O'Donnell b/c they are going to try and use him to keep field position instead of relying on their KR/PR guy.

Said Lynch has terrific contact balance.

and the radio went dead again...
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,274 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,680ß
    thanks --- I was wondering what might have been happening there. Don;t like to hear that the first rook team was taking it lightly, but obviously they know it's no picnic. now. If they want to sip Marguaritas, they need to make their way to Tampa.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    it wasn't that they were taking it lightly, but things like penalties or false starts or the person lined up wrong. They were running these rookies like they would the vets at reg training camp
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    btw, I heard a bit of a 2nd report, Christian Jones looks like he belongs and Lynch looked pretty good at rb, but it's really hard to tell b/c there is no hitting; but both looked like they belonged.

jones is looking to work at SAM and only SAM.
  7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Saw one of the quotes by Trest was today was about learning how to practice. I love how up-tempo he runs things, you go 100 miles an hour all damn practice. I bet it'll make the game speed a bit easier to imagine when practice is a whirlwind.
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    That's music to my ear. Jones, Lynch, and Lattimore are my favorite UDFA's. Any news on Lattimore? Still though, very happy to hear about Lynch and Jones.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,274 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,680ß
    Excellent. I thought (hoped) that Jones would look good. AT one point he was considered a first round pick. Not sure why he dropped. I'm sure there is a reason, but don't know much about him.
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I believe Jones had to switch from LB to DE due to players leaving and FSU needing some pass rush off the edge. So perhaps some teams wanted more tape or didn't know where he'd go. Also failed a drug test at the combine, think that was big on his draft stock.
  11. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +991 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,141ß
    September can't come soon enough.

:bearbang[1]::bearbang[1]::bearbang[1]:
    :packsuck:
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,274 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,680ß
    That is SSSSOOOOOO true.
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Hell, I'll take some August preseason. I just need some football on the TV.
  14. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Adam Jahns - New #Bears vets Kyle Long and Jordan Mills at rookie minicamp today for all of Day 1. Talking to rookies, helping them out, like coaches.
    12:52pm - 16 May 14

Gotta love that.....
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß

He dropped due to a few things, none of which was his play on a dominant defense last year. He fell completely out of the draft because he has multiple other issues.

First his attitude. At FSU if there was any 'extra circulars' going on after the whistle, you best believe that Jones was right in the middle of it. Running his mouth, taunting, shoving you name it he was doing it. Got his fair share of 15 yarders for stuff like that and Jimbo pulled him quite a few times as a result. It's reported he got in a full blown fist fight with a teammate that he started at a team workout as well late in the year. That really hurt his draft stock.

He has coachability issues as well as questions on handing an NFL playbook and reads. It was reported that he had a hard time following what coaches would tell him and gameplan things. Often did his own thing. Now he had good numbers so it didn't show on Saturdays, but reports that position coaches frankly couldn't stand working with him

And the nail in the coffin for him was flunking a drug test at the combine.

Bottom line, extremely talented and productive player who has all kinds of off the field issues. If he matures and can realize how fragile his opportunity is, then we could have a hell of a player on our hands. If he can't....well we didn't spend a pick on him.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,274 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,680ß
    Thanks Grizz.
    That chicken-shit after the whistle stuff is hopefully just immaturity. If a guy on the field is pissing you off, just shut up and bring it next play. Just keep going after him. Not good to fight your own team mate. He seriously might not be a long termer if he keeps down that road.

Not following directions will also get you cut. Hopefully, someone on the coaching staff can become a guy he respects and will listen to. It would be nice to have him on the team and productive.
  17. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Maybe becoming a UDFA after receiving a 3rd-4th round grade will make him realize talent alone won't make it in this league. Even production alone won't, you gotta keep your nose clean on and off the field if you wanna earn that NFL paycheck.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    Im hoping more for Jones being around real pro's and having a coaching staff that doesn't have to put up w/his BS will be more of a factor then anything. He's got the tools but not the work ethic, which is always more worrisome then people give it credit for. The NFL spits out tons of talented players that it made look like worthless fools. What allows guys to make it in the NFL, or any pro sport, is their work ethic.
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,274 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,680ß
    yeah Ric. I have seen guys with enormous talent just squander it all away because of their work ethic. It is the great equalizer. The talent almost becomes a non factor when you have a guy that does not care or keeps getting into trouble. Hernandez is a great talent, but he is in jail. His talent is doing him no good.
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    Hopefully the coaches and Vets sit the kid down and explain the NFL, what is expected, what is not acceptable, NFL can be "National Football League" or "Not for Long" if you do not get with the gameplan.