Zero sacks. Zero turnovers.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Oct 11, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,875 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    865ß
    This is something the Chicago Bears have not done since December 23, 2007
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    That's a great stat to see, but it makes it all that more frustrating to do that AND get three picks from the defense, and still barely defeat a winless team. A win's a win, though.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    It was exactly the kind of game we needed. And New York was exactly the team we needed to play, at this point of the season. I've never seen Jay play a smarter game. He truly does seem to be listening to Marc Trestman now. He threw the ball (safely) away a number of times, rather than throw interceptions. I wanted to stand up and yell "yes!" every time he did that. It was sweeter to watch than a TD pass. He finally seems to "get it" now.

There will be much tougher teams to face now. But the Giants game was like a glorified pre-season type game, where Jay and the team could work on cleaning up some bad habits.

BradMustersGhost, posted a dynamite thread here today, that seems to explain where we are as a team right now. And it helped me put this game into proper perspective. If you haven't seen the thread it is here (LINK).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,981 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    993ß
    That it took that long is pathetic, but it's good to see they're capable of going it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I loved the brief interview Jay gave after the game where he showed that he is really loving this OL. He seems SO much more relaxed playing behind a decent OL now.
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    232ß
    I agree with just about every single post in this thread. The first two posts basically sum up how I feel about yesterday's game. It's great that we FINALLY had a 0 sack/0 TO game (man, I had no idea that it had been that long, either), BUT that does make our inability to pull away from the Giants in the second half "frustrating", to say the least. We can all agree that there is still A LOT of work to do for everyone on this team. Right now, I would venture to say that we are a slightly above average team hoping evolve into a "good team" by season's end.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I like the direction the team is going in, yea we're gonna have a few bumps along the way in this new offensive scheme but the potential outweighs the hiccups by a longshot.

Also awesome game by Cutler, didn't force anything and threw the ball away to avoid the sack and pressure when nothing was downfield to throw to.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    I don't care how the stats read,this o line has taken a quantum leap forward. Not sure if they can keep up this pace but it would be quite an achievement if they sniffed the top 10 in both rushing and passing categories.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Honestly, the only time our o-line has looked lost out there, collectively and individually, was when they were dealing with Detroit's crowd noise. Don't confuse this with the fact that Detroit's d-line was getting the better of them. On many plays, before the snap, there appeared to be confusion, and a couple of times, Marshall had to correct another receiver for lining up on the LOS, too. These seem like things that are "fixable". They've only had one road game, and Washington is the best thing you could ask for in terms of their second road game: Horrible defense and their fans are Schönwetter, so they can continue to progress at playing on the road in one of the easiest matchups they'll face all year.

To go with the point I was making about confusion before the snap, Cutler also wasted two time outs in the first half. Last night, that came back and bit us in the ass. Not to mention the offense moved like molasses when executing their 2 minute drill. Have any of you seen any 2 minute drill executed so slowly recently? I haven't. The lack of hustle is also something that can be easily fixed via the coaches, but Jay is on his 4th OC, and is still burning timeouts early in the game. One could fairly deduce at this point, that Cutler's at least partially to blame here.

Just a few more thoughts I figured to add about the offense.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    Jay always does pretty well when he has little pressure. I will say that even with little pressure, he usually throws the obligatory stupid throw.... or three... He didn't this time, so this is good. The O is getting up to speed. Just in time to watch the D crap itself.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    His problem with INTs seems to be his refusal to dump the ball off. He's getting better with it, but against Detroit and New Orleans, he just seemed to be ignoring the RB in the passing game, altogether.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    I'm almost thinking that he is having to go through that "game needs to slow down for him" again. Just like a rookie. I still think part of his attention is still on the pass rush. Until he can get comfortable again and stop doing that, he has too much going on in his head and can't process it all. Hence it is "moving too fast" for him just like a rookie (although for different reasons).
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Yeah, kind of like the inverse of Jason Campbell. Campbell would look for the check down first thing, and when under pressure, whereas Jay naturally looks deep first and when under pressure.
  14. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Agree. They just need to work on the run blocking or Trestman has to quit calling running plays up their backs.